Game Dev Tycoon General Feedback & Suggestions Rolling Thread 1

the name does affect the ratings it seems. I forgot to name some games and also got the “dull name” ratings. Also, I made a Game dev Simulator called “Game dev tycoon” and got an achievement “Making the game within the game”.

I tried that and the achievement wasn’t popping for me, sadly.

There is also an achievement for making a Hospital Simulation called “Theme Hospital”

I got a responce saying something along the line of "it’s better than the name"
the last button that says releace to the right of that should be a button that says rename

1 Like

I would really love if something coud be done about naming games/engines. Promt, ability to rename while in-dev, or maybe even placing Game Name field after theme/genre/etc buttons (I usually pick those first and then name my game afterwards. That is I forget to name it afterwards). I haven’t played much, but that “Oh, shi-” everytime I irreversibly forget to name something kinda breaks the immersion.

1 Like

Game Dev Tycoon used to be a front page game on Twitch.Tv because it was a novel concept. Now that people have put in the hours to beat the game, the end game content is limited. I still enjoy it but the amount of hours I put in the game has drastically declined.

I understand that fans can’t expect new things to happen every month after release.

I’m probably in that 99th percentile in terms of cash flow and understanding of what continues to produce cash.

I currently have $10,680,321,677,372,960M in cash. At least I refreshed my memory of what comes after a billion!

I would love to be able to put this cash into use. Perhaps a roll-over to new content? Would simplistic marketing plans to encourage continuous gameplay be feasible? For example, top 5 players to have cash by x date will receive y prize (could be anything from new skins to a simple email from the developers saying “congrats”).

I’ve gone through two playthroughs thus far and have “beaten” the game. I could, of course, make MMOs for day and have the amount of cash as you do, but I don’t think doing the same thing over and over again is that much fun.

Personally, I’d like to see the thirty years extended.

When you start a new game you can click the gear icon next to where it says Company Name and it gives you the option to set the Game Length to either 25, 30 or 35 years.

u have 10 Quadrillions :slight_smile:

I’m going to have to agree w/ Slaid in the fact that having that amount of cash isn’t hard if you know what to do, so there is no real point to add more content once you’re that far. I on the other hand don’t find it boring at all:

I have so much cash you can’t even see the M for million anymore: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/Vegeto888/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/CantBreakIt.png

LOL that’s some serious cash. Well done guys. How do you get so much? Do the settings you choose in each step of game design matter that much? or is the reviews purely random and the sales random as well? I finished the game once so far, and numerous other saves, and the finished game only got me around 100million. I’m addicted to this game but it’s annoying coz I can’t seem to do any good most times.

I’m at this part myself, have around 4 billion in cash, would love to be able to do something or make the game pass slower and use the money before the years are up.

The basic formula for generating insane amounts of cash:

Get to the point where you can create the best console with the latest technology
Research everything to create MMO’s
Utilize trends to your advantage
Upgrade everyone to full speed boosts and continuously upgrade their abilities (and speed) to get specializations
Create your own events for maximum effect since it comes every June
Full scale marketing when making a game/expansion

Action Fantasy MMO’s are tried and true. There are a few other great combinations too. Just rotate 3 to 4 MMO’s and when conventions come around, you’ll see a spike in each game regardless how bad/good it is.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Its the successful MMO exention that breaks it, you can keep releasing content updates for more fans, who buy more copies of the game then custom consoles sold. I kind hope they don’t patch it, its kinda hilarious reeling in the mega buck, a satisfying end to go back and start again.

It’s funny you got 2 trillion fans over a game :\

I really don’t get why you get that much off MMO’s. I’ve only mad about 2 MMO’s and made 20 billion of it. while you get trillions. Is there a step by step video or tutorial to make a good MMO game which makes trillions? If so contact me.

Hey everyone,

It is pretty weird to see the numbers in this screenshot

My MMO has been sold over 205 billion times.
So what you say? This means every single person on earth would have purchased my MMO roughly 205.000.000.000 / 7.000.000.000 = 29 times.
Every single person on earth owns 29copies of my MMO… Doesn’t really seem legit.

We aren’t even calculating the fact that the console it was made on has only been sold 9.2m times.
That means that, if everybody possessin my console, owns more than 22k copies of my MMO…

You could say “everybody just buys the expansion packs you’re making” but obviously I haven’t made 22k expansion pack. :page_facing_up:

I reckon a limit to the sales & a more logical ratio should be set, which will also give you a reason to actually eventually take your precious MMO off the market… They’re VERY OP after all.

Tijs

Hey, we are aware of this but thanks for your input!

I have one related to the ‘target audience’ mechanic.
Rename “Young” to “Everyone” and “Everyone” To “Teen” to reflect the intended ESRB ratings.
For games made prior to researching the target audience mechanic, they could be labeled as “N/R - Not Rated” in your game history. If you make a sequel to them, you would be free to choose the rating.

“Young” makes it sound like it is an early childhood/preschooler game, when in reality, it is referring to games like Mario Kart (which are rated E for everyone). Slightly edgier, but still mainstream games would make more sense to be called Teen. Genres like Law, Military and Romance being bad for younger players makes sense, since it would probably require a teenager to handle the subject matter properly, yet the game calls it “Everyone”.

Mature is properly named and themed.

In either case, don’t alter the actual mechanics, just the names. I think the Topics, game systems and their target audience preferences are very well laid out to reflect RL. Making the age mechanic reflect the wording of the ESRB would add additional connection to the real world gaming industry.

Heck you could even have a random event related to this. "Sir, when we set out to develop game we were aiming to have a Teen rating…but the ESRB reviewed our title and found some questionable material and want to give it a Mature rating instead! What do we do?

1. Rework the game to remove the questionable material (Costs money and delays the game)
  2. Leave the game as is and accept the ESRB’s new rating. (Changes the game’s rating)
Sometimes I forget to rename my games before production (and my engines, too). So I think you guys should change it to where after you choose all the stuff for your game (topic, genre, platform, etc.) THEN you choose the name for you game/engine.  Also, in like the middle of the game development, it should ask you if you want to market it instead of forgetting about it until the end of production.
Another idea is to increase sales at certain times of the year (i.e. Christmas sales), and you should be able to bundle games with the release of a console or just to make a bundle at random to spike the sales of a console/game.

You should also be able to run your own publishing company (other than Grid) and publish game not only for you, but for other companies.
Also, at G3, there should be an awards ceremony for the best games and companies of the year.

1 Like