Reviving old topics (necroing)

@furiousuk Don’t Necro :angry:

1 Like

@KizzaGaming Kinda difficult not to on discourse forums seeing as how they are content driven rather than date

If its still relevant what does it matter that its a few months old, is there a newer or more relevant thread I should be posting in instead?

edit: Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome.

This thread has been dead for over a year, if people thought this thread was still relevant, it wouldn’t be dead.

*Over a year

I can detect the huge sarcasm levels here.

Anyway since your new here I will forgive you

And welcome to the forums :smiley:

Oh yeah, a year! Ha ha! Didnt see the 13!! Doh!

Still though, to be fair, it was a suggested thread, discourse actually encourages necro due to its suggested topics feature. Pretty sure you can set it up to not suggest old threads, or auto close old threads to stop this sort of error. Kind of a case of if its really a big deal then dont allow it.

1 Like

Yeah, this is my suggested topics list

(Notice how 3 of them have been dead for a year)

Anyway, it’s ok, mistakes happen :smiley:

I don’t think that reviving an old topic in itself is an issue, so long that the post is on-topic and the topic itself is still current. In a lot of cases you probably won’t see any engagement from the original posters anymore but if the topic re-ignites then I don’t see the harm.

What is more disruptive is off-topic remarks, hence I moved the whole necro discussion in its own topic.

4 Likes

Hmm, fair enough. I only hate necroing because it brings dead topics to the top, possibly a way to solve this is to add an option that will allow us the say if topic hasn’t been posted on for x amount of days, don’t show it at the top when a new post has been made

That’s already happening. Try replying to a really old topic and you will see this:

Yes i know that, but some new users could possibly miss that, what i meant was us users have a setting tied to our account saying if a thread has not been posted on in the last x days (Let’s use 60 as an example) Then that user will not see that thread at the top of the forum :wink:

Not sure I follow. This is already what’s happening. By default you see the ‘latest’ topics.

1 Like

When @furiousuk posted on that old thread, it showed at the top of the latest topics list (For me)

It’s kinda hard to explain what i mean.

I’ll describe it better later :stuck_out_tongue:

that’s the point of ‘latest’ - it gives you the latest activity. If you are more interested in hot topics, maybe the Top view would serve better:

1 Like

Kizza, look at “new” that is what I use :wink:

1 Like