Game Dev Tycoon General Feedback & Suggestions Rolling Thread 1

Below is a list of a few new and a few enhanced features i think would be a fun addition to this already AMAZING game!
Keep up the great work Greenheart!!

1.  **Change the entire game UI/Theme** and maybe functionality according to the in-game timeline or technologies researched.

Example: Allow to save a game in real life only after researched in the game.
Example: Start the UI/Theme of the game with 8bit graphics and 8bit sounds and per timeline progress change to better graphics and sound in real life.
2. Competing gaming companies ā€“ insert real milestones and games from real historical companies (and new invented ones) which cause a genre hype or cause less/more earnings for the playerā€™s games in the same category. ā€“ Compete with the player
3. Monthly magazine reports ā€“ show a nice UI from a gaming magazine with the top gaming companies; the Top Releases; the top cash earners; the worst gamesā€¦etc.
4. Easter eggs ā€“ a certain combination of game parameters from a real world game that will cause a game to hit the jackpot.
Example: if a game is called Civilization, released around the real game release timeframe, with the same platform/genre ā€“ would cause significant hype and earnings
5. Allowing different developers to work independently on different games
6. Showing a developerā€™s values per knowledge area (design, speed, research etc.) ā€“ When clicked on the developer for actions, also display the proficiency stats so the player can make an educated decision who to fire for example. ā€“ currently this is shown only during training or via a sub menu under Staff.
7. Add new roles to the team ā€“
UI = affects increase/decrease in design/graphics/UX ;
Project = affects increase/decrease in timelines/budget;
Product = affects increase/decrease in design, components & features;
QA = affects increase/decrease in quality/bugs/stability/support

1. Different development methodologies can be researched and used to improve quality, time to market and other areas ā€“ Waterfall, Scrum , Agile, Kanban, Crowdsourcing/funding/ Outsource
  2. The ability to port a game to multiple platforms ā€“ after researching this it would require an addition of time/budget to port the game to additional platforms.
  3. Auto generate Game name button (just in case I donā€™t feel like making them up anymore) ā€“ this can cause some hilarious reactions and memories!
  4. In game Virtual money or DLC or retro archived games to create additional income based on small royalties
2 Likes

Great ideas, especially independently make games.

Great ideas, especially number 9. :smiley:

I hope they read this thread because the ideas here are really goodā€¦ and also add to The realismā€¦

id love to see new roles, and more milestonesā€¦thats what keeps me playing

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :smile:

I hope thereā€™s option to buy licenses of Game Engines from the company that create Game Engines :smile:

(Dull title, sorry :stuck_out_tongue: )

Two ideas that popped into my headā€¦

1. Allow a game to be developed for more than one platform at a time.
    The development cost would be more than developing for each console individually i.e. developing a game for PC and G64 might cost 50k.
    This extra amount of money could be for porting to another console or the extra labour for developing two pieces of code at the same time.
    Porting would be cheaper but would produce an inferior copy, whereas developing two pieces of code at the same time would take longer and cost more, but the two pieces of code should be as good as each other, also allowing you to edit the code slightly to take advantage of the increased graphical power of one console or the motion controls of anotherā€¦ (anyone want to expand on what the extra money could be for?)

2. Allowing your company to sign deals with hardware makers to develop games for their consoles (like Game Freak for Nintendo). The deals could be based over a few years and the deals could force you to develop for the company who contracted you only or you could still be free to develop for other consoles, depending on what was in the contract you signed.

Thoughts?

Atleast the part with Multi-console releases is a great idea. I support this.

Great ideas but to improve on your second idea, I think that asking other companies to make a console for you could work. Or you can share development on games.

Reading what Brandon in his 4th suggestion has to say in this post Many new Unique and Interesting Ideas is sort of what i was trying to say with my second idea, but i think his idea would be a lot more interesting to play with

Hey guys, here are some ideas I thought would be very nice to have in game. First off, expand the story as much as possible. More buildings, more employees, let us go global. Give feed back, Iā€™d love to hear!

###1 Multiplayer. Play with, and against friends. Create lobbies, set parameters, and select modes:
-Versus 1v1(Standard death match.)
-Teams 2+v2+(2+ players per team)
-Cooperative mode(Everyone vs the NPC, difficulty increases with number of players.)

###2 Modes. Let me pick which mode I play in.
-Story Mode (default game, single player)
-Big Business Mode (Start farther ahead in the game, 1 million dollars, however the NPC is more advanced.)
-Time Crunch(Sped up x2, x5, x10)
-Marathon(Slowed x2, x5, x10)

###3 Chapter Select, where in the game you start. (Success not guaranteed)
-Chapter 1: Garage
-Chapter 2: Office
-Chapter 3: Building Complex
-Chapter 4: Corporate Office
-Chapter 5: Enterprise

###4 Partnerships & Reputations
-Allow you to attempt to team up with another company (NPC)
-Your reputation is based on success, ie fans, money, game history
-You may attempt to reach out to a company, and they may reach out to you.

