Official Modding F.A.Q

@thegamingchann1
I think that is covered by;

People who already know the above languages will know what to do, and those that dont will need to learn a little of the above languages before they start! :smile:

I don’t seem to have a “mod” folder in my directory, do I need to create it?

I dropped the extracted Expansion Pack in the mods folder, and still doesn’t show up in the in-game menu for mods.

Does using mods disable achievements on Steam? There’s at least one I should have gotten while playing with a mod, but it did not show up.

EDIT: I figured out why. It wasn’t the mod. Answered my own question.

If you extracted the “Master” zip so that you have a folder called “GTD-Expansion-Pack-master”, you actually need to go inside the main folder and pull out the sub-folder called “ExpansionPack.” That’s what goes in mods.

Not very clear in the GitHub instructions but that’s what you need to do. Same for Cheat Mod and possibly others (those are the only 2 I’ve used).

@DesertHawk978 Which edition of the game are you using. Steam, Standard or Windows 8 Store?

@piplup22301 if you check out my “how to install mods” video you will see i mention that you have to use your own judgement on what to install from the zip and where as so far a standardised format has not been used.
If a mod is listed in the released mod list on the official thread Official Mod List
then examine the structure and check if the folder you need has been placed in a subfolder. In which case place the subfolder where the initial folder is.

is there any way to write my mod in another language? i’m not so good with js…

Urgh… Sorry if I do sound annoyed a little bit… Well, that because I am. I’ve been trying for hours not getting to Library so I can get to steam maps and do all of that. But when I finally got to the GDT folder there was no mods folder… So, what do I do? I tried to make a “mods” folder but nothing, so I’m asking you for help.

Please, I just want to play some more of this brilliant game.

@Racso Make sure you are using the beta version of game dev tycoon, check the mod instructions on how to do this, you will have to redownload the game.

@SirEverard - Modding came out of beta a few weeks ago so it is not necessary to enable that.

@Racso - Just to confirm you are using the Steam version? and that you are connected to the internet so Steam has updated the game? I would suggest a reinstall of Game Dev Tycoon. Here is a video walkthrough;

Also which OS are you using? WIndows, Mac or Linux?

Ahh okay, my mistake :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the response. I use the steam version on mac, and yeah, I am connected to the internet, but I haven’t got anything about any updating yet. (I think.) So, I will try to reinstall the game and hopefully, that will work. Or else I have to come bak here.

You may find this mod tutorial for macs handy;
http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/tut-where-to-find-the-mod-folder-mac-users/9054

I’m very confused, on how to make my own mod. I get, that I need to know HTML, CSS, and JS. But, how do I start modding. There’s a modAPI, in the mods folder. I assume, that’s how I start. However, I can’t open it. Do I need to download a program, or can I use a simple program, like Notepad?

1 Like

Hi, I got a error message when I clicked on the mods tab

Hey @Charlie, getting too many mods will make workshop support? Or it’s up to valve (or steam)?

2 Likes

how do you pause the game on Steam

@Gamingthrou - It really depends if modding becomes popular enough to warrant it.
@lenton_craig12 - Press the ‘escape’ key.

thanks charlie

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.