Save Game Editor

EDIT BY @EvoGamer (27th Aug):

Please Note: @HeWhoWas has not visited these forums since June, so this editor is not supported. Any editing of game saves is unsupported by Greenheart Games, so if you break your game in this manner, you are on your own.

Beyond that, feel free to use this editor at your own risk.

Hey Guys,

I got sick of editing the JSON by hand and wrote a quick save game editor in Java. It’s pretty self explanatory, but here are some notes:

• “Load Default Database” will load the current users save games.
  • If a text field is red, it hasn’t been written yet. Move off of a field to trigger a write.
  • Don’t forget to use “Save Database” once you’re done editing all of the values you want - otherwise all your changes will be lost.
  • Backup your original database before using in case this breaks something horribly. I’m not parsing 100% of the stuff that comes in (Mainly in the game log structures) so certain contributions might be lost. I haven’t noticed any issues.
  • If you increase your money dramatically at the start of the game you will go into a loop where it continually asks you to move to another office. You will have to accept to continue - this never goes away. I’m looking into this issue.

Download here: http://d-h.st/j3a
Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?uc3x4izssqo1u0s

Usual disclaimer - I do not give any guarantees as to the performance of this application. I am not responsible if it deletes all your save games, or causes your computer to catch on fire, or anything at all. You use this at your own risk.

Please report bugs by sending an email to smashed.187@gmail.com with “GDTEdit” in the title with your logfile and savegame attached if possible.

Please note that if you do not provide the log file, I will be unable to assist you with your problem.

8 Likes

Lol, wondered how long this would take.

i wonder how long it will take till someone posts his work on torrent sites

this editor is free, and free shit get posted anywhere…

hey, how to run ?

1 - close a game .
2 - run a editor
3 - editing
4 - save db and run game ?

wrong anything ?

edit : share you “editor” profile please. should be the maximum number of ?

1 Like

You can’t have the game running at the same time as you’re editing, and yes your steps are correct.

I don’t understand which profiles you are referring to? The only profiles the editor should interact with is the game database on your computer.

1 Like

The problem with the editor is that even if you follow the steps, the whole thing won’t open the save for some reason… It can when you start a new game, and save, but if you moved on in the game, and try to edit your save again, it will not load. I only got it working once by just loading the currect file in, and it no longer works after doing it when i want to adjust.

I’m willing and able to help you with the OSX compatibility. I can open the file__0.localstorage file directly with any sqlite database editor. When I change the cash value (the only thing I’m interested in changing) the change is not reflected in the game. It shows the same cash in the top right corner. If I go to load game, the save listed shows the new cash amount I entered, but even after I choose to load that one, the game returns to the value it was before.

The file is located at
/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Game Dev Tycoon/Local Storage/file__0.localstorage

In the database I see two rows where the cash is listed, I’m changing them both to match but it’s not working. Any suggestions?

Hey! This is normally caused by a json parsing issue where I’ve used the incorrect datatype. If you could raise an issue on the bug tracking link here and attach your logfiles, I’ll be able to fix the problem for you.

Thanks.

Thanks for the path info, I’ve incorporated it into the next release. You should still be able to use this if you choose “Open Database” and find the localstorage file manually.

I got it working. You have to change the values in both the game save and the “game progress” row. Works great now!

Hello All,

A few people have told me that this isn’t saving their particular save file. This is caused by errors I’ve made modeling the JSON the game uses to store user profile data. If anyone that has an issue can send me their logfile (gdtedit.log) or their save file JSON, I will correct the issue and send you a fixed version. PM me here or raise an issue in the bugtracker (preferred, but not mandatory Hadrian :smile:)

This will also contribute to preventing the issue for other people. Thanks everyone!

Regards,

HeWhoWas.

Updated OP with new version download link. Changes:

• Fixed some JSON modelling errors reported.
  • Supports databases containing less than 3 saves.
  • Supports OSX loading database from “Open Default Database” - Untested. Please report.
  • Fixed SQL errors on save.

awesome, but is there any chance you can change the manual open file to show hidden folders? as the open defualt database doesnt seem to work

I’ve read most of the comments just to make sure I didn’t miss any steps as to how to get this to work. So far the program opens, but does not show any saves at all. I’ve even moved the program to the save location and still nothing.

Chances are you have a JSON parsing issue (I made way too many large assumptions when I modeled the data) which causes it to throw an error. If you can pm me the gdtedit.log file I can resolve the problem and upload a new version.

In a coming release I am hopefully going to have a built in error reporting system so people are more inclined to send me data.

So, I’m using the editor on my Mac. I can edit a save, and load it up, but once I save it again and load up the game after exiting it, the game doesn’t load. I’m not sure if it’s the save itself or the game reacting to it. Is there any file I should send you so you can look at it?

You know what’s strange? ever since I’ve started using this editor, I’ve somehow unable to do the staff recuiting training, like you somehow removed the ability to do so and i cannot move on. What’s going on?

hmmm, i was just figuring that i wasnt far enough alone in research to train myself staff managment, but is it something in the program disabling that specific training session?

Guys, telling me the problem without any more information such as the logfile isn’t going to get it resolved in a big hurry. Pm me your logfile with a brief description and I’ll fix the problem.

Logoster - It’s definitely possible. Could you provide me with before/after save files or databases?

Thanks,

HeWhoWas