GameDevTycoon-138.exe Security Risk - Author Reply Please

So just downloaded the latest update and went to run the installation and Norton went crazy that there was a security risk, so I copied the file to another machine that runs a different security protocol and the same thing has happened again, the game wont install and update. I never had this with the previous version 131. What have you changed to make the virus applications think different and no I shouldn’t have to just say its safe to run the file either. Would appreciate feedback from the author.

This has been mentioned previously:

http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/antivirus-keeps-on-deleting-the-demo/559

The problem in this instance appears to be that each version must be submitted to Norton as a ‘safe’ application.

You forget or overlooked his:

If you read the linked thread, you will note that @PatrickKlug was the one to submit the game executable to Norton. It appears that he must do this for each version, since the EXE name appears to be changing.

As a workaround, try renaming the file to remove the ‘-138’ part.

yesterday i played pirate 1.3.5 version and norton360 didnt remove installer. today i bought the game and downloaded 1.3.8 and norton deletes immediately. i have to turn off antivirus protection :frowning: i hope i wont have to turn off for future installers

My own opinion: Stop using Norton and use something better, like Avast, and not have this issue. And save yourself money, unless Norton stopped charging for their PoS software. Now back to lurking…

1 Like

I have contacted Norton (again) about this. Awaiting their reply.

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: I bought the Windows 8 Store version - can I get the downloadable as well?

Couldn’t agree more. If Norton is the only antivirus that does this it’s obviously sub par.

We’ve also scanned the file and installer ourselves. Avast and Avira don’t show any threats. We’ll await the verdict from Norton.

Here’s Norton again:

Upon further analysis and investigation we have verified your
submission and as such this detection will be removed from our
products.

The updated detection will be distributed in the next set of virus
definitions, available via LiveUpdate or from our website at
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

I saw Sips from the Yogscast playing this and thought it would be a cool game so after proceeding to buy it, Norton automatically removed it. I followed the advice here and got the LiveUpdate for Norton and it still wasn’t working. It says that since less than 50 Norton users downloaded this, it was a threat and would not let me open it or try and rename it.

it seems that we have to go through this issue with every update. ridiculous. I will see if we can somehow prevent this in the future. Right now, you will have to temporarily disable Norton to download the game.

The simplest option would be to not rename the exe with each update. Instead release a zip file with the installer and a version.txt file. Then Norton will recognise the name of the zip file (which wouldn’t change) and only one submission should be necessary.

A longer term fix would be to contact Norton and see if you can arrange for some form of Digital Signing of the installers so that Norton can automatically recognise a new version as authentic (or not). A simple code-sign certificate might also go a little towards combating the pirates as only the legitimate copies would be properly signed (theoretically).

NB for those who are unsure about code-signing: Digital Signatures are not DRM, merely a way for GHG to prove that they were the original authors of a given exe.