Game Dev Tycoon General Feedback & Suggestions Rolling Thread 1

some ideas I think the game could benefit from. adds more realisim, and is a quality of life improvement in some cases

Expansions, DLC, Addons, for preexisting games, an alternative to a sequel, but can be developed after release with no penalty for no innovation/too similar

multi platform releases - because why not

Online MMOs, Free to play games, Subscription based games, etc. Things that have very long service life, real examples being World of Warcraft, Planetside, Diablo, etc.

Thats why I suggest, GHG work on this for another 1.5 years or so, keep a list of suggestions to either update the original game or make for a sequel, things to big for the current game get drotted down into a list that is for the sequel while the smaller features + add-ons get onto another list of things they consider to work on. It makes organizing that much easier.

Aye it needs quite a bit of time spent on game one before you jump off onto game two. There are some very nonsensical things in the game currently, as well as things highlighted above which are usability issues that need addressing before a second game could really be developed as anything other than a money grab. Being able to select making a ā€˜shooter - FPS/Third Personā€™ should be basic requirements of a game dev Tycoon game, currently ā€˜Military - Actionā€™ describes Battlefield/COD. Fantasy RPG can be used for everything from Pokemon to Dragonage to Baldurs Gate!

Other things like the following (to quote myself from another thread)

I put everything I had researched on my console and managed to sell around 7 million or so over four years. Made a good enough profit. The bigger problem I found, was that some of the games I made for it would sell in the 15-25 million copies region, which would require everyone with a console to buy the game several times over, which is absurd.

Things like this are obviously an oversight (games selling more copies than the system itā€™s sold on!) but are fundamental issues that should be resolved.

Edit: Iā€™d also really like to be able to set my own Subscription costs (or even F2P) for MMOā€™s. Also, with sales plummeting and obviously losing players, why the hell do MMOā€™s get more expensive to run? Thatā€™s nonsensical. They should be more expensive to run the more servers are up and the more players you have online. Iā€™d also like to be able to see how much of my MMO income is from subs, how much is from purchases, and how much of my maintenance is spent on servers/customer service etc.

I agree. This game needs a LOT more analytics. Not knowing how tech affects games, not knowing what you did right or wrong, not being able to examine the market, not being able to know what age group (Y, E, M) is most preferred on which platforms (IE game never tells you that only ā€œyoungā€ players play the gameboy).
You never know what certain trainings will improve what skills on your staff, you never know what skills (the design or the tech) are really needed for which slider, you justā€¦ donā€™t know things.

Thereā€™s not enough information to improve while you play. Itā€™s ALWAYS a trial and error system, without the proper analytics. You know, even the demo had more features than the full gameā€¦ disappointing, all things considered.
a desperate patch is needed for this game.

I agree that the game mechanics donā€™t make any sense, for example, I made a RPG/Medieval with ~30Des ~25Tech and no hype, got a 9,75 and made $5.2M, after more or less 4 years I update my engine (with every single research that was unlocked at that time, the engine cost ~550k) and made a sequel for my game, same genre, same topic, same plataform (PC), all the same, got ~100Des and ~90Tech with a hype of ~50 and my final score was 5, lost fans and earnd barely to make a small profit.

There is a lot of things that should be improve. The game is good but this kind of nonsense makes me think if I really should waste my time in this game, since I already played enough to make my money worth

Sorry for the bad english.

Iā€™ve just bought this game and itā€™s worth the price, this is for sure!
However, there is a lot of space for improvements. As said before, the reviews system is practically useless, and the success of a game is calculated in a really weird way.
Iā€™ve intentionally created games distributing randomly more time over things that are less important for the specific genre of the game, and sometimes the game gets 9.75, sometimes it gets 5.
And sometimes I get radically different rating if I make a game twice in two different games.
The point is: this games shows potential (doesnā€™t this remind you something? :slight_smile: but you should improve by making it way less ā€œtrial and errorā€ and much less random.

It is a trial and error systemā€¦you canā€™t expect the game to be perfect only 2-3 months or so after release, its irrelogical.

