Game Dev Tycoon General Feedback & Suggestions Rolling Thread 1

1. Before that could work, you would have to implement rival companies to feud with.
  2. That wouldn’t really be needed…Power Outages could work, but not flooding, etc.

Please post your ideas in the “Suggestions” Thread that got recently created.

We all know publishers are pretty useless in this game. Their requests are fully RNG based and they may ask you to make a game for mature audiences, on the gamemini (gameboy) with the theme strategy - action. that’s destined to fail even before it begins.
We also know that there are ‘sometimes’ slightly informative reviews when you do something good or bad, such as “should have focused more on engine”, “focusing on dialog was strange”, “focusing on game engine served this game well”. you don’t get many of these, but sometimes when you do, it can help.

Now what does all of this have to do with the suggestion?
Here’s the suggestion. Introduce a “notebook” that will slowly fill in, the more times you play the game. When you obtain a piece of information that helps you, via a review, then the notebook will update an entry
Also instead of the Publishers being completely random, make them actually give you game concepts that are ideal. For instance they may ask you to make a fantasy/RPG for the gamemini, focused on young audiences.

Accepting a publisher contract AND meeting the criteria they set (IE obtaining the score they asked for) will then update your notebook. You see it makes no sense to me why the publishers are ‘in the dark’ when it comes to what’s popular. you’d think they would be paying to do surveys and so would know what the target audience for platforms are, and what types of games are ‘in’ at the moment.

Just peaking at the publisher’s requests may give you inside (IF this request gets implemented) but it won’t update your ‘notebook’ unless you accept the task and complete it.
Also your short reviews of the game, if they grant info other than “played it for days”, or something that isn’t useful, that too will be updated.

You’ll get a little notification, “notebook updated”.

Over time, your notebook will then fill up with proper criteria to make good games, for various consoles. Though the only way to properly fill in the notebook is to either trail-and-error it, or accept publisher contracts (With the new update to make their contracts mean something).

Also we know that buying developer licenses for some platforms are useless. Why should I buy one for the “master system” when I know it’s going off the market and the “gameboy” will stay on the market for 10 years? Well the reason to take the platforms that come and go rapidly, is now to fill in the ‘notebook’… sort of an ‘achievement’ system that isn’t really achievements, but more so information to help you play the game.

The more you play the game, the more publisher contracts you take and succeed in, and the more useful reviews you get (both good and bad) will fill your notebook.

Your notebook also stays with the game, so it’s not “per time you play”.

Now you can access the notebook via options, but you can also access it in-game (via a new icon) when developing a new game.
When filling in what genera, platform, category, etc, for a game, you can then ‘view notebook’ and it will filter any good/bad notes you’ve uncovered for the selections.

For example, if I select “action” and I’ve also received a review saying (If new reviews are implemented) “action games on the VET is a good combination”, or “Aliens - action is a good combination” then such filters will show up in the notebook.
You can view the full notebook sure, but again the filters will be implemented automatically when you make selections, then view the notebook. It sounds more complicated than it actually is, trust me.

so if I pick my game engine and then pick my platform (say TES “Nintendo”) you have to fill in probably one more criteria for the filter to work… so you fill in RPG. You can then ‘view notebook’ and see if you have any reviews on such a combination. You may have had one, saying “RPGs on the TES is a bad combo” so you’d see a red bullet point (say the bullet points are divided, green on left, red on right) on the right, saying “RPG not good for this platform” if you’ve unlocked that information.

The only way you’d unlock it, of course, is if you made one for the TES and the game then did bad, and you got the proper bad review.

So you see, you do have to make bad and mediocre games, as well as good games, for your notepad to really start to fill in.
Eventually you’ll get what’s good on what platforms, what age group uses what consoles, etc.

This would be so useful, while feeling like it’s rewarding the player (us) for making bad and good decisions.
Sure after we play over and over, we could make 7+ games almost every time from the start, but that’s only ‘after the fact’. We can do that right now via the wiki, or via our own real-life notepad taking skills.

In conclusion, an in-game notepad, that fills in over time, via good and bad decisions, will be based on accepting (a reason to finally accept) and succeeding in publisher contracts, and by getting bad/good reviews for your games.

also sometimes you get a review that says “should have focused more on technology”. I know what this means. IT means your engine is outdated and you can’t get more design/tech to save your games any longer :\ instead of that, you’d get this if you have the wrong engine design for the wrong console.

