What essential topics are missing from GDT?

Just got an email from someone saying that they miss a Farming topic in GDT and they are right, it doesn’t exist.

What other topics are clearly missing from GDT?

Afterlife, Alternate Universe, Interstellar Travel (could come under space though), Sandbox (might be wrong), Cooking, War (might be wrong), Puzzle, Treasure (like Uncharted and Tomb Raider).

War = Military,
Sandbox/puzzle is probably more of a genre/feature

The others are good catches though.

1 Like

Thanks. I would have more but I’m on my phone at the moment so I can’t check.

Missing Topics: Farming.
Missing Genre’s: RTS(Real-Time-Strategy, like Lol, Smite and Dota 2. Example: Fantasy/RTS), TBS (Turn-Based-Strategy, like XCOM. Example: Alien/TBS).

That’s all I can think about for the moment :wink:

Are God Games a genre or a topic?

Spore is an Evolution/God-Game. Watch Dogs is an Hacking/kind-of-God-Game. I think God-Game is a genre :wink:

Uh, no. By “God-Game”, I mean a game where you can control basically everything.

SimCity is a government/city/God-Game. So I think God-Game is a genre :wink:

the traditional God-Game like populous or the upcoming Universim is probably a topic, I’d say.

I’d say Spore is a Evolution/RPG-Simulation.

2 Likes

Survival would be neat

I’ve been pondering this since you mentioned it.

Spore isn’t exactly a simulation, because at every stage, you use your own points to change your creature/race to your specifications. Things tend to play out based on your settings more so than RNG. It’s kind of a watered-down multi-genre game that tried to mingle about three or four genres into one, and … while it sorta worked, it tried to do too much and every aspect, save for the end galaxy game, is pretty shallow.

Spore is an example of multi-genre gone bad.

Oh a god-game? Like ‘Black and White’?

Hmm that is very much a possibility for a new topic that makes sense. But the one question I have is, are ‘god-like’ games a genre, or a subject within a genre?

The multi-genre is a mess, but the game is beautiful and the gameplay is outstanding. But Electronic Arts bought Maxis and Electronic Arts messed up Spore.

What messed up spore was the marketing and the ambition.

It was once marketed as an educational device, to set environmental parameters, conditions, and starting situations for an organism, and how we were pitched it, you could perhaps watch it over millions of years to see what it might become.

Spore, on release, was basically a god-like game, controlling an organism, altering it at determined times, and making a race that eventually conquers a planet and then other planets.

If it stayed as a true simulation, it would probably have been an amazing piece of software that could continually improve as science learns more about biology. Put those into the game, see how the more we know, affects a simulated evolution.

Alas that’s not the direction Spore took. Also at many stages, Spore is very shallow. The free-roaming, RTS and Strategy stages are bare-bones - let’s dance or kill… rinse-repeat.

turn-based strategy games are what I consider the ‘strategy’ genre in this game.

I imagine any game you make in this genre is using a hex tile system, with units. Anything from x-com (originals) to civilization games, Master of Magic, and even space strategy games like Master of Orion.

So I don’t think a new genre is needed for ‘turn-based’ as opposed to ‘other’ strategy. the RTS for sure along with the aforementioned Rogue-like.

I imagine how funny it would be to unlock the combos:
Report for “Hospital Wars”
“Hospital and RTS is a terrible combination” xD

I saw ‘Police’ as a possible subject. The only game I know of that uses that title is the old adventure series “Police Quest”.
Based on that one real-world example, do we need ‘police’?

Is there ANY other game that uses … well… okay, technically swat games are ‘police’ and kane and lynce could also be considered a police-type game.

So could gang-type games like “The Warriors”. So I suppose ‘police’ encompasses gang games too. This was just on my mind.

sandbox.

God games aren’t sandbox.