Game Dev Tycoon F.A.Q

The Game Dev Tycoon F.A.Q.

Got a question? Hopefully you can find the answer here! If what you are looking for is not here then skip to the end and check out the other ways to find answers and contact us.

Contents

• Steam Key
  • General
  • Gameplay
  • Modding
  • Steam Workshop
  • Troubleshooting
  • More Help

Steam Key F.A.Q.

If you purchased from our website

If you have not received your email please contact orders@fastspring.com and ask them to resend the order fulfillment email. When doing so provide your order-id which will begin GRE.

If you purchased from the Windows Store for Windows 8

If you are using the Windows Store edition then you will need to claim the key from within the game. We have updated the game to have a ‘Get Steam key’ button in the menu so you have to make sure that the game is up to date before you try claiming your key. To show the menu in the Windows Store edition, you have to either right-click or, if you use touch, then swipe from the bottom of the screen to bring up the menu. If your game is up to date but you cannot see the button please reinstall the app via the user control area of the Windows Store.

What can I do with the key?

The Steam key can be used to activate a copy of the full game on Steam for your own personal use. It is prohibited to sell, trade or give away the key to others. This key is only for your own personal use. Please respect this. We need the income of the game to fund future projects.

How do I activate my key?

Please follow the instructions here:

What if I didn’t get the email?

1. Check your SPAM folder and search for an email from support@greenheartgames.com

2. Check that you are searching in the correct inbox. We will send the key to the email address you have used when ordering the game (if you have contacted fastspring before, to update your email, then we will send it to the updated email address).

3. If you still cannot locate the key please contact support@greenheartgames.com or orders@fastspring.com with your order-id which will begin GRE.

I’m using the Windows Store edition, why can’t you simply send me an email?

Microsoft does not pass any customer information to developers. We simply do not know who you are and that’s why we cannot send you an email. You will have to use the process from within the game to claim your key. Please do not contact us with a purchase invoice from the Store, we can only give out keys via the game client. There are no exceptions.

General F.A.Q.

For past changes please see the changelog

http://www.greenheartgames.com/game-dev-tycoon-changelog/

Why is the game not free?

Usually, free games make their money by selling you virtual coins or items and often those things are required to really enjoy a game. We don’t like this approach for this type of game. Game Dev Tycoon has a free trial so you can try it before you buy. Once you buy it you can enjoy the full game without being bothered by in-app purchases or ads.
By purchasing the game you will also support us and ensure that we can bring you more games in the future.

Will you translate the game into my language?

We have started a number of translations already and many of the complete ones are available as a beta or have been released.
You can fin out more on our forums; http://forum.greenheartgames.com/
and our community translation site;
http://translate.greenheartgames.com/projects/game-dev-tycoon/master/

Do I need to be online while playing the game?

No, we decided to publish the standard edition without any DRM in place. This does not mean that you can simply use the game however you like. You still need to buy the game in order to play it. We are independent developers and rely on your support. Your purchase counts (more than you might think)!

Are there any updates or DLC planned?

Apart from translations into other languages there are no DLC or other updates planned.

Will you port the game to my phone or console?

We currently do not have plans to port the game to more platforms. It will be a while before we will be able to consider other platforms for the game.

Gameplay F.A.Q.

Where is the research menu in the second office?

Once you are in the second office you have two menus. One, when you click on the background and another one when you click on a specific character. To research something you have to click on a character.

I always go bankrupt in the second office. Help!

For some tips on how to survive the second office see here (spoilers!).

Can I play longer than 35 years?

Yes, once the normal game time is up, your score is calculated and there will be no more platform releases but you can still continue to play and unlock things.
If you prefer a longer/shorter game then you can also customize the game length. To do this click on the little cog icon on the screen where you enter your company name. This setting cannot be changed for existing save-games.

Modding F.A.Q.

Where can i find more information about mods?

On our official forums here;

Steam Workshop F.A.Q.

Mods are also available to Steam users via the Steam Workshop.

How to access the Steam Workshop

• Sign into the Steam account which you purchased Game Dev Tycoon on.
  • Click on ‘Game Dev Tycoon’ in your Steam library.
  • Click on the ‘Community Hub’ under the links section on the right hand side in your Steam library.
  • Click on the ‘Workshop’ tab.

How to Install Workshop Mods

• Subscribe to the mod by hovering over the thumbnail image and clicking the ‘+’ symbol.
  • Open Game Dev Tycoon
  • Open the Main Menu, either press ESC or click the icon in the bottom left.
  • Click the ‘Mods’ button.
  • All the mods are listed in this panel. Click on the ones you want to activate (They will turn blue.)
    Restart the game.

Key to Mod Colours
Red - Missing Dependency (Most likely the UltimateLib)
Blue - Mod is enabled

Troubleshooting F.A.Q.

Please note that when following any of the below advice, you do so at your own risk.

How do I update my game?

For information how to update the game please refer to this page;

http://www.greenheartgames.com/game-dev-tycoon-product-updates/

Game is not starting on Linux?

Create a link for libudev.so.0 with the following commands.
for 32bit:
ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Game\ Dev\ Tycoon/steamIntegration/32/libudev.so.0

for 64bit:
ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Game\ Dev\ Tycoon/steamIntegration/64/libudev.so.0

I only see a white or black screen, what can I do?

In our experience the most likely cause of this is that some Anti-Virus and/or Firewall software is interfering with the application. Please add an exception to your Anti Virus. If you do not know how to do this then let me know which AV you are using and I will find you a guide.
Simply turning the AV off does not stop all aspects of it from running so an exception must be added.
Please be aware that after adding the exception you need to validate the game files to restore any that the AV deleted.

Here is a Video guide on How to Verify the Steam Cache ;

If you’re not using Steam then please re install after you have added the exception.

• Also you can Run the game with Windows Vista compatibility. To change the compatibility mode correctly please use the exe in the steam folder. Right click ‘Game Dev Tycoon.exe’ -> Properties -> Compatibility.

• Please run Game Dev Tycoon from an internal Hard drive not a flash
    drive

• Make sure that your C Drive is not full.

• If you are experiencing a white screen on the Steam edition of the game please try running the game from the .exe inside the Steam folder rather than from the Steam client or desktop shortcut.

If you still experience this problem, please contact support@greenheartgames.com with your detailed PC specifications.

I see a Node Web Kit Message

Please make sure that your C drive is not full and also please make sure that you are running Game Dev Tycoon from an Internal drive, not a flash drive.

More help

If you need more help try searching or asking on our forum http://forum.greenheartgames.com/ or send us an email to support@greenheartgames.com.

5 Likes