The game has built-in ‘stats’ for these pseudo-consoles already. Having the game know if you’re using a graphics or sound selection that’s too primitive for the console (Or even too advanced) could also be part of the ‘notebook’ though let’s do ‘one thing at a time’ first. (I can save this for another suggestion)

1 Like

This is a very good idea I must admit.

Thanks. They seemed to have moved it to be inclusive into the ‘general feedback rolling thread’. I was wondering why I couldn’t find my thread after checking the forums today.

It was jarring. Now I feel the suggestion will get lost in the shuffle of all the others, but oh well.

1 Like

Sorry i scared you :wink:

Actually this way its more likely to get seen by the people who matter, the devs, because now they only have to read one thread, rather than searching the forums or reading down the very long list, which will inevitably lead to threads they miss!

I have only moved over from email to support to forum community managing a couple of days ago so please be patient with the upheaval.

Sniper , I know the Devs would listen to the community , but it all depends on the budget. If these Devs only have like 120k or like 300k , we can’t expect them to make a AAA game. People like Treyarch have millions so we expect them to make a AAA game. But GHG is a growing company and for sure they’ll make better games and updates for the future. You can speed up the process by donating to the devs. So far GHG made a great game. The game is worth 8 dollars. Very fun and creative. Thumbs up to the devs.

2 Likes

Would be cool if there was actually an indication on how to go back to the main room in level 3 I searched for hours before figuring out I had to use the arrows, maybe putting a button like the one that get to the lab and the research department or maybe juste a little texte saying use the arrow to return to the main room. It’s really nothing but when you get locked the first time, you really are lost if you don’t have much money.

3 Likes

So one doesn’t have to play with the wiki page open in the background, I humbly suggest the following:

Early in the game (Still in the garage phase) put cheap research item “Market Research” for 10 research points and maybe $10k.

Once researched, you will be warned in advance if you are about to select a bad topic/genre combo.
During development, the sliders will be marked as ‘important’ ‘flexible’ or ‘unimportant’ based on the genre(s) you are using.

This is enough information to avoid an easily-prevented failure, without giving so much that it removes the challenge and strategy of developing consistent hits.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see a sort of multiplayer. A way to fund friends when they are in need, or do collaborative work with your friends. Or maybe pay to sabotage your friends, which would also be very… let’s just say… fun. I also agree with CocoMadness and his [massive] post of ideas. They are all amazing, and hope to see them in the [near or distant] future.

2 Likes

Look six posts above yours at my ‘notepad’ suggestion :slight_smile:

Of course I know that aswell, but I have been wondering, what is there actual budget and how much would it cost to make GDT? I have never known this…

At some point in stage two, add ‘porting’ as a researchable technology with a pretty hefty research point cost.

Once researched, you would be able to pick a 2nd platform when developing a game, the same way you can choose an optional second genre after researching muti-genre. You would obviously need the licenses for both platforms and would be prompted to buy one for the port if needed.

You cannot port hand-held platforms (Gamling, Game Gear, moble phones, Ipads etc) to larger platforms (consoles and the PC) and vice versa. You also cannot port between platforms with different tech levels (Developing for the mBox and trying to port to the PS1). The PC is not constricted by tech level and thus can port with non-handheld platforms of any tech level.

You also have to pay an additional 50% of the cost of the base game make a port.

When you make a game with a port, the first three phases of development goes as normal, with absolutely no changes to the way it is done now. After you finish the game, you enter the bug fixing stage as normal. However, the “finish” button will be replaced with a “port” button. Once you click that, you enter a 4th stage of development, which is equal in length to one of the previous three.

This stage would have only one focus “Porting” and thus not need a slider. The “Porting” focus would still require you to assign a team member to it. Team members who were in charge of previous game aspects would still have their % used up. In essence, you would need an extra employee to be your porting guy. (So a medium game would require 4 people to do properly if you included a port).

The porting stage is unique as it does NOT add any more points to design or tech. Rather, it acts like creating an engine. A target number is calculated. This number starts as the sum of the design + tech from the base game, and is reduced by the tech skill of the person in charge of porting. (The higher the skill, the bigger the reduction). The phase then begins as if the team were creating an engine…with everyone contributing tech points only, and reducing the target number for each point generated. (and a few research points along the way as normal).

