Reproducing Bug: Game Crashes after roughly 2 Minutes

Hi all,

As a few people may know I occasionally stop by to play Game Dev Tycoon and it has worked beautifully in the past. However this time it seems to load up fine, run for about 1-2 minutes and then crashes.

I posted on the Steam Discussions for GDT and it seems a couple of others are having the same issue too: http://steamcommunity.com/app/239820/discussions/0/350541595111382465/

My PC Specs are as follows:
PSU - EVGA NEX 750W
CPU - AMD FX6300 5.0 Black Edition
GPU - Sapphire Dual - X R9 270x
HDD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda (x2), 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500 GB Hitachi Deckstar
RAM - 8GB Ballistic
MOBO - Gigabyte 970A - UD3P

One guy said the follow:

So it seems like itā€™s a recent bug. Perhaps a recent game or OS update has caused this? I havenā€™t noticed a game update recently, however I think Windows 10 had updated the night before. Would anyone be able to investigate this issue?

Thanks and have a great day!

• TheGangstarTY

@TheGangstarTY This is what the most Basic things i can provide you :sweat:

But if these Donā€™t work for you, try Contacting @PatrickKlug
If you actually donā€™t know how, here are steps.

Still Credits goes to @Lukas_Schuurman to steam. me, @anon20832479 to standalone.
P.S. Click on Buying and using game if needed the Images.

My game works fine. Maybe it has something to do with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

Same. :smiley:

P.S. I purposely put the second image. LOL :smile:
Besides, Im Memory of GDTMP :cry:

Like I said, probably the OS update.

Iā€™m hoping that Greenheart are able to fix this, or the next OS update fixes it.

Mhm, its 2016, not 2015 or 2014. If you were to made the thread way way earlier than yes, they would fix it. But since they are making Game #2 Its not possible :unamused:
Besides, if you were using Windows 10, they werenā€™t expecting a new OS to appear Right after GDT Release, Patches,etc @TheGangstarTY

Perhaps you didnā€™t read what I put earlier? This has only just started happening. this wasnā€™t like this before. Itā€™s been fine on Windows 10 previously but only just started.

If so, Just try our solutions. If that doesnā€™t work, try to start a new Game. There, Case Ended @TheGangstarTY

Not exactly, because the issue still doesnā€™t get fixed. Your forgetting that this isnā€™t a save game issue, a few of us are getting it.

Iā€™m trying to find a work around or see what the issue is but I canā€™t seem to find one so far.

Oh, just to add, two more people have reported the same issue:

[quote=Knightyy;350541595115809900]I went into my task manager and closed the process ā€˜nw.exeā€™ that stopped the game from running but im not sure if its a permanent fix.
Update:
This only fixes the problem of it being unable to close, so i guess weā€™ll just have to wait for it to be fixed ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ [/quote]

Listen, if your having a problem with the game, JUST CONTACT @PatrickKlug
Otherwise im getting annoyed with your smart ish thing.
now without further than do. I suggest @PatrickKlug to close this thread.

Calm down. Iā€™d prefer to post it here so that others are aware too. Thereā€™s a reason as to why thereā€™s a ā€œbugsā€ section. Please, just donā€™t reply if you have nothing useful to say. Iā€™d rather it doesnā€™t get clogged up with spam.

Another one just came in:

Same here, Iā€™ve tried everything. [/quote]

Hello. Iā€™m Gamergrill that was quoted above. Iā€™m running on Windows 7, so the windows 10 theory doesnā€™t work in my case. As I said above, I have been playing the game fine for a while, and this crashing after about a minute only just started out of the blue. Any information or replicated this bug would be appreciated, as I really do want to continue playing.

Sorry about that but we havenā€™t been able to track this down yet.

Is there anything unusual that you installed recently?
Can you check the Windows Event Viewer and see if there is any useful error messages?

Can you tell me how to use Windows Event Viewer to find that info? Iā€™ve never used it before.

Try searching ā€œView Event Logā€ in Windows. Thatā€™s what itā€™s called in Windows 10. Windows 7 also has it, just tested on my server too.

In reply to @PatrickKlug , Iā€™m not sure if itā€™d be anything that has installed recently, unless itā€™s something to do with Steam (that is the only thing somewhat related that could cause this as it recently updated for me). Weā€™re getting it across different OS so Iā€™m unsure what the source of the problem could be exactly.

EDIT: Added a video to show you exactly whatā€™s going on at my end. I hope this helps. I go through several attempts to get it working.

EDIT #2: [Relating to Video above] Decided to do a quick report on the time span between loading Game Dev Tycoon and having it crash. Theyā€™re in order, and I found the time patterns particularly interesting:

2:38 - 4:30 (112 Seconds)
5:19 - 7:14 (115 Seconds)
7:40 - 9:35 (115 Seconds)
AFTER DELETING MODS
11:31 - 12:25 (54 Seconds)

Itā€™s strange how the first 3 were roughly the same, and even more peculiar the fact that it took less time to crash after deleting my mods.

Just a note, Steam disconnecting was nothing I did, Iā€™m sure it was just another Steam attack or unexpected network error on their end. Convenient though, considering I didnā€™t want the mods to attempt to re-download. I hope all this helps, Iā€™ve tried to make some time on this. Normally Iā€™d edit the video but I need to get on with GCSE work, sorry about that.

Nice Vid.

Thanks lots for that video!

I just canā€™t think of anything that would close the game completely. If itā€™s a problem with the game code, it should show an error message.

Iā€™d suggest the following:

1. Go to Properties/Local Files/Browse Local Filesā€¦
  2. Try to start nw.exe directly from that folder and see if it makes a difference
  3. If this doesnā€™t help, edit the file package.json in the same directory and turn the toolbar value to true
  4. Start the game then open the developer tools (top-right corner hamburger menu)
  5. Click on the error icons on the lower right in that window and observe what happens when the game crashes.

I decided Iā€™d give this a go just before I went offline. I feel like Iā€™ve got somewhere with this.

I first used your Dev Tools like you said but it crashed everything and I saw no error. However i did gather a report before hand, twice was the same stuff:

Invalid CSS media query: screen and (-ms-view-state: fullscreen-landscape) default.css:4
Invalid CSS media query: screen and (-ms-view-state: filled) default.css:7
Invalid CSS media query: screen and (-ms-view-state: snapped) default.css:10
Invalid CSS media query: screen and (-ms-view-state: fullscreen-portrait) default.css:13
Invalid CSS property value: solid 20px rgb(255, 165, 0)) default.css:135
Invalid CSS property name: animation-name layout.css:1852
Invalid CSS property name: animation-duration layout.css:1853
Invalid CSS property name: animation-iteration-count layout.css:1854
Invalid CSS property name: animation-timing-function layout.css:1855
Invalid CSS property name: perspective layout.css:2332
Invalid CSS property name: transform-origin layout.css:2333
Invalid CSS property name: -webkit-transform-perspective layout.css:2336
Invalid CSS property name: transform-origin layout.css:3269
Invalid CSS property value: -webkit-radial-gradient(at top, #2B2B2B, black) achievements.css:7
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) https://api.raygun.io/events?apikey=KgpeGvftejFTg8aGyoX6mw%3D%3D
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) https://api.raygun.io/events?apikey=KgpeGvftejFTg8aGyoX6mw%3D%3D
Warning: Could not remove the folder E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Dev Tycoon\temp/2384420_competitormod, because it is currently locked by GDT. Donā€™t worry, this folder will be deleted on the next start. You can ignore this warning. codeNw.js:1747
Warning: Could not remove the folder E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Dev Tycoon\temp/2384420_competitormod, because it is currently locked by GDT. Donā€™t worry, this folder will be deleted on the next start. You can ignore this warning. codeNw.js:1747

I have put the errors in bold, and left the warnings and logs.
I also decided to use Visual Studio 2015 to debug, and it seemed to come out with a stack overflow error upon crashing as seen below:

Iā€™m not sure what the other errors are, but a stack overflow error doesnā€™t seem fun.
Found out (sort of) what the other errors are. Go to the game directory, go to the ā€œlibsā€ folder and open ā€œraygun.jsā€. Youā€™ll want to find line 2013, that was what it (the dev tools) highlighted. I donā€™t know JavaScript, so I canā€™t exactly help any further with this error.

Iā€™ll continue to search further tomorrow, I just tried to see if I could find the problem first. I hope Iā€™ve been able to point you guys in the right direction :wink:

Oh and loading up nw.exe doesnā€™t work, Iā€™ve even tried running as admin, changing compatibility etc.
I have a few ideas as what it could be though so Iā€™ll investigate those also.

2 Likes

The raygun errors should normally be safe to ignore but since a stackoverflow is one of the few things that could genuinely crash the application, itā€™s worth investigating further.

Can you try to simply delete the raygun.js file and see if this resolves the issue?

Yeah, I get those, and I am pretty sure every else does as well. Shouldnā€™t be an issue @TheGangstarTY