• Discounts/Free when using their console
    -You both win/suffer together
    -Using other consoles lowers your reputation
    -If your partner fails you may fail too, so pick wisely
    -Declining/Accepting certain partnerships will earn you friends and enemies

###5 Employee levels
-Add managers to help contain other employees
-Add CTO, CFO, etc. All cost money but can advise you very well.
-Board of directors, etc. All help you expand, and manage.

###6 Pay random people to test games, get better feed back before releasing a game.
-Let people tell you what theyā€™re feeling
-More response from the media

###7 Start a foundation for gaming
-Upon reaching high success you can create a gaming union, somewhat like G3 but youā€™re in control.
-Bring in large revenue, attract fans, help develop new games.

###8 Next gen gaming
-Go to futuristic technologies, expand much more than before on your own console

###9 More customization in game making
-New bars to adjust:
-1: Game length/playtime
-2:Difficulty/Skill needed
-3:Previous knowledge of other games needed
-4:Hardcore investment in playing

###10 Fees/Misc
-Monthly fee or not
-Major DLCs
-Backwards compatability
-Pay to Win

1. Why would you bother adding Multiplayer to a game where it got developed on a software that I can doubt run a multiplayer server.

2. That would be a great addition, would add few more days playability to the game.

3. Could be nice, but in my opinion, thats already there.

4. This would be very good, but instead of teaming up at the start of your career, wait until level two and then you can have those options, that would be really nice.

5. This would be a great idea, this would let the realistic side of the game flourish, brilliant.

• Not really much else to say, but all these besides #1 is brilliant ideas.

One thing that has continually popped into my head every time I got to a new generation of consoles was that itā€™d be cool if I could start in that era. Currently the game starts somewhere in an era equivalent to the 1980s, simulating the life of companies like Electronic Arts and Ubisoft (if you donā€™t go bankrupt).

What Iā€™d like to see is the ability to start in different decades, so that one can become a company like id Software in the 90s or an indie game developer in the 00s or 10s. This would allow the basic gameplay (making small games, limited genres, etc.) to take place in a completely new landscape and thus make the game feel like new again.

1 Like

thought i would have seen the sega Saturn or sega cd in the system line up but that got me thinking how about your games could be a success on a system that it might keep the console going or destroy the other (like create your own history)
plus the story line could be brought back even further like the atari stage or bit later like the sinclear spectrum era with tapes

1 Like

with that in mind, youā€™d probably want the Odyssey or Odyssey 2 systems, Intelevision, Colecovision, and all the other competitors (yes there were more) for Atari.

that would mean you would be starting in the 70ā€™s instead of the 80ā€™s, and text-based games would rule the market for a long while (For the PC anyway). 2-d graphics would be ā€˜inventedā€™ sometime after the 5th year, I suppose?

Well I figure they didnā€™t add the very short-lived systems (like the 32x, virtual boy, turbo grphix 16, tiger electronics, game and watch) for obvious reasons (lasting less than a year, not having a large market share, time constraints on making the game, etc)

1 Like

It would be cool if there was an expansion or new game about Mods that could work with the games you made in Game Dev Tycoon just name it Mod Dev Tycoon or something.

1 Like
  • Advanced Market Research: A player driven research access tool to help startup ā€œdevelopersā€ better understand what their best fail-safe combos are for topic/genre (diminishing returns expected of course); what platform trends are most appealing to the a certain target audience; What percentage of that target audience is actively contributing to the gaming market;
  • Mechanic: Utilize a sliding Budget Expense bar (similar to the head hunting mechanic) with RP factored in at perhaps 1RP/10K invested. This might also tie to the ā€œResearchersā€ ability score. The better the score, the more info they will return for game development consideration.

ā€œEdited 6-5-13ā€: The idea here is to try to help make this game as wiki-free as possible thereby increasing the fun-factor with less hit & miss for the casual gamer market

1 Like

You really need to make this game vastly less arbitrary. There need to be much better indications of what youā€™re doing wrong or right and what choices and courses of action will help or hinder a product.

Right now it seems like every game I launch Iā€™m literally just rolling dice to see if itā€™s a success or failure and thatā€™s not fun.

1 Like

Itā€™s all in the manual (ie. the wiki) so the gameā€™s workings are not a complete mystery, but some of that stuff should definitely be in the game itself. I felt Minecraft suffers from the same problem. Compared to Terraria itā€™s virtually information free. The MC wiki is virtually necessary to even play the game. GDT is better in this regard than MC, but it could definitely be a bit clearer.