[QUE]Using others code?

Creative Commons is not recommended for software, mainly because its incompatible with the (L)GPL, which is an older, similar license for software which is widely used. If you decide you want to use a GPLed jQuery library and your code is under CC-BY-SA, then you can’t, even though the intent is pretty much the same.

If you want a license to allow people to use your code, there are four you should choose from (none of these summaries are legal descriptions, or complete):

GPL - People can modify and redistribute your code, but their entire project must also be under the GPL.
LGPL - People can modify and redistribute your code, but their modifications to your code must be under the LGPL and contributed back to you.

The GPL and LGPL don’t specifically require attribution, but they do require you to redistribute the copyright notice with your code which will say something like Copyright 2013 <Your name>

BSD 3-Clause - People can do what they like, so long as they include your copyright notice, but don’t imply that you endorse their work.
BSD 2-Clause/MIT - People can do what they like, so long as they include your copyright notice (these are both functionally pretty much identical).

As well, do be aware that the modding agreement says that Green Heart Games have a separate license can do pretty much anything with your mod,

1 Like

or the MIT license!

2 Likes

I was mostly looking for a license that required others to attribute you, and out of the top of my head there was a CC license that allowed this.
But excellent examples and you’ve pretty much convinced me to switch now, haha.

We were mostly discussing about other mod creators ripping off eachother’s code, not GHG, but yes, the modding agreement is a required ‘extra’ license everyone should not forget about.

This is a hard lesson all modders (of any kind) learn sooner rather than latter.

Sometimes it is an honest mistake, the moderators will let the modder know that they have done wrong and the issue will be rectified.

Othertimes the stolen assets are hidden and hard to find and the modder tries to get away with it. A much harsher punishment is dealt out for this kind of behaviour.

Not plagiarizing other people’s work is a rule of life that applies from children in classrooms to adulthood.
It doesnt matter if its the internet, an art class, a book, movie or game. And yes, even mods. Theft, digital or real is never acceptable. Always seek permission from the owner or publisher.

Also as a side note, In my experience. The owners will nearly always say yes when given credit for their work in a transparent manner.

2 Likes

I think we will not really anymore with Venomous because this is the second time he does this. cough

And this is one of the reasons that following common etiquette and staying in other modders good graces is important!

sighs can’t modders give a third chance, since it is hard to code unique stuff for their mod anyways and the game code for Game Dev Tycoon is so confusing to look at even after beautifying it.

If you don’t understand the code in any way and can’t come up with original content why are you making a mod then? Not understanding anything of modding or not having any fantasy and giving up so fast will not help you making a successfull mod. They are no excuses for copying and stealing other mods content without permission. If you can’t do it, just don’t do it and stop with your mod.

@LineLiar I am saying it is hard to understand the code to code up new and unique stuff, that is why I am only adding Platforms, Events, Topics, and Researches in my mod.

Let it be like that then and then don’t come up with original stuff you stole from people. :slight_smile:

And @Venomous is that a bad thing?? My mod started excatly the same. And it’s still mostly only topics/events/platforms/researches. But I had the luck to be the first one with the custom researches (and to be the first working mod) out there.

@DzjengisKhan it’s not a bad thing. it might affect downloads since our mods are so similar in coding.

Well that may be, but you add different things (topics/events/platforms) then I do. So you’re mod only enhances the gameplay just like my mod does. They can go perfectly fine together.

yep :smile:

Unless you have some same code as ours…

1 Like

“I think this is a stupid question”

Then why did you answer it.

“A code is something people make themselves. You obviously have never made a mod before or participated in one.” (You have no idea how mad this post made me)

Really so you have a crystal ball that tells you what I have done in my life.

But to be serious I have done programming before just not for this game mainly because I can not stand HTML and JS I much rather program in Ruby and Python.

“If I made a mod and someone steals it.’ would you be upset? You probably would.”

It depends if the person were to improve on my mod I would not really care would you?

“You can’t steal code from Game Dev Tycoon too right?”

Well if I really wanted to I could. (It would not be legal but it is possible)

I answered it because I thought it was a stupid question which could be solved by a 5 year old child. Stupid questions are to be solved right? I have no crystal balls, but depending on that you basically said in your post you don’t care about people stealing your code it would be obvious you never had coded. You did in this case, but probably not something you took very much time for. Stealing code is not fun, especially if you’re the first one who took much time for it. You are probably using API’s which is much easier then coming up with an idea yourself and making it. Even if they improved it, it’s something YOU made, YOU took time to make it. I’m not talking about easy things with using API’s and stuff but things that take ACTUAL time to do. The price modification in this case. You could of course steal code from Game Dev Tycoon, have fun with your fine. :slight_smile:

TLDR; all you had to is ask, and this wouldn’t have been as big of a drama it has now become.

from now on, just credit a random modder for the code you put in, that’s what I am doing now with my mod.

@Venomous

What do you mean? still stealing code and just crediting someone else?