What genres are missing from GDT?

In parallel to the discussion of What essential topics are missing from GDT?

What genres are missing in GDT?

I think Puzzle could be a genre, and MOBA’s are missing completely, though one can argue that MOBAS are more like a different type of game, similar to how we handle MMO’s.

Are there any other genres you missed while playing?

1 Like

Arcade and Platformer.

2 Likes

Is Bullet Hell a genre?

I’m missing Arcade. I want it to be replaced by casual as time progresses and arcade machines get less popular.

1 Like

Arcade can generally cover that…

Is Visual Novel a genre?

Problem is that if you take Visual Novel as a genre, then it’s easy to argue that JRPG’s or even Hidden Object Games should be a genre too.

The question of what is a genre is something we really struggled with when developing GDT. In the end we opted for a super-simplified abstraction of the basic genres instead of going for a research tree. We did this mostly because our core way to know whether a game is good, is to look at the topic/genre and then look at the focus the player puts in the nine different development areas. By keeping the genre list small, it was easier to balance the game and we didn’t feel like forcing the player to specialize inside a genre added that much value.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble. I would like to explore a more sophisticated system in the sequel.

If it were a research tree, where would Visual Novel fall under?

3 Likes

nekos :joy_cat:

That’s actually offensive to VNs everywhere…

Yes the ‘visual novel’ is a category that is hard to place.
I love puzzle, we should have that. Anodyne is a top-down puzzle platformer.

speaking of, I realize platformer is a sub-genera because you can have those in 2 and 3-d, and have platformers be many different types.

Rogue-like is missing. WE NEED THIS!

also on a tangential note, why is ‘space’ + ‘casual’ a ‘bad combo’? FTL anyone??? seriously??? ^_^;

FTL is a casual game? I’m constantly at edge while playing that game.

Well, it’s Rogue-like + Casual + Space :slight_smile:

Tower defense games are probably their own genera too… from that you can pick a topic in it, like fantasy or sci-fi.

So I think that should be a genre we need. I think this game also classifies fantasy + casual as a bad combo but… ‘kingdom rush’ anyone? ^_^;

I honestly meant Visual Novel as a joke at first but I can see where you’re coming from with that, there’s definitely a fine line between genres and categories.

In a research tree though it probably would fall under RPGs

Visual Novel should fall under RPGs

1 Like

Are they not closer to Adventures?

Yes, I’m more inclined to classify visual novel games, as a form of point and click adventure titles, just without the open world ability to walk around freely, and with branching story and a lack of inventory. We may not need this as a topic/genre.

But I still stand firm on Rogue-likes and tower-defense in their own genres respectively. The one argument you could cater against it, is that these two are sort of a form of ‘casual’ games.

Maybe in GDT 2, a ‘sub-genre’ could be introduced. So in addition to having two genre meshes, like action and adventure, you have three choices:
Single Genre, Dual Genre, and Genre + sub-genre. All may play the same, this could be more aesthetic than anything but who knows, maybe the +++ to - - - can be affected with a sub-genre classification.

But then wouldn’t every game be closer to adventures?
When you think about it, RPGs are like adventures :wink:

The way I see the genre in GDT, is the ‘adventure’ category is for point and click.

Some can argue games like “Conker’s Bad Fur Day” and “Bajo Kazooie” are adventure titles but not in the more strict definition. They are 3-d platform ‘action-adventure’ hybrids, which is why we can make multi-genre titles ~.^

Yes, I guess a lot of genres are covered by the multi-genre system but I agree that stuff like roguelike is missing.

fan-squeee! :slight_smile:

awwww you agree?! Dawwwww :3 sorry, furrie side comming out