Game Dev Tycoon General Feedback & Suggestions Rolling Thread 1

I think you should try racing games or simulation games on the GRPhone as thats what its usually made for.

Hey,

I would like to see the following in the game:

1. Publisher approach you for game making if the last game you made for them was a success like a sequel or something. You get a bigger cut of the sales and donā€™t have to front any money.
  2. The worry that a publisher could cancel a game mid creation, they would pay compensation but not as much as you have spent, I think that this would make it more realistic
  3. The ability to create an MMO that you have to maintain but get income from subscriptions (you can also update the game to keep people interested)
  4. You can create your own download service (like steam) which games companies can approach you to use and is another source of income.
  5. The ability to lease games engines put you pay monthly and its a high premium.
  6. The ability to outsource a percentage of the game dev if you have too much on like a sliding bar that allows you to farm out a percentage but at a cost.

Just some ideas that I had :smiley:

Stelly

1 Like
  1. If you were a self-publisher, and yes, that option would be and should be added, you could negotiate the deals into three different aspects, how much you want to give them to hype up, royalties, etc. etc.

2. I personally think that Updates/Patches should have a more prominent role into the game, how isnā€™t there a game with hardly any patches?

Good ideas you come up with.

Thanks for Sniper for taking an interest in my thread.

I was also thinking about having a build server so instead of it just going up into the top bar it would do into the build server and at the end the server would build a release version of the code. This server you could buy backups for as sometimes it can fail and if you donā€™t have a backup you could lose all your work and you could also have a stand by which you could fall over too if something happened to the main one :smile:

Stelly

1 Like

3, 4, and 5 are already there but 5 requires no cost.

I think there are major things that this game desperately requires in order to really be a ā€˜tycoonā€™ or ā€˜simā€™ game;

1: Proper review feedback: Each review score should give you a small bar chart with each factor given a score out of ten so you can see where you need to improve in future. For example, Graphics, Sound, AI, Dialogue, Design. Each one is given a X/10 score which corresponds to your total overall score. The review system also needs taming somewhat, making a game that gets 10,10,10,9 and then getting 2,2,3,2 for exactly the same game (with some slight tweaks such as an extra level up of sound design) should not happen. Look at the COD/Battlefield/Pokemon/FIFA/Madden series, each game is nigh on a carbon copy of the former and yet people lap them up year on year, with there usually only being a small amount of iteration between releases unless there is a major engine change. Expecting an engine overhaul every year between series is incredibly unrealistic.

2: Engine creation enhancements: When creating new game engines, I found no way to either

• Compare new engines to existing engines.
  • Upgrade existing engines.
  • Delete out of date engines.

These are all important for keeping progress easily chartable. For example, RTS engine one and RTS engine two might only be different between a couple of factors such as new sound systems or adding advanced cutscenes over basic cutscenes, unless you want to seriously upgrade the graphics engine, why can we not just ā€˜upgradeā€™ an engine to include some new design features. Similar to how the Fifa/Madden engines evolve, they donā€™t rebuild the entire engine from scratch every year! They iterate over several years.

3: More specific genre options: When creating a sport game for example, I should be able to choose the sport Iā€™m making! Football, Rugby, Cricket, Golf, American Football, Hockey, Basketball etc. Each sub genre should have different fan sizes (Madden games always outsell Golf games for example) as well as have preferred platforms (Sport Simulation like Football Manager should do better on PC compared to Xbox for example).

This should apply to all genres, like being able to choose Action - Third Person Shooter/Platformer/Fighter or Strategy - RTS/TBS/God Game etc. The genres are very vague at the moment.

4: Research needs speeding up in the early game as well as elongating in the late game. Early research should deteriorate in cost over time. Researching 2D graphics version 3 should not still cost thousands and 80RP whtne the Xbox 360 is about to be launched.

5: It would be good if the training told you what you were training more specifically.

The game is a very good first release and Iā€™m happy to have bought it, but it needs work to truely become a classic Sim/Dev/Tycoon game.

2 Likes

Oh, two things I forgot.

6: Can gaming peripherals make sense? Steering Wheels should make sod all difference to an RPG but give extra bonus points to Racing games. Joystick for Space or Flight sims, etc. Having access to Gamepad technology shouldnā€™t increase the score for my 2d management sim ā€œFungeon Keeper!ā€ on PC.

7: Any chance we could actually get a Date instead of just Y:M:D?

1 Like

Agree with this , Valve only have Source as its own single game engine for decades
they simply upgrade it for every game released

3 Likes

Agree with this , Valve only have Source as its own single game engine for decades
they simply upgrade it for every game released

Indeed, people always seem to forget, but the underlying engine of L4D:2 and HL:2 are the same, just iterated upon over the course of the last ten years.

