[WIP] CompetitorMod by kristof1104 & DzjengisKhan

I found out that when you put your game on Windows mode the Gui covers the Bugs gui

Kristof said that Sabotage, and Invest isnt done yet.

Awesome!!!
Thank you very much.

As for some ideas,

I am sick of going bankrupt because I created a great game and no way to score 120% better on my next game. When I upgrade everything and there is no room for improvement, there is just waiting for bankrupt.

I suggest tweaking the expected game score lower every time you or your competitor release a low score game so the the next game will not need such high score and you can survive. In real life if a great strategy game is release, then fans expect the sequel to the game be better. However if 1 or more strategy game is release on sub par standards, the fans expectation should be lower, hence the expected game score should be lower.

For example, you release a 100 design and 100 tech game and get perfect 10 score, then the next game should have 120 design and 120 tech to get the perfect score. But if a sub par game is release by competitor, fans expectation lowered and a 108 design and 108 tech game will be acceptable to get perfect 10 score. Another sub par game and the expected game score will be 97.2 design and 97.2 tech etc.

Also degrade the expected game score with time. If a year has pass and no strategy game is released, then the expected game score will decrease like 10% or something. In real life, if a type of game is not released for a long time, fans of the gene are willing to accept a lower standard and give more hype / pay more when one comes around. See star citizen, more and 35 million crowd-funding now.

Then there is also the idea of great sales even though the game review score is flat rock bottom 1, 1, 1, 1. Imagine in real life, no game is ever release on the PC for one whole year!!! People will be desperate and buy any games even with the abysmal reviews. Then there will be the option to bribe reviewer to jack up the review or do the opposite to the competitor review. Then there can be an option to sacrifice some fans to jack up / down, the game. Get some die hard fans to troll the other forums or give their own modified review. Some fans don’t like the sabotage and stop being your fan.

I think all this can be done by adding some modifier to the expected game score. The following is taken from the success guide in the wiki

Target_Score = Top_Score + Top_Score_Modifier,
  where Top_Score_Modifier is:

if (not in garage) and (Top_Score - 2nd_Top_Score) > (0.2 * Top_Score) 
     then 0.2 * Top_Score
     else whichever is greater:
        Top_Score - 2nd_Top_Score
      or 
        0.12 * Top_Score

Meaning, Target_Score can range from 112.5% to 120% of your Top_Score, depending on how your Top Score compares to your 2nd Top Score. 

By adding some modifier to reduce / increase the target score (temporary by bribe / sabotage) and top score (permanent by latest game that are better / suck) it may be easy for you to code. I did not see the code myself so what I am suggesting is base on my guess.

2 Likes

Im not sure if this has been suggested before, but maybe its a nice feature to be able to steal skilled staff members from competitors ?

Omgs, how do you create such cooooooool mods .-.
I tried your cheat mod which was awesome, tbh, this one is way coooler, competition is really really good.
Hope you will complete it soon :smile: Will try this incomplete mod, Thanks for making it :smiley:

Hey there :smile: , about to try your awesome mod right now. But just a few questions, can we (me & competitor) collaborate and create a game together? Will they also create their own game consoles? or somehow, we (me & competitor) make a console together in your future updates?

1 Like

Oh. I was hoping it was just that.

@dromu - a sabatoge option, maybe?

@kristof1104 how will naming games work? Will there be set names for certain genres or topics or what?

That’s already in it. :stuck_out_tongue:

no i mean like, that you can look at their staff members and attempt to get one of their staff members to join your company

I know sabatoge is in the game, I mean one of the ways you can preform sabatoge.

I ment Sabotage is already in the Mod. :wink:

Very good idea.
I support this.

There is a definite need for a better score mechanics as the competitor easily go in to the red by achieving really low score.

For the competitor to survive, every time a game of a certain gene is release with low score, the expected score should be lowered by like 20% or something so the next time the competitor hit with a good score, they generate enough dough to survive.

The expected score can also degrade with time so competitor can hit with different gene and generate more money.

The player may not abuse the lower expected score too much because with time the competitor expected score improve, so even with when the competitor miss with really low score, the score is high enough that even the player with all great combination cannot hit the target with untrained staff and mediocre engine. The player really need to specialize to survive so no competitor can beat them in a certain gene which is what real life game publisher does. In fact the player need to use the lower expected score system to survive by releasing new / rare game where the market is not saturated.

That is what real life indie does, being creative as they cannot compete with big publisher in technology and manpower. While big publisher keep churning our First person shooter with better graphic, engine, manpower to create multiple resolution / platform that indie have no hope of competing, indie have to be creative to survive, doing topic / gene that are rare to come by and being creative.

The player can be creative / gamble by finish a game but not click the finish button till the competitor release a mediocre game or enough time have pass that the game will be well received.

As you progress down the road, the competitor will go millions in red but never bankrupt is a mystery.

The player can survive by taking small contract to get research points to upgrade the engine and helper so when the next game is release, it is going to be a hit to generate enough sales. It seems no point having the competitor. Buying the competitor over will be an extra burden to you.

I hope that the competitor game will decrease the score and dictating what the competitor should produce and fire / keep unwanted staff to manage the cost. Buying the competitor over and purposely create a bad game to reduce the expected target score, then my company will release a game with the same gene to get better success. That way it make viable to buy over competitor that will always be in the red.

EDIT:
As a bonus by bankrupt / buy over all competitor, you can opt to not release any game for a year to teach the pirate games supporter a lesson while secretly developing a game. When the crowd is desperate for any quality games, release a crowd funding campaign that you will only have enough money to create a quality game if the crowd give enough money and release the game for profit once your target is met.

Of course the fun ends / starts when the pirates decide that they cannot make a living by pirating games and decide to do honest work by creating games themselves. A new competitor like “Past Champion of Free Games” will emerge and the fun start / end again.

Thx for the test & feedback!

As far as the company’s don’t go bankrupt / No sabotage / … (getting tired of saying this: This is an alpha, the only reason it’s released is so the money of the competitors can get tested, Nothing else matters at this point).

I created a new version:

-I made the AI smarter, if they have released a bad topic/genre combo They won’t ever make that mistake again :).
-Added fans for competitors.
-small changes.

YOU NEED TO START A NEW GAME

I need people to give me feedback again. So people please check the alpha the faster I get this system out the way… The faster I can work on other aspects of the mod.

@Gnostic
Thx for the test pretty much the best test I have seen, could you please check out the new version.?

Thanks Guys.

4 Likes

@kristof1104 Download the mod its great, Just few suggestions

1. When we try to buy our competitors, Some time competitors should refuse like when they release great games or when they still have lots of money.

2)Once we buy our competitors, We should have a ability to sell them, Rename them, dissolve them or our competitors trying to go independent etc.

3)I feel like our competitors is cheap, It should cost us more money. And the revenue they generate is not lot, At least we should get Half of the money or 1/4 of money they make.

1. I think the UI is too big, it should only show names but when we put mouse over the name it should reveal all other details.

2. Also Media should report who bought who for how much and such information

3. Some competitor trying to buy your company, ( Once they buys us it will auto start from the beginning but with the money that competitor bought us for)

But I think you did great job on this mod as always

Kristof said that the revenue is 2,5 % of company`s earnings. So one time Ive got revenue 2. Not 2k, 2.

That’s cheap. :stuck_out_tongue: