[QUE]Using others code?

What do you think about this? Personally me I see nothing wrong with it you are still contributing to the community.

For example look what happened here: [REL] Game Dev Tycoon: Platforms, Events, and Topics, OH MY

Devs I think you need to make this more clear by saying that you can or can not use code from other mods.

@PatrickKlug & @DanielKlug What are your opinions on this Patrick and Daniel?

I think that is a good idea. It’s not clear at all, because it isn’t mentioned anywhere on the wiki for the mod API.

It’s not mentioned because it speaks for itself, you try to make your own thing and not steal it from others.
Especially without their permission.
You should’ve at least given him credit @Venomous instead of shamelessly ripping off his code.

(bonus mention of @DzjengisKhan so he’ll read this post)

1 Like

If people don’t specify a license which allows you to use their code, it’s best to assume that you’re not allowed to use it.

2 Likes

I do agree with you on the giving credit thing maybe that should be required.

in reply to @Macha:

You’re right, I think it’s even illegal to do so [when there’s no license]
Read more here:

generally speaking, the absence of a license means that default copyright laws apply. This means that you retain all rights to your source code and that nobody else may reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works from your work.

@William yes, i know what the mod agreement says… -.- , that’s not my point.

Personally, I don’t mind if people take some code from my mod, as long as they ask it before they do it + they have to credit me for the code. @Venomous can talk about that.

1 Like

Yeah I was going to add that in to the original post on how it is not in there sorry. :smile:

when you credit them, which parts of the code are you supposed to credit them on, the entire code project or the small code sample that belonged to them?

Depends on their license. It’s best to ask the person involved if they don’t have it explicitly spelled out.

what if, that person has a separate license attached to the project, when they made the github repository for the mod.

Depends on the license again, some licenses like the BSD license only allow you to redistribute with the same license.
Some licenses REQUIRE you to give credit or else you’re not allowed to use the code.

The part you took, of course.
However, it’s wise (perhaps for next time) to contact people first before taking their code.

I think you should Always ask for permission, we put a lot of effort and time into this. Not nice to just take it without asking.
Besides sometimes stealing code can cause mod compatibility problems.

By using Expansion Pack and venomous’s mod you’ll get the sales changes twice!
So not an option in my book :slight_smile:

You should think of it this way, by stealing code you are actually pissing of the people who wrote it. In the extend that they become demoralized and don’t even wanna mod anymore!

I recommend people to add a license to their project such as the CC Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license which allows people to adapt and redistribute the code, but only if it’s under the same license and if they give credit (attribution).
You can also pick another one at http://creativecommons.org/ but I think this one suits me best.

I think this is a stupid question. A code is something people make themselves. You obviously have never made a mod before or participated in one. I know it feels really bad if you have worked very hard on something (like the Prices) and then someone steals your code without asking permission and/or crediting you. Second, this was not the first time Venomous did this. He already did it with some other code too, where he had no permission to also. The developers can’t really say anything about stealing codes because it’s not really their problem. It’s clear enough that stealig other peoples code not acceptable is. You may never be able to take code from other mods and use it in your mod if you have no permission and you’re not crediting that someone. Prices was an exclusive for Expansion Pack Mod at the moment and we would like to see it in other mods if they made it theirselves or had permission from using it. In this case Venomous had no permission whatsoever and was not allowed to use any code from our mod. Think for yourself about this: ‘If I made a mod and someone steals it.’ would you be upset? You probably would. You can’t steal code from Game Dev Tycoon too right? Why would you be able to with mods? I hope I cleared this up for you because the developers don’t have anything to do with this. This is something within the modding community. :wink: @Venomous @William

1 Like

That 's why we never use Venomous’s mod. :stuck_out_tongue: There’s always something he stole…

I think CC isn’t recommended for code as far as I know but if you want something fairly similar then the MIT license is great. Easy to read and understand. More info and choices on:

I would definitely recommend against anything like GPL or L-GPL. They are confusing and a horrible mess.

It’s also noteworthy that the Modding Agreement requires you to give us (Greenheart Games) permission to use, adapt, build upon and distribute the mod (this is irrespective of what license you pick).

And as @Jari said earlier, even if you don’t specify a license you still own the copyright so ppl. can’t just go and copy/use your work as they wish.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Patrick… I feel like some people don’t understand that. :stuck_out_tongue: