I see that a lot of players have trouble getting started in level2. Here are some tips (if you like a challenge then maybe don’t read them):
- Medium games work best if you have a team of 3, so your aim should be to get to 2 additional workers. any more is overkill for medium games. Staff members are expensive in GDT.
- When you hire someone the effectiveness of your entire team drops for a while. Be aware of this effect!
- Be very careful what publishing contracts you take. Publishers often suggest rubbish combinations or a platform/audience mix that isn’t too good.
- If you have trouble thinking of what audience is better for what platforms just think of the best-selling games of the real-world equivalent console and what audience these games target.
- Fans are important and to get more fans you should try to take publishing deals.
- Don’t make engines all the time. We made them expensive on purpose.
Hope this helps some players.
(originally posted in Game Balance Mega-Thread)