A word about modding

We believe that modding can greatly increase the enjoyment players can get out of a game and therefore we have started working towards allowing mods for Game Dev Tycoon.

Currently mods are not allowed in our EULA and unfortunately we had recently some very bad experiences with some community members who thought that it’s okay to not only take our source code and change it but also to host the changed game publicly online. This is not okay.

We want to support modding but it has to be done the right way. We will have more information on how we aim to support modding as soon as we can.

14 Likes

This topic is now invisible. It will no longer be displayed in any topic lists. The only way to access this topic is via direct link.

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or the Clear Pin button is pressed.

Well i hope you find right way :wink:

You gonna use JS?

I wil hope it

Looks like what happened to team meat from super meat boy(if you have watched indie game the movie).Anyway good luck. :smiley:

i love mods i think they will greatly improve GDT

1 Like

I didn’t see anyone host the game publicly online.

well, don’t expect me to provide a link … (it was taken down)

4 Likes

Can I ask for an expected time for when mods will be permitted?

Yeah, that makes sense :stuck_out_tongue:

@PatrickKlug should we expect the Mod API to be up and running by December 2013.

So if I open up Game Dev Tycoon, play for a while, then research Engine/Mods, I’ll go to prison?

THIS SUCKS.

4 Likes

i wish it was shorter then that… I’ll be glad if it was this month or next… people won’t be playing this when the Ps4 releases on november…

Sounds good but you may want to plan ahead and make something you can take directly to your next game too because mods do help games sell.

Well, maybe you could try to let it support Steam Workshop.

@PatrickKlug @Charlie do you know how long we have to wait until you code up a modding api for Game Dev Tycoon.

1 Like

Its on our list of things to do, I don’t have an ETA though as this is an exceptionally busy time for us.

I would not mind if you postpone ALL updates for mod api to be implemented

3 Likes