21:9 UltraWide Support

Hi,

I recently bought a 21:9 ultrawide LG screen running at 2560*1080. The resolution in the game is the correct one, but the scene is not correctly centered. See screenshot following :

Screenshot at 21:9

Note that the menu is correctly centered though.

Thanks for your awesome game and great work :smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s some darn ultra wide monitor

2 Likes

Yeah, i want it!

2 Likes

If you want, the complete name of the screen is LG 29UM55-P :smile: Pretty cheap for good quality !

Many many games works well natively (or with small issues like Game Dev Tycoon), some can be fixed by editing config files (i.e. Doom 3), and for others, Flawless Widescreen or Widescreen fixer do the trick.

I have a GTX 770 2Gb and it works like a charm, the resolution 25601080 is pretty close to 19201080 so performance is roughly the same.

I recommend this screen, it is very very nice to game with, also, you can have two pages opened side by side without having to scroll horizontally, and movies does not have black bars :smiley:

Watching movies in 2.35:1ā€¦ Iā€™m in love with that monitor.

I didnā€™t even think of that Ɩ

I donā€™t think this a bug. By using that resolution, you actually see the full background. This game was designed for lower resolutions, also, the reason scene isnā€™t ā€œcorrectly centeredā€ is because the position doesnā€™t change depending on the resolution, unlike the menu button and the date tab which were (probably) designed to be in the corners. If it was actually a centering problem, the space left shouldā€™ve been black. What I mean is: The background and menu elements work on that resolution, the scene doesnā€™t, i.e it was not designed to do so. Hope this helps.

P.S I donā€™t see why you would play a game like game dev tycoon in that resolution, lol.

Iā€™m not sure this is not a bug, because when i played on my 16/9 19201080 monitor, the scene was centered, and it was also centered in my laptop 16/9 1600900. Even though there was plenty of space around the scene, it was centered.

You can see it in this capture coming from google images :

GDT at 1080p

There is more space in the left than in my screen.

For the P.S., there is no particular reasons, this is just because i only have this monitor now, and i think it would be prettier if centered :smile:

Edit : As you can see here, some other people do have the same problem :

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239820/discussions/0/620713633854086852/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239820/discussions/0/558747288159102979/

1 Like

I have to say, this is the 2nd most confusing problem Iā€™ve had, but to talk about my problems would be off topicā€¦
I might have figured it out though: This game supports the aspect ratio of 16:9, but not 21:9. The thing is, the aspect ratio is the ratio of the width to the height, but the scene has to be larger in both ways to be centered, so it stays that way because there isnā€™t the necessary height for that. This makes sense, because when you look at both pictures(16:9 and 21:9) there is a lot more width, but no increase in height. So the fix would be for someone to somehow force the scene to increase itā€™s width without increasing itā€™s height. I think this is possible since this game is written in HTML and Javascript, so I think one could use CSS to us it.

The reason it has to be kinda bigger is that since there is more space, you would get the feeling that the scene is smaller. Now tell me Iā€™m wrong, lol.

On the contrary, i think youā€™re right this time :smile:

Usually, games use the Hor+ method for increasing field of view just horizontaly. I think like you that the ratio might be hardcoded in the game, so even if there is space for centering, the game does not see it.

I hope someone from the team would come here and tell us whatā€™s the real reason and if itā€™s easy to correct :smile:

It probably is, because you can use CSS to explicitly define the height and width of the scene(or I think so at least)ā€¦ Anyways I hope your problem soonā€¦ Try contacting the support email, and good luck. Also, that makes me right about it not being a bugā€¦ I thinkā€¦ :sweat_smile:

Well, itā€™s a half-bug x) Itā€™s logical regarding the CSS, but 21:9 is a case the developpers probably forgot regarding the low percentage of people using it :smile: And it can be fixed !

CASCADING STYLE SHEET FOR THE WIN!

This is one of the reasons why I really like HTML5

Thatā€™s reminds me of Half-Life 3ā€¦ Please GabeN, MAKE IT

Thank you for reporting this I will let the devs know. :smile:

Thanks a lot, Charlie :slight_smile: Forgot to mention that i play on Windows on Steam Version !

Thank you for the update!

Well I kinda half solved the problemā€¦ LOL

I half thank you so :stuck_out_tongue:

If I knew where in the hell of the 3300 line CSS file theyā€™re hiding I wouldā€™ve already sent you a fix. Heck, Iā€™m better than official support, but I guess that would be illegal, hehhe