If you could change/improve/add ONE thing in Game Dev Tycoon, what would it be?

More employees like GameMasters (for MMOs), PR, (Alpha- & Beta-) Testers (Lab?!)

2 Likes

Grid sales income I think should increase based on your companyā€™s game history. People love playing old favorites again years later, and I think it should also have the ebb and flow rates when a game is considered still on the market.

Thereā€™s more potential to Grid as well, maybe even adding it as an engine feature or add social applications via the Lab. You could also add a PR related feature that after researching it you get a boost to hype accumulation due to the concept of sneak peeks and easily distributed demos.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s plenty of topics to choose from, but as far as the genres go, thereā€™s only the initial 5 + casual games. Where are my platformers? I have to assume theyā€™re being generically lumped into ā€œActionā€ I suppose given thatā€™s the only genre that fits onto the early Ninvendo consoles? Where are my fighting games as well? My First vs. Third person shooters? I get that having a handful of overbroad genres makes things a bit easier to work with generally; but especially when you look at it side by side with the topics listingā€¦I wish there were just a lot more genre offerings.

As far as genres go, Iā€™d also like to see them go in and out of style, perhaps with research similar to Casual games opening up whenever a new genre is making a buzz in the market. With Ninvendoā€™s Nario platformers making a stir in the early game, but falling out of favor later on. DREAD making a splash onto the PC scene only at first, but the mBox breathes greater popularity into the shooter genres. ā€œStrategy games are popular for a few monthsā€ just doesnā€™t cut it in this regard.

Having watched over the shoulder of a friend who plays this game WAY too muchā€¦

Thereā€™s no ā€œValve timeā€ option. The game doesnā€™t give you the option to extend development cycles. The whole slider/feature mix-match thing is a neat concept, but I think itā€™d be more fun for players if they could extend the development time.

This would also necessitate the ability to pause development to allow your employees to go on vacation while a game in development is halted. IMO I also think the whole vacation thing is silly. Why not make it so that players can invest in fun things to have around the studio to decrease the ā€˜drainā€™ on employees. Buy consoles, games, televisions, fancy break rooms.

4 Likes

you should change the rating system to actual esrb ratings

ESRB is a US standard. It makes no sense on a game developed by an international company (mailing address in Australia and website based in Europe) for international distribution. As it is the ratings in the game are actually designed well in terms of the idea this is the audience your game is targeting, not what censors consider the game to be limited to. I feel they did a decent job keeping to a small target audience system that can be internationally interpreted with ease.

Thatā€™s what starting again is for dude :wink:

Overhaul the deeply flawed rating system.

1 Like

Diversify game reviewers and provide contextual feedback. For example, Informed Gamer should offer a significantly different perspective than Game Hero (based on different criteria).

Some of the in-game contextual feedback (Racing and Simulation is a great combination) is excellent.

3 Likes

new consoles for longer

If I could improve or change one thing in Game Dev Tycoon, it would be the Review Algorithm. Every time I make a game with good sliders and a WHOLE lot of Tech and Design bubbles, the reviews just tear down my game with 4ā€™s,5ā€™s,6ā€™s and decrease my sales by A LOT. I had this game that sold 1 million copies then every single game after that began to have bad reviews with scores around 4 and 5. >:(

More information : numbers, nicely colored charts, pies (to digest the numbers), reasons for failure/success. All of that with historic.

add in online play with freainds

I would remove the maximum character allowance when titling a game or engine.

:smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™d love to see more indepth dev stages which really cover each corner of the dev stages.
Letā€™s take an example of "Storyline and Quests"
Iā€™d love to see a feature where you will be presented at least 5 story lines and quest lists which surely have to be long and you choose each of them or maybe but itā€™s hard to make, I know: Creating your own stoyline (:

How about making and releasing games to multiple platforms at the same time.

Just like in real life :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The slamming of any game with the same genre / type if released after another game.

I made what I imagined as a sidescrolling shooter action game and then what I imagined as a platformer action game. These shared the same type/genre of action / fantasy as in my head one was a dragonrider game and the next was a platformer with a knight. The game auto bombed because it was the ā€˜same as the last oneā€™. I was infuriated. This shouldnā€™t be a ā€˜thingā€™, the game shouldnā€™t assume to know exactly what your game is.

I know its hard to doā€¦
Make the game progress alot into future with new offices and consoles, you know stuff like that would be great cuz me personal have played the game for 24 H now and i have 1 bil fans and made a game that sold 13,989,271,650,909.9 M copies. Thanks.

2 Likes

What about multi-topic games? Like Space-Horror or Fantasy-Cyberpunk?

4 Likes

Being able to choose where you want to move your office to. (the office size and the rent)

Moving from 8k rent to 32k was too much imo, the game didnā€™t even inform me about the rent difference.

1 Like