After release a game is supose to be finished and the only things to do is correct bugs and polish with patchs. ā€œIrrelogicalā€ is release a game that needs major changes on core systems

Iā€™m not saying GDT is a bad game but it was release without much thought and was release as a full version, what we are playing now IMHO is a alpha or maybe a beta.

@Rafael_Monteiro
After release a game is supose to be finished and the only things to do is correct bugs and polish with patchs. ā€œIrrelogicalā€ is release a game that needs major changes on core systems

Iā€™m not saying GDT is a bad game but it was release without much thought and was release as a full version, what we are playing now IMHO is a alpha or maybe a beta.

Agreed. This is a very good first pass, but it currently lacks a little on the re-playability side (you either go bankrupt at stage two or you make billions of profit) and it lacks many basic features that should be in a Tycoon game. As an alpha, itā€™s exceptional. As a beta, itā€™s very good. At Ā£6, itā€™s worth every penny. However, as a full release flagship title, itā€™s sorely lacking many features. There is no reason they canā€™t work at it for another six months to a year and release it fully featured down the line in the Ā£12-Ā£15 price range. Iā€™m hoping that @DanielKlug and @PatrickKlug are reading this forums and really taking all these points into account, rather than just putting them aside for the inevitable sequel. Donā€™t pull a L4D:2 debacle on us.

Our response to this was in our blog post. We are working on improvements for the steam release. Game Dev Tycoon is meant to be a small but fun and engaging game dev simulator; it isnā€™t meant to be a $40 sim game.

@PatrickKlug Our response to this was in our blog post. We are working on improvements for the steam release. Game Dev Tycoon is meant to be a small but fun and engaging game dev simulator; it isnā€™t meant to be a $40 sim game.

Unfortunately your blog tells us nothing that is being worked on, merely that youā€™re doing ā€˜improvementsā€™ for a later release. Stating that this isnā€™t meant to be a $40 sim game is irrelevant, if youā€™re making a simulator it should simulate the subject. Being unable to choose basic things like Sports > Football/Cricket/Etc. or Racing > Rally/F1 etc. isnā€™t ā€˜small but funā€™, itā€™s missing out a huge amount of actual simulation.

Your response has actually made me moderately disappointed in my purchase. I bought this with the understanding it was a sim game, released early to be worked on and substantially expanded over time. I didnā€™t realise what we got was much the finished article, and Iā€™m shocked and surprised that any game designer would be satisfied calling what you have currently released being called either a Simulation or a Tycoon game. This has so much potential.

This is fine as a Beta, it is far from being anywhere near sufficiently finished.

I donā€™t know how you got the impression that this was a alpha/beta release. Nowhere have we ever said that this is anything but a complete game and Iā€™m glad that I can adjust your expectations on this.

This isnā€™t early access or a kickstarter or anything like that. From the feedback we can see that there are some issues and we will polish a bit more and there are some great ideas that are easy to add but thatā€™s very different from saying that we will substantially expand it. Donā€™t get me wrong, there are many great ideas for what could go into a sequel here and obviously the game idea itself has lots of potential but we never stated or promised that we will develop the game for much longer.

To your specific suggestion, I donā€™t know how much it would add if we subdivided Sports and Racing games further. You can always call your game a Cricket game but I donā€™t see how a cricket game would be treated differently from a football game, except maybe when it comes to the repeat-topic penalty.

1 Like

Patrick is correct, like I sid, you canā€™t expect it to have everything at firstā€¦When the Steam Release comes out, it will have a much more polished/balenced/bug fixed game then it is now, and more features and improvements would be added, of course. See, if they wanted to, they could release the game on Steam now at $7 and just work on it and leave it as it isā€¦but, it would be better to wait and give a later time date so they can work on the game and give it to the ā€œBeta Testersā€ before the actual game comes out so they know if the patch worked or didnā€™t.

I am pretty sure that they will release a GDT2, but for now, the main focus is responding to the community, fixing the game and adding to the game is what I predict. You canā€™t release a feature that would take plenty of time and be to big for your game as it would cause damage to other aspects of the game. I am very sure that small features, or things that wouldnā€™t ā€œchangeā€ the game so much would be added, but the bigger ones like I just explained, why not leave it for a sequel so it gets some hype for it?

