[Game] Going Viral (2D Strategy)

Introduction

The game will be written in JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. This is good because it means we could port it to browser, and with TideSDK powering it, it can be ported to Windows, Linux, and OS X operating systems as well!

Concept

This will be a game about managing a channel on a video uploading site, the goal being to eventually be the most famous and successful content creator on the site.
You will have to struggle to keep your subscribers happy as each and every one of them will have their own likes and dislikes, meaning that if you switch up your content some might unsubscribe, and be careful… they might be famous channels on the site too, and all their fans who were subscribed to you might unsubscribe along with them. Or they could be reviewers or bloggers that will write about how bad your channel is and get you massive dislikes on some of your videos.

Tons of features are planned, but I’d rather not spoil them here!

Concept Art

FooTube’s uploaded videos page

I will continue to update this thread with more information as necessary, including new concept art as it becomes available.

10 Likes

First complete YouTube Simulator and create this.

1 Like

All these projects coming up from the same people… I’d like to finally see atleast one of them to be finished

@JackBank I think the others are taking a long time because of a lack of programmers, but… I am a programmer (well, in the case of this game a scripter)! I also don’t give up on my projects easily. Once I become invested in something, it quickly turns into obsession.

Though, if we don’t get a good artist the visuals might be enough to turn a lot of people away from the game. :c

2 Likes

This is YouTube simulator :wink:

Hey! Want some help?

Why did you make a complete new thread?

@JackBank Because pretty much everything about the project has changed from what the original post showed. Plus, Aswin will probably be gone most of next week, and I can’t edit his threads obviously, so it’s better if I made a thread.

Also, a little update: I got all the libraries I should need setup, and got about halfway done with time manipulation (time advancing, pausing, fast forwarding) yesterday.

EDIT 2:
@WaveJones What are you wanting to help with? Also, please show an example of your work. Thank you.

Grapherrks
If you want to talk more, PM me

Update June 17th

Got all libraries setup. Game will be powered by TideSDK to ensure availability to Windows, OS X, and Linux.
Finished time manipulation (http://prntscr.com/3ty3mg). Pay no mind to the pinkish background, that was just to highlight it during design. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now I move on to extend the time system by adding in a day/month/year date, which shouldn’t take longer than an hour or so, and then the big part… building the base design of the whole game. I’ve already changed some things since the last version of concept art, like the fact that the game won’t have a main menu. As soon as you start up the game you will be thrown into a page on ChannelTube.com where you will then be able to create a new account (start new game), or log into another account (load a previous game). I want everything to be as stream-lined and immersive as possible. Stream-lined by never not being fully in the game, which is supported by there being no main menu. There will be nothing to take you away from the game. Anyway, the process of designing and building the base of the game might take about a week (a whole 7 days! D:). This is just designing it and then building the core of that design. I’m not even planning to implement any features during this time. From now on you might not be hearing much from me, though don’t worry, I won’t keep everyone completely in the dark!

Once I get done with the core design, I will begin a spree of feature implementing, and possible minor redesigning here-and-there until it’s time for alpha testing, at which time the team and I will try to get a forum and blog going so we can center a community around the game. I can’t wait!

Looks great. Reminds me of TubeStar which I enjoyed. Looking forward to this one. Looks like a @Aswin_Vos project is actually becoming reality, and I’m glad this is the one.

1 Like

I really feel like @DeathRight should get most of the credit. @Aswin_Vos has probably done a lot, but not as much as @DeathRight :slight_smile: Keep it up, both of you!

Haha Im very glad about it indeed :smile: . the reason the other projects didn t turn out well was because the coders started it, but also quited the project. @DeathRight is a serious coder willing to help, and also wanting to prove he (same as me) that we can do something in the gaming industry

@Stian you should n t forget I do some art (when requested), I manage the team involved, I get people for our team, promotion and marketing is also my task…

Soo yeah, it looks like im not doing very much, but backstage it is a whole different story :wink:

I already gave you credit for half the game, so chill. I think you’re both doing a lot of work, and I’m really hyped. Although to be fair, it might be hard to make something better than an already established and well done game. But we’ll see how it goes :slight_smile: Good luck!

Im not mad or anything like that, just wanted to explain what I do :smile:
Only the topic is the same as TubeStar, things like reviews, likes dislikes, shop, stars etc is a whole lot different

Also there are tons of extra features where we are thinking of to include :smile:

Also, I’ve got a suggestion for you. If I were you, I would make a list of features you want to be the ‘base’ of the game. Any ideas you might come up with, (apart from improving existing features) should wait until you’re finished with that list. That works for me, and hopefully for you :slight_smile:

We already have an Game development Document (I think) :wink: so all that kind of stuff is already there :smile: …we just don t want to share it :slight_smile:

The thing is that when you get an idea, that usually interferes with what you’re working on. Focus on a set of features, and don’t change them. Ever. Stian, out. :telescope:

Hahaha >.< If we got an idea, we just put it at the : todo list :slight_smile: