If you could change/improve/add ONE thing in Game Dev Tycoon, what would it be?

Add more ,roleplaying" feel to the game.

[Contains spoilers.]

I would love to see my features having other than purely technicall (as in, affecting bubbles ratio) effect on the game (eg. releasing an adventure with steering wheel support vs. adventure with mouse support).

Also, two more things I would love to see :

Engine info in the game history. A name of engine would be fully sufficient and would save me sheets of RL paper and the annoyance of keeping notes.

Player-inputed descriptions, written before game developement starts. I know that hoping for an in-depth story elements choosing for your games is silly (at least until Green<3 grows a bit more :3), but wouldnā€™t it be awesome to be able to leave a purely aesthetic note to yourself ? Telling your future self that this game called ,Pirate is free IV" is centered around a poor lad who fell off the pirate ship one stormy night and had nothing but a barrel of rum to accompany him on his sail to an uninhabited island ? Technically, this would add a little icon with letter ,i" to your game descr. in the game history, and clicking it would show this note. Easy as that, totally voluntary, and would add a ton of nostalgic value to your past games.
Sorry for the wall oā€™ text, but I felt that this issue has not been mentioned properly until now.

2 Likes

I would like you to add more of editing power in which i would be able to add more workers in rather than the original 6 so i could create better if not more games :stuck_out_tongue:

As I stated in another post, I really just want more control over my saves. Being able to use all 3 slots on the same game would be glorious. Having at least two auto saves with the option of choosing how often they occur would be awesome, but I mainly would like the first suggestion.

1 Like

Game Templates so I donā€™t have to keep the wiki open all the time. Allow the program to remember my settings I get from the wiki:

Genre
(Tech/Design)
Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3
Engine Gameplay Story/ Quests Dialogues Level Design AI World Design Graphic Sound
Action (1.8) 100 80 0 0 80 100 0 100 80
Adventure (0.4) 0 80 100 100 50 0 100 80 0
RPG (0.6) 0 80 100 100 80 0 100 80 0
Simulation (1.6) 100 100 0 0 100 100 0 100 80
Strategy (1.6) 80 100 0 0 100 80 0 100 80
Casual (0.5) 0 100 0 0 100 0 0 100 80

I would love to upgrade my own studio!
Buy my own goods. for example the green-screen.
When you buy the green screen you can get realistic moves ect,
Or a game corner to keep your employees happy.

Greetings,

Piet Bakker

2 Likes

god mode! :smiley:

Ok, that should be a funny post, but while writing i got an idea. What about cheats as a development feature? I remember the (old good :wink:) times, in the 90ā€™s, almost all games had real cheats. Who can ever forget IDDQD? I think it would be little more authentic to be able to develop cheats especialy in the early years. Later cheats could be updated in to cheats v2, called console.

2 Likes

Some kind of multiplayer server system kinda what Maxis did with the new simcity so itā€™s timeless and you start with a half built company and your friends join you world.(Like normal game but you can play server style) So there are 5 default consoles and instead of starting a brand new company you take one that is specialized over so your company might be making consoles as speciality or maybe action games. Then you compete or work together with your friends to make the market as good as possibleā€¦ I would love multiplayer for this game!!!

That would be freaking EPIC!!!

My favorite part of the game was when I finished my console and had a huge amount of money and then decided to create a AAA MMO that flopped. Then I decided to create an expansion for the MMO that also flopped at which point I had spend pretty much all of my money and shortly after went bankrupt. That right there was the best experience I could have had in the game.

My idea is that it would be cool to be able to hire a consultant to help you know how to build the game. Obviously it shouldnā€™t be a cheat tool that automatically makes a good game, but perhaps the person is a consultant on a specific thing like game engine (which would then tell you how much you should focus on the game engine) or perhaps after training your own employees up to a certain level you can train them to give feedback on their specialization (and then you can start to get conflicting feedback on what to focus on more). This way you get an idea but it isnā€™t telling you exactly what you have to do to make a good game.

1 Like

More realistic monthly costs for the indie in the garage.

1 Like

How about a more realistic monthly cost in general? No game developer makes 100K / FRIGGIN MONTH just because heā€™s awesome at his job. I donā€™t care who he is.

and youā€™re right, why does he have an 8k / FRIGGIN month expense bill, living at home, in the early 80ā€™s?

How many hookers is he buying every week? Seriouslyā€¦

2 Likes

yeah you would add it and a bunch of versions of it

1 Like

I would like to see a more extensive list of consoles to develop on. Like my childhood favorites the Sega Saturn, Sega CD, Turbographix 16 With CD unit, 3DO, Atari Jaguar and Jaguar CD system, Atari Lynx. I also agree with some others that the console wars needs to be random and not always follow history. At times the master system needs to be able to beat the nintendo in popularity etc. Longer time like 50 years would be awesome too!

3 Likes

I would have liked to have seen the games you develop have more of an impact in history. Like because you chose to invest in the master system, it surpass the nintendo, Or the the dreamcast beat out the ps2, or at least last longer. Sadly because if you know history at all you know what is going to be worth investing in.

Also if the game time could be slowed down. No matter how fast I try to get stuff done, just taking the time to click my options I can lose over a week in game.

2 Likes

Slow the game down a bit. We donā€™t get the option to develop a sequel until way after that platform (except pc) has died out.

1 Like

Change the column interface, itā€™s not really intuitive. You could keep only the bottom slider and put some ā€œlearned on previous mistakesā€ in-game-wiki information in place of columns.

If I could only make one change, I would alter the environment that the game takes place in. Currently, you compete against only yourself. I would love to see some in-game competition (preferable not only by multiplayer, as I play this slowly and, often times, on breaks at work). With in game competition, my games could be compared to competition, Iā€™d be able to see what kind of game my competitor made and could spend research on approximations of their sliders. If I am constantly beating them, it could push the market to innovate faster than historically accurate. If my competitor and I constantly are competing on console X, that consoleā€™s life cycle could be extended (or the next gen could get a better start) and market share increasedā€¦

Overall, itā€™s a great game! Iā€™m excited to see that you are looking to improve it! Thank you!

I would improve the review system so you would get proper feedback and it was not mostly randomised (I spell it like that because Iā€™m British).

3 Likes

Since increased feedback was already said to be something that will be improved later my one thing will be game features being less generic.
They could be cheaper to implement on some systems i.e. sound features being expensive on N64 because it wasnā€™t CD quality sound for example or Mod Support is easier on PCs.
Or have them be more effective like Achievements are fully integrated in XBOX and PS3 but handled on a game by game basis on Nintendo.
And there could be topic/feature combos that work better the same way topics/genres can be better. Nay/Night cycle with Vampire and werewolf are the obvious examples.
Features working better with specific genres might not be necessary since having to focus the slider on those areas will cause you to add those features anyway, physics on action games for example, but a few things like multiplayer on casual games are very popular features but go against the optimal slider focus which avoids engine. So giving a bonus to that combo would give a reason to try and squeeze in that feature.