And Chrisā€¦GHG has only two developers that are brothers, they arenā€™t on all the time, so you canā€™t expect them to answer every question every second of the day. Patience which some people donā€™t have.

I never said about more content, I said that the game is completely luck based and the score system, that is the must important thing what makes you earn money to advance, is unbalanced and doesnt make any sense.

Yes it is luck based on some levelsā€¦as you make a good game, you are just wondering if you got enough tech/design points to get a high review, its weird.

With that being said Patrick, I think itā€™s in the games best interest for some innovation. Iā€™m not sure if your trying to stifle expectations for the Steam release but the point of this topic as Iā€™m sure you understand is that there is a massive amount of potential with what you have here. This isnā€™t more of a suggestion, than an outcry to continue to innovate this game with not only bug fixes, but new game play mechanics that can further enhance our experience. That being said, Iā€™m (and weā€™re) not asking for a fully fledged revamp of the current model.

Now having said that, I think the expectation coming into this game is increased. Tycoon brings back memories of popular games like Roller Coaster Tycoon and SimCity, which are both in their own regards fairly sophisticated simulation games. This one plays as more of a arcade style sim, not based on hard data but rather, shall I say intuition? I hope you understand that a lot of the people here, although they enjoy the game for what it is, long for a better experience.

Since I am here as well, Iā€™m going to throw a couple points I have gathered after playing the game for a few hours.

1. In the game development stage, using older engines with out of date technology, especially compared to your newer engines should reduce your game creation costs. Iā€™ll paraphrase what the OP said in that, on the same token, new standards should drive down the price of older technologies when creating the engines.
  2. In the game history, you tally up new games fairly quickly once your business becomes profitable. There should be some way of organizing your games by profit, date released or average score as some examples. This is more of a efficiency improvement for the game, so when you decide to create sequels you donā€™t have to go searching through your games.
  3. Multi-platforming. It is everywhere in todayā€™s society. Heck, even this game is multi-platformed. In the game, we should not be limited to just one platform, but a variety. In contrast, game development speed, the amount of bugs and overall cost of the development would increase while driving up sales and fans.

Though, I am still really enjoying the game. Kudos!

2 Likes

You have to remember, that when designing this game, the guys didnt know if this was going to be the success it is or whether it would just go un-noticed and seen by just a few.

You have to put yourself in the position they were inā€¦
If you started to make a game when being virtually unknown, would you plough all your time and effort (not to mention money) into the game you was making, if you knew there was a great chance that it could totally bomb and mean not only did you waste all the hours you spent on it, but also wasted lots of your own money while doing it?

Also, you have to remember that having spent so much time making the game, you inadvertently start to look at the game differently to how someone like me and you would, who havent seen the game before and therefore you are blinded to the things that need tweaking and its only upon releasing it to the mass public, are these things highlighted to you.

We all know there are things that could be done better in the game, Patrick and his brother know there are things that could be done better and im sure, within time, these things will be addressed, but until then, i can only speak for myself when i say this, but iā€™d much rather have the game weā€™ve got now to play on, until the problems are fixed, than not have the game at all to play onā€¦period.

2 Likes
  1. I would love to see a better review feedback system. Maybe add multiple numbers for like design, and tech? Kinda like they put irl for graphics, gameplay, ect.

2. There seriously need to be a way to tweek engines. I hate having to push out another game just because I canā€™t afford mouse support. (Small example.) Deleting out of date engines might be a good thing, but make it an optional thing. I may make 2 engines 1 for small/med games for an Ipad/DS and another for AAA/MMOs for my personal console.

3. Game Dev Story already did this, though they kinda went whacky with some of the options. I would love to see things like shooter genre, and the likes.

4. I think the research needs to kinda be overhauled. Seeing 3D availible and cheaper then 2D V4 during the days of the SNES is kinda silly.

5. I could somewhat agree with this, but if you take your time and watch what raises the most after choosing it you get wise on what to do. Not only that but read the names, they give very good hints on what does what.

2 Likes
  1. Sabotage other companies
  2. Weather related events(office gets flooded)
  3. Power Outage Event

You should add more details , Just those arent enough.