French translation

I would say there is a lot of difference between what Canadian say and what French say. I’m a Belgian living in Montréal right now, I’ve been enough in contact with the Québécois and other French in my travels to hear clearly the difference … and read it. And I can also add in Belgium we keep even more English words than in France. All to say, finding a neutral “French” won’t be easy (and that why usually you have French/France and a French/Canada translation).

I’m willing to help the translation I use the same username on the translation system.

Bonjour, je m’appelle Charles-Antoine. Je suis un étudiant à Appleby College en Ontario, mais je suis née au Québec, proche de Montréal. Donc ma langue maternelle est le français. J’aimerais assister a traduire Game Dev Tycoon en français. Mon pseudonyme est Charles sur le site de traduction.

I do agree with Balor though, it would make more sense to have two different “french” translations in the game. I am willing to lead the team to take care of the Canadian French as that is the french that I know.

It can easily be done.

There’s always words that are recognized everywhere.

I saw some French word in the translation submissions that are only used in X Country. But not in the others.

People just need to do a proper translation and without using any “too much local” words.

I don’t care if you come from France and that you are good in your French if you don’t know the French from others country. You don’t need to understand only the French language but you need to understand it INTERNATIONALLY and all the differences that it can have and you need to be able to reconize if X word is too local.

Ever tried Sang-Froid Tales of Werewolves? I had a friend from France who told me “WTF is this translation, i hardly understand”.
Well you now understand using too much local words is bad when it’s used in translation.
No wonder why i always use English in my games, because French Translation are too much made for France and it’s really annoying.

For every words, there’s a way to tell it in a neutral way.

If you can’t translate a word in a neutral way, you aren’t qualified to translate it, as you need to know the differences and being able to translate accordingly to.

Bonjour, je m’appelle Hugo (s0r00t), je suis un jeune traducteur ayant un peu d’expérience (Wiki de TF2, Wiki d’OpenTTD) et je suis un grand fan des jeux de simulation. Ma langue maternelle est le français. J’aimerais participer à la traduction car j’ai des amis intéressés par le jeu, mais qui ne comprennent rien à l’anglais.
Mon pseudo est s0r00t sur le service de traduction.

I agree with @Balor and @charles, separating the French/France and French/Canada versions needs to be done at some point in the future.

For sure, a lot of words and sentences will be similar but a significant number of them will be different and should be localized differently. That why it should be done at the end to minimize the work to localize in French-CA.

2 Likes

Question for the rest: What do you think about words like “Game Art”, “Game Over”?
From my experience we always used the english words even when we were young and I would feel weird reading it in French in a game.

I remember that it was especially strange to read french articles in newspapers about “Jeux de rôle en ligne massivement multijoueurs” instead of MMORPG and that it really seemed to differentiate those who were part of the gaming community from the rest of the population.

As this game is cleary oriented for the gaming community, I think we should try to keep this in mind when translating.

Do we have some news from @Toxicat because if I’m right he’s the moderator and the translation reviewer.
Meaning, without him, we don’t “really” translate, we just suggest translations.

@PatrickKlug could you add another moderator for the translation ?

Hi, I just saw your last post. I assume @Toxicat is not available? I don’t have the time at the moment to appoint a new moderator (so, sorry) but if you could agree on someone (nominate them) and @Toxicat does not respond by tomorrow I will see that I can make the nominee a moderator on translate.

Sorry for the delay but we have just been flat you answering emails and trying to identify bugs.

I would suggest @Evanescence as a moderator, if s/he have the time for that.

For game over I agree, it’s very difficult to translate other than keeping the same… especially it’s in the gaming culture.
For Game Art, I would need the context to give a possible translation.

Clearly we need to keep MMORPG (or MMO) because if we take the french abbreviation : JdReLMM … I doubt people will understand what they “develop”.

Hey. I’m a French (native) translator too, and I have had extensive experience in the videogame industry, and the project seems fun enough. I could lend a hand either proofreading or translating.

