What engine should I use for making a 2D game?

Java and C# are not easy programming languages to learn. But thanks for the input.

Unity is more 3D oriented. It makes it a little more difficult to make a 2D game than dedicated 2D engines (like GameMaker: Studio & Construct 2).

Well…
C# is easy…
At least with Visual Studio…
At least for me…

C# and Visual Studio is nowhere near a game engine, and its not optimized for games in any way shape or form. You wouldn’t even be able to create custom buttons and its just silly that in this day in age, people actually use platform-dependent stuff.

Godot uses a very light language called GDScript and is very 2D-oriented. UI is handled MUCH better than in Unity, and its royalty-free and open-source.

That’s exaclty what I’m considering. Still thinking which to pick between Godot, GameMaker: Studio & Construct 2. That’s the real issue, now that I’ve narrowed my search down.

Okay, I dont see why you should choose Construct 2 or GameMaker. I mean, both cost money! Yes, you can have the free version but that has less functions. Both are also closed-source, which is a shame!

In Godot, you have an AMAZING community on Facebook! You can ask anything, and the developers are online every other hour :slight_smile:

But, the most important - COMPLETELY free and open-source. If you are looking for a team to help you etc, send me a PM and I’ll get you into Nanonical! (our team) That would require your game to be open-source however :wink:

Thanks a lot.

I’m just debating it in my mind which to pick because I want to pick the one that has as many features as possible (I don’t want to find myself mid-project not being able to do something because of the engine’s limitations).

Even if the other two cost money (for GameMaker, the Professional edition is $100), I’m willing to pay if they offer more than the others.

1 Like

@Curtis , Unity 3D is way hard then unity 2D, try it.

Well, they dont. I’ve gotten sick of the big engines trying to sell “more features” when its just marketing.

There is no difference between Unity3D and 2D apart from the viewport. It still uses C# and costs money. A lot.

@Stian ,you don’t need to pay for it , it is free , only the assets in the assets store cost money :stuck_out_tongue:

… do you even know what engine you are talking about?

Unity 3D is my favorite.

@Stian , Yes , I do, bro you might be getting your self scamed from another website.

IMO construct 2 is good, but it has its limits.
again you also need to pay for good exporting options and commercial use.

1 Like

Torque2D
https://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2d

Them why did you say its free? It has a limited trial version only.

@Stian , there’s no trial version,it’s fully free besides the assests store

Today, we’re gonna have a lesson about Unity. Unity is made by a couple of people wanting to make money. Using the free version limits your features and you cant make a net profit of over 100 000 $. I have Legopigman101 with me today, who refuses to check up on their license page because he’s trying to sound like a smartass. How do you feel about the entire situation, Legopigman? “@Stian , there’s no trial version,it’s fully free besides the assests store” Let me recap just one more time…

1 Like

@Legopigman101 you must be at a soup kitchen, because you just got served!

1 Like

That was bad.

Anyway…
@Legopigman101 it’s never free… :cry:

2 Likes