Windows 8 - Game fails to Load after start screen "cannot read property of Null"

I’m on steam and running windows 8.

Steps:
The Game splash screen occurs, prompts to click
upon click an alert is triggered

ERROR
could not initialize loaded game: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘version’ of null
If the issue persists please report this error to

What I’ve done to resolve.
I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times.
Deleted local content.
This occurred after a different error in which the game reported that there was a problem between the cloud and local game files. After that I’ve been unable to play the game.

I’m assuming the cloud has a corrupt file and that after the load screen you are passing and referencing a server on your site for usage tracking and obviously some sort of external game state saves.

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for these issues. It sounds like a save has become corrupted. You will need to delete the broken save and/or all saves.

In summary;
Delete the Saves in the App Data folder + The saves in the Steam User Data folder + The General file in the Steam User Data folder

Some extra info that may help;

How to Disable Steam Cloud

You will need to disable Steam Cloud to stop your saves re downloading;

1. In your Steam Library, right-click on Game Dev Tycoon and select “Properties.”
  2. Click the “Updates” tab.
  3. Uncheck “Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for Game Dev Tycoon.”
  4. Click “Close.”

Save Game Locations for both Steam Supported OS

On Windows 8 and Under:

C:/Users/YOURUSER/Appdata/Local/Game Dev Tycoon - Steam/Local Storage/
where YOURUSER is your Windows user name.

To View the App Data folder please allow viewing of Hidden Files and Folder;
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/show-hidden-files

On Mac:

~/Library/Application Support/{app}/Local Storage

WARNING - Do not do the following unless you want to remove your savegames

For The Steam edition if you navigate to;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\Your ID\239820\remote
(Your path may be slightly different if you did not install in the default location)

And delete the “General” file then your save box will be clear in game too!
As soon as you save again the appdata files are overwritten.

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt response.

That seems to have returned functionality. Much appreciated.

this still seems to happen even with no save games, i already uninstalled and reinstalled the game a few times, and followed the steps in the comment, but still get this error, and i cant even start a new game because it just sits on the black loading screen and doesnt do anything

Hello @rogunhqy
I would suggest starting a new game following the exact procedure: as soon as the game hits the ‘click to continue’ screen press the ‘escape’ key and select ‘new’ from the menu.
The error message may remain but once closed via the ‘x’ it should not recur. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.