The goal is to reduce the port target to 0 before the 4th phase ends. If you manage to do that, you’ve created a 100% faithful port to your original, that looks and plays just as good as it does on the primary platform.

If there are any points left over when the phase ends, the port was less than faithful and inferior to the original platform. You do not have the option to just extend the 4th phase longer, so delaying the final release will not cause any leftover port points to be worked on.

The benefit to a port is that it expands your potential market share. Your new game’s platform market becomes (Primary Platform’s Current Market Share) + (Secondary Platform’s market share * Quality of the Port). The appropriateness of the genre/target age of each platform will factor into that platform’s sales. (So if you have a mature PC game and port it to the Super nintendo, you won’t get nearly as many extra sales from the Super Nintendo’s port)

If you do particularly poorly on a port, the review score for the entire game will receive a penalty, with reviewers calling you out for “Should have made this an exclusive” or “They shouldn’t have bothered bringing it to the (platform) it’s junk there”

Even after you research porting, you always have the option to make your game for just one platform if you don’t want to risk a bad port, or take the extra time and money needed (such as when you are chasing a trend).

3 Likes

Love this idea 1000000000000000000000%

Okay here’s some of of my ideas for a sequel or updates (sorry for my terrible english, hope you don’t mind)

• Adding a company logo and the ability to customize it
  • Having a mascot for a game and if your fans like the game, they would definitely like the mascot too. When they like the mascot, they cosplay it, they make artwork of it and other things fans in real life does. The mascots appear in the convention also.
  • Customizing the office, the booth in the convention that improves how the employees work and how slow the bar decreases beside them and how more fans will attend the convention
  • More random events
  • More options while making a game, like the setting of the game and the mood of the game etc.
  • More research options
  • Customizing how the game disc and the case looks
  • Rival companies that create their own games and competes with you. To make it more fun, you both start inside a garage and the rival company will go to other stages too.
  • And lastly, how about some ingame settings like lowering the quality to have more fps

Thanks for reading and I apologize for my poor english… Love the game, keep it up Greenheart Games :smiley:

Very good ideas, some of them could work such as More Options while making games for example, but ones such as customizing game covers could potentially work, but you wouldn’t have to go that detailed into a game.

Tool tips. Especially in the training menu. Its incredibly annoying if you haven’t had a good fiddle with the game and you’re trying to train your staff and you have to take a haphazard guess at what training will do what. Outside of training tool tips could pretty much be useful all over the game to provide more general information about an option.

yeah this goes hand in hand with the ‘we need more analytics’ suggestion. I still don’t know what training options will improve what skills, I have to just ‘guess’ and it’s frustrating. Also I don’t quite know the ratio of tech/design for each slider, what each slider focuses more on, etc. anyway, yes, more analytics.

2 Likes

Hello Greenheart Games,

I’m a huge fan of your game called “Game Dev Tycoon” and I wanted to suggest some ideas in the game. Because I liked to see some improvements into the game and updates.

The ideas are:

-Company Logo

-Console sequels

-Multi-Genre

-Update The Consoles

1.The Company Logo
-The company logo shows your trademark in the game. as usual, many game companies have logos.

2.Console sequels
-The Console sequels are just like the game sequels but in lists. I know it’s already created but please, Update them and make them nice.

3.Multi-Topics
The Multi-Topics it’s just like the genre but it’s Topics. this lets you choose if the game has two topics.
exmaple:

Name: Zombie outbreak
Topic: Military/Apocalyptic-post
Genre: Action/Simulation

4.Update the consoles
This idea adds all the new consoles in our era.
example:

3DS, Xbox one, Ouya, PSvita, Iphone5

I hope you liked it! I have a lot of suggestion to add but it’s too long. and also you can reply if you liked it!
and also I hope apply this in the next updates or DLC. and also don’t stop this nice game.

your fan, Momo_Mccloud 

anyone approves about my ideas?

Some good ideas, but some have been suggested numerous times. Head over to:

http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/if-you-could-change-improve-add-one-thing-in-game-dev-tycoon-what-would-it-be/

And post in a reply all of your ideas, because thats where the developers majority check as its easy to read one thread instead of 100. You get feedback from other users to such as me, but yeah, for now, not much to say regarding these.