[WIP] CompetitorMod by kristof1104 & DzjengisKhan

Hey Kristof and DRJOSJAIF (sorry, forgot your name and can’t be bothered to check. Sorry! :smile: ) its great to see you guys working on it. I’ll definitely use it in my Game Dev Tycoon experience.

If you put @ before their name it will mention them :wink:

1 Like

CompetitorMod is now available on steam workshop.
@Stian Thx We’ll check that out! Will take a while because we’re gonna change the whole system.

2 Likes

The plugin API is available at http://www.gdtmp.tk/pluginjs

It shouldn’t be too hard, because you just add a receiver to your code to set competitor 1 to what the plugin says.

2 Likes

Seems there is a bug in the workshop version. Just started a new game, clicked on CompetitorMod:

1 Like

Thats weird :s I’ll check right away! Thanks for the heads up patrick!

1 Like

Ow yeah that button shouldn’t be there yet.
I was testing something My bad! :smiley:
Thx Patrick

2 Likes

Should be fixed now could someone check please?
right click anywhere and see if there is an competitorMod entry in the menu.

1 Like

Works.

1 Like

thanks! :slight_smile:

I don’t know if anyone ever noticed that but there is an easy exploit:

Buy low competitor for X money, merge with their company and win X money + their fans and their RP.
That makes no sense.

1 Like

Kind of makes sense. Microsoft buys Nokia for a cheap price. Microsoft gets all their research, maybe not all fans but some, but the money part doesnt make sense.

3 Likes

Maybe add legal issues like a 10 - 20% chance of not being able to buy the company at the time.
Percentage should increase after every purchase of a company. Even higher if the company merges.

Oh and also some form of tax maybe when merging?
Maybe something that could be implimented through the election mod, @Stian

Then they would have to release a competitor APi :smiley:

2 Likes

It would make a lot of sense though to add more challenge to the game.

Ex. If a communist person takes charge, you get very little benefits from merging and a higher chance of not being able to buy the company.

Honestly, politics doesn’t go well with this mod. You should give that suggestion to like the election mod I believe its called.

Yeah I’m talking about a collab between the 2.

Politics does go very well with this mod… There’s taxes, a lot of paperwork and legal issues that normally have to be addressed and taken care of before one company can buy or merge with another…

Maybe not as a requirement, but I think it would be neat if these 2 mods can be played both separately, and together.

1 Like

I would need Kristof to create an API first :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

haha :stuck_out_tongue:
Maybe In the future @DzjengisKhan & me have are hands full at the moment… We’ve got al lotttttt of stuff todo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This mod is an amazing idea. I have a few ideas that may or may not have been suggested already.

IMMERSION: (Imo this should be one of the most important aspects of the mod)

• Notifications of upcoming games from the competitors
  • Notifications of competitor best seller hits and total failure games
  • Notifications of competitors making new game engines and their approximated cost
  • Notifications of competitor best seller sequels announced
  • Showing results of all you and competitors G3 participants

GAMEPLAY EFFECTS:

• After a few hit games in the same genre an competitor company will “specialize” in that genre and it will be slightly harder for you to get a good rating in that genre while it will be slightly/much easier for that competitor to do that.

• Special events

• I don’t think there should be much difference in gameplay, no “Sabotage” stuff etc. I mean it doesn’t really happen irl either and would be rather superficial addition to the game.

Anyway, what I think would be important is a lot of news and headlines about the competitors and not so much new gameplay elements. Just the fact it would feel like competing against others.

Just my suggestions though.