If you could change/improve/add ONE thing in Game Dev Tycoon, what would it be?

You should make it to were when you make a game at the first screen when you name it you should be able to ask if a publisher will help you. instead of listening to what publishers want it to be!

Yes true, then depending the finance offer based off that. It could make sense but for the starting 5 years or so, it could work well as you only publish on your own. Or a little DLC that when you start, it says Consoles now introduce “Indie Games” to its game list, this could help the start up company and make sense while so.

More analytics so we can clearly see what went right/wrong, what additions will do to a game (IE will adding steering wheel improve my game at all), showing you what you put in past games, displaying what skills will improve with which training categories , and explaining if more “design” or “tech” points are useful on each slider (IE will my 94 design, 380 tech programmer be alright in ‘graphics’, ‘speech’, ‘engine’ and WHY ‘yes’ or ‘no’).

In a nutshell, more analytics.

1 Like

I’d like to see consoles become more dynamic. If I’m pumping out hit after hit on the DreamVast, it shouldn’t tank within two years. Because the consoles are so static it only makes sense to develop for the ones that won historically. I’m not saying the G64 should be alive in year 18, but if I make a lot of good games the event might be delayed by let’s say a year or so.

Perhaps another way to make other consoles more viable choices would be to have more variation between them. One way would be by making certain Topics, like Genres, fit with certain Platforms. Sports would be a perfect fit on the mBox 360, but it’d be a bad fit on the Wuu for example.

1 Like

you should make a game difficulty setting. Or Make it easier to get a perfect 10 score! I am on year 190 and have yet to get a 10! my last 23 games all were 9.75

I think that would be Martial Arts\Action

I think the market share means the percentage of game sales out of all game sales, not the ownership of the platform. Example: The Wii sold a lot of consoles but a lot of those people didn’t buy as many games and owners of other consoles do. Therefor the market share is lower.

Yes, I wondered why you couldn’t do this, so much so that I assumed it was something you could research. Logically there has to be launch games but you can’t make them?
The way I think it should work is when a new console is announced, have several publisher deals for the new console. Then in the third stage you can make launch games without a publisher, because you’re big enough to get early development kits yourself.

It especially sucks if it’s a hit game. I think it was Game #27 for me. I made a sequel, called it something like 27 returns.

Legit rivals. This is the most important thing I asked for on the dlc you’ll be giving us or when you overhaul the gameitself.:slight_smile:

If I could change/improve/add ONE thing in Game Dev Tycoon, it would be the feature to port games to multiple platforms.

Example: you research “Codebase Porting” or something. Then,when you develop a new game, you choose your primary platform and any secondary platforms you want to port to during development. During development, certain phases may take longer since you are developing for simultaneous systems (more focus on the tech branches, like AI and Engine while design branches like Dialogue would take the same time since dialogue wouldn’t change between systems). Sales would then be based off the combined marketshare of all ported platforms at the expense of time to develop the game. Additionally, an option to “port existing game” from the main menu could spend tech and design to port any of your game titles to a different platform; though it would take much longer than if done during the game’s development.

The problem with that is that using a derived value so far down the chain is meaningless unless you have an idea of the other values used to derive it.

Here is an example.

You have a store in my town and are trying to decide whether to stock candy.
You need to sell 500 bars per month at $1 each to break even.

Estimates show that 5% of all purchases in a month would be candy.

Will selling candy be profitable?

You can’t answer this question with the information provided.

I think right now the BIG ONE thing I would like is to trash a game currently in development as opposed to the current system of waiting until the bug fix stage.

Sometimes I realize early on that I made a mistake and it would be nice to scrap the project immediately than waste time developing a game I know I’m either going to trash because it’s crap or release to poor reviews simply due to the time invested.

Ideally, the option to “go back to the drawing board” would be better, let me go back to a previous slider allocation phase and start that phase over again for the cost of some development points and of course the time wasted (and possible lost fans).

Either way, I hate spending 6 months developing a game I KNOW is going to be crap because early on I forgot to adjust the sliders from my usual Action mix to an RPG mix.

Yeah that would be fantastic. I think this is the best ‘add a feature’ (as opposed to change or improve) suggestion I’ve read. That was called a “bones file” in NetHack, although you do see you’re actual ghost in the game so ghost mode would have fit as well.

It would make the world feel more alive especially if it drove events. Right now you get messages about what genres or audiences are hot at the moment. That could be determined by successful games released in past playthroughs. Conversely it would work against you, where for instance a successful Military/Action game released on the mBox, that could saturate the market for military action on the mBox making a game of yours release of the same type on the same platform sell poorly, but a Military/Action game sell well on another platform because Military/Action has a lot of hype but the big selling game isn’t available on other platforms. Also the both rating at G3 would be more interesting if it included past playthroughs in the ranking.

It could solve two other complaints as well. First that playing passed the scheduled end of the game gives you no new systems released. Your past custom consoles could fill that space. And this could create a dynamic difficulty adjustment. The better you’ve played before, the more competition you’ll have in the future.

Best idea ever,

The possiblities for advanced choices… By that I mean the possiblities to choose multi platform (like PC, PlaySystem AND MBox), and chance to choose what kind of view it should be ( like 3.rd person, First Person and so on), but that the only way that could happen is by choosing “Advanced Details” on the menu before starting the game :slight_smile:

Actually my idea was much simpler. Much, much simpler. It would work this way: You would choose the plataform and, after you picked one, a new blue square would be created for you to pick another plataform. The cost would just accumulate, of course. Maybe it should have an extra cost, because you would make 2+ profits at once, and this would unbalance the game.
A single research would be necessary for you to be able to launch multiplataform games, just like the multi-gender. But on an early age.
I have another idea working diferently, but that existed because of that, and it is to “budget cap” the technology abled to use in such plataform. Not sure if You understand this 2nd idea, but it’s to limit the Graphic version that can be used in such plataform, for instance.
It’s a little surreal when You create a 3D V5 game (with stereoscopic and headset) to Gameling (if you’re a good researcher, of course). I’d like to have this “corrected”.
Sniper, thank you.

Make topics modify ideal slider positions. (IE Music would heavily favor a high Sound focus) or get a bigger boost from specific engine components (Business gets big boost from having the ‘Virtual Economy’ world design component).

I’d love if there was a modding API (irl)

1 Like

I would put in more genres.

1 Like

The ability to pick two topics. Kinda like the two genres research option. I was thinking like space horror or rythme music etc

2 Likes