Iā€™m also a bit astonished that the game seems to think Racing games with a focus on Engine and Gameplay have the wrong focus in game? Reviewers said ā€œThe focus on Engine is puzzlingā€ or something to that effect. Seriously? Not enough Dialogue and Questing in my casual racing gameā€¦

Iā€™m also puzzled, people often say donā€™t do your own publishing at stage 2 until you have 100k fans. Butā€¦ every publishing deal I do the game flops with scores of 2-4. Self published titles reliably sitting on 6-8 with a 8-10 every four games or so. Bug perhaps?

Publisher often demand stupid combo
only do it if the combo suit your staff/slider

or anytopic/any genre/any console deal come up

The Racing Sim game example I posted was a any topic/any genre publisher deal. Doesnā€™t matter what I do (even copying my 9+ multi-million pound successful games anything published flops hard).

I also think they should implement a DLC/Expansion upgrades, would help with the sheer amount of games created in this. 50+ games after 30 years is a massive amount, especially as Iā€™m reliably making multi-million pound profits within my first ten games made. No big game dev pushes out that amount of releases, even the ones with multiple studios usually struggle to hit more than a game a year.

Some of this is actually referenced in their blog post from the 23rd. You should have a look:

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/05/23/game-dev-tycoon-steam-greenlight-and-responding-to-feedback/

Similarly, the things that I get rewarded for should take the genre/type combo into account better. For example, at one point I made a Simulation Law game and put a lot of focus on Dialogues, figuring that a simulation about lawyering would have to be pretty heavy on dialogues. But it turns out that Dialogue is always a disfavored area in a Simulation game.

I admit, this game I have bought for a week now and I completely enjoy it, but this game doesnā€™t get boring but it has a lack of content from Yr1 - Yr 30, this game needs a lot more things and listening to the communities feedback can help them with this and include them in future updates, and DLCs because I wouldnā€™t mind rebuying this game because you guys are amazing!

torchkc: Some of this is actually referenced in their blog post from the 23rd. You should have a look:

I have read that blog post, while they touch on a few vague points, they donā€™t actually outline anything. ā€˜Better feedbackā€™ could mean any number of different tweaks in the current game that gives you next to no feedback at all. This thread is a list of specific suggestions that would improve this game tenfold and make it into a classical ā€˜tycoonā€™ game that it is named for. Mechanically the game works well, clearing up a few oversights on the design front will make this into a classic little gem.

One more for the list - why do I need my own R&D department some 25 years or so into my career in order to license game engines? id and Epic have been doing this with the id engine since their first shareware game Commander Keen engine in 1991, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Software#Technology) as did Epic with the Unreal engine sine 1998 )http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_engine), which arguably is the most used series of ready made engines ever. Indeed, Epic make more money from licensing their engine than they ever had by developing their own games.

Iā€™ll be extremely disappointed if they leave the game much as is as they suggested in the blog post, a sequel is not the place for many of these improvements, any tycoon game should have many of these in the base design. Currently this game is ā€˜Theme Game Devā€™ rather than Tycoon.

1 Like

No Doubtā€¦once they fix the bugs, they have the freedom to listen to anyone on these forums and make the game the best it can be. It just needs more publicity.

Indeed, itā€™s an amazing achievement so far that I could never hope to match (I design board games, I could design a game, but actually making one the coding makes my head spin!) and I love the fact that they have made a game in a genre that I love so much and is generally ignored by larger developers. Between this and Prison Architect itā€™s a good year to be a fan of indie Tycoon games. Generally the devs are interacting quite well on these forums, but really Iā€™d like to see them lay down a definite plan of ā€œthis is what weā€™re planning to addā€. Iā€™d hate to see them take the money from this, throw out one patch in August, then put all of these changes into a sequel rather than patching the original game. I wouldnā€™t buy a sequel made that way, as Iā€™m sure many others wouldnā€™t either.

While currently good, this game has such potential to be great. To the devs, Iā€™d say remember the fuss that kicked up from L4D:2 coming out a year after L4D with very minimal changes.

Yes agreed, I am surprised they got so much publicity but they really deserve it, now they just need to back that up. They have released a plan for the next three months, patching the game and making a huge patch that fixes all the bugs, and after that is released, Iā€™m sure they would tell us they are planning to do more bug fixes they missed, and add the features that they canā€™t do now. If they canā€™t implement more features into this game, then put it on a list and save it for Game Dev Tycoon 2, but for the next 1.5 yrs, I hope they focus on this game. Things are going well for them.

You have to keep in mindā€¦ Many of the features that could ā€œimproveā€ this game would require huge rewrites to the game and itā€™s mechanics. At a certain point, implementing such changes would effectively turn it into an entirely new game anyway. So I feel it best that they work out the bugs with this one, as theyā€™re doing, work on the balance issues and maybe add an extra feature or two, then put their full effort into a follow-up or sequel; if their pricing is comparable to this one, Iā€™d have no issues investing in it. I would personally like to see a sequel come sooner rather than later, but Iā€™m also intrigued to see what other ideas GHG has in the pipeline.

While I can appreciate it would be a lot of effort, honestly, many of these points really should have been in a ā€˜Tycoonā€™ styled game before release.