@PatrickKlug : I’m interested to do the moderator post for the translation, and as you maybe saw, most of the string have already minimum 1-2 translation. Meaning it should be fast.

Yes, most of the strings have at least one suggestion, and as nearly nothing is accepted, it is difficult to find the ones without suggestions.

I vote for @Balor as a moderator, he/she seems to be the most active among us.

I vote for @Balor too, but i think we need two more moderators.

Rebonjour à tous, comme l’a justement souligné @Chico, j’ai terminé très récemment ma piscine. Le rythme étant désormais moins soutenu et plus axé sur des projets étalé dans le temps, je vais revenir progressivement sur la traduction.

Je suis également impressionné par le nombre de personne qui s’interesse à ce projet, cela ne fait que renforcer ma motivation. Si je n’ai pas forcément le temps de traduire activement, je peut en revanche toujours consacrer 2h par soir (voir plus car je reste souvent éveillé tard dans la nuit) pour vérifier le travail de l’équipe.

Ceci étant le besoin d’avoir un second modérateur me semble pressant (ne serait-ce que pour avancer en journée). @Balor semble très intéressé et je ne vois pas d’objection à ce qu’il devienne co-modérateur.

Ah la piscine, j’ai un pote qui en est sorti et faisait récemment son télétravail aux Royaumes Unis.

Enfin passons, pour suivre tes indications @Toxicat , je me présente :
Antoine Aflalo, étudiant de 23 ans en Informatique de Gestion, pour le moment en stage de fin d’année à Montréal. Sinon Belge d’origine. Developpeur Java à mes heures, et Php pour mon stage. (Mais bon, ici ça a pas vraiment d’utilité).

Ce serait avec joie que je t’aiderai à modérer les traductions.

Hello guys,

I discovered the game a few days ago, and the translation group “Steam Greenlight Translators” is curently focused on the translation of GDT so here I am!

Salut tout le monde, je me présente : Fabien, 18 ans, étudiant en anglais à Brest. Je suis français natif et je parle relativement couramment anglais. Je fais partie d’un groupe de traducteurs bénévoles (Steam Greenlight Translators) qui ont pour but d’aider les devs d’indies à traduire leurs jeux.
J’ai commencé à traduire sur la plateforme de traduction ce matin, sans cocher la case “Flou” sous le nom “Fabien Jaffré”.

@79thFabien Essaye de trouver des messages qui n’ont pas encore de suggestions (comme http://translate.greenheartgames.com/projects/game-dev-tycoon/master/fr/translate/?checksum=66c54e60a9b4230224c2d1909572a382) plutot que d’en rajouter une à une liste de 10 suggestions similaires comme http://translate.greenheartgames.com/projects/game-dev-tycoon/master/fr/translate/?checksum=0ba011066a589576daee32a58e9b81cd :wink:

C’est sûr que dans le cas de simple mot, pas besoin de 36 suggestions.

Mais pour les longues phrases ou plusieurs interprétations sont possibles, avoir une autre, ou une correction d’une suggestion est toujours une bonne chose.

En effet excusez ces suggestions répétitives, je découvrais la plateforme de traduction. Sur certaines plateformes (je pense notamment à celle de Twitter quand ils avaient lancé leur opération de traduction bénévole) les traducteurs pouvaient faire un “vote of confidence” sur les traductions pour dire que celle-ci leur convenait plus qu’une autre.
À l’avenir j’éviterai les répétitions au profit de corrections ou de nouvelles traductions :wink:

Bonjour!

Tout comme Fabien, je fais partie du groupe Greenlight Translators. Je vais aussi tenter de trouver les phrases qui n’ont pas encore de suggestion. Existe-t-il un moyen de recherche quelconque pour trouver tout ce qui n’a pas encore de suggestion ou bien doit-on y aller chaîne par chaîne jusqu’à ce qu’on en trouve une qui n’a pas encore été traduite?

Si jamais vous avez besoin d’un autre modérateur pour réduire votre charge de travail, je suis également volontaire. =)