If you could change/improve/add ONE thing in Game Dev Tycoon, what would it be?

Removing “create custom engine” and just let me use parts as I research them.

(I really didn’t understand the whole point of making a 300-400k engine just to research a new part and have to waste another large sum of money to add it in with all the other parts I JUST added in)

To be fair, I’ve only gotten to the second stage so far, but it’s a really, REALLY irritating part of the game for me so far.

History of monthly sales and income across the years.

5 Likes

It would be nice if you added a way to add-on to a current game engine you have in the game rather than having to pay for everything you’ve already developed.

for example:

i make a game engine with Version 1 3d graphics, linear storylines, and the gamepad controler.

Later on i want to upgrade to Version 2 3d graphics. It would make sense to add Version 2 graphics to my current game engine instead of having to pay for everything else again.

Please pretty please?? it would save me soo much in-game cash!

3 Likes

The ability to purchase licenses for engines - What if you don’t have the money to make your own engine? Just buy a commercial license for Unity or Torque. Simple.

3 Likes

Longer names for games. Maybe even a title/subtitle system.

I want to have a longer title than “The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II: The Rise of the Witch-king”

Just kidding, but they definitely need to be longer.

7 Likes

1- can you make sandbox game? I don’t think so

1. Non-exclusive market shares. There is no reason why someone having a PC should mean they own nothing else.
6 Likes

Time slowed down, i feel time goes way too fast there was numerous systems i didn’t even release a game for because time was going way too quick. That’s my one suggestion out of many i have. Thanks.

4 Likes

Ability to research Multi-platform gaming.

7 Likes

Collector editions for games.

5 Likes

I would make it where you can add how much the games cost.

2 Likes

Editions to games would be awesome to!

1 Like

I’d go with the mod api idea :slight_smile: but wouldnt mind a sweet ol Classic Sim City Disaster Menu so I could get the pirates downloading my games and ruining my business model aswell :slight_smile: (or would it be legit to dl the pirate version now that I bought the original? )

3 Likes

The ability to set prices for games would be interesting. It would have to be fleshed out and tested, but pricing is one of the biggest decisions involving a game. Is anyone buying Game Dev Tycoon for $49.99? Perhaps, a few but overall the low price point helped convince people to buy the game.NFL 2k5 made a huge push into EA’s market share because they released the game at $19.99 instead of the going rate of $49.99. Of course, this addition might be too much for the game to handle.

1 Like

“Is anyone buying Game Dev Tycoon for $49.99.” “Of course, this addition might be too much for the game to handle.?”

GDT is not a hundred million dollar game… You’r point is inaccurate. I would imagine, if a company invested tens of millions into a game, they would not want to charge 10 bucks, that would lead to bankruptcy.

Also, at the start of GDT you create small games, then medium, large and then AAA. Why would you not want to charge a little bit more for your large game, or would you rather charge 8 bucks for all your games, even the one that had millions invested into it just to make a few hundred?

Multiplayer. Make it happen :smiley:

3 Likes

If you charge lower, more people tend to buy the game so you get a large amount but in smaller chunks.
If you charge higher, people will be less likely to buy it, especially if it isn’t a good game (7,7,7,7). But if they do buy it you get money in larger chunks.

1 Like

The ability to license engines to other companies. This would come at the cost of reduced profits on games you make with that engine.

1 Like

As Malurous (and perhaps others), different engine parts should make sense on the platform and genre it is used on. Gamepads is a must for most consoles, mouse is almost a must for PC/Stategy etc
I cant remember seeing a steering wheel ever improving a hand held console.

That is already in the game…Research SDK and include it in an engine.