Any mods that speed up the game, get rid of watching bubbles and all of the pop ups?

Mods are great and all but why don’t the developers get off their backsides and fix the things that people hate about the game? The community shouldn’t have to make up for a developers incompetence or apathy.

woa, that’s some harsh language! You make it sound like we have abandoned the game. Let me see: Our last official release was a short ten days ago. The last update to the game code, which fixed some rare issues, was yesterday. We have been continuously updating the game since release.

2 Likes

Boo. You’ve probably been following this game and it’s development sense yesterday.

I’m not saying you’ve abandoned the game. I’m just pointing out that it has elements that are so tedious that you have people creating mods not for nice one off things, but to fix the core parts of the game which were poorly designed.

Your game has more popups than anything I’ve played by probably 100x. I don’t need a pop up for every little thing. You can throw information up in an area. Pop ups are annoying.

Do you know anyone who stares bubbles in a fish tank all day? of course not, they’d be bored to tears. Why am I forced to see all of these bubbles coming up?

Why do I have to sit through game scores calculating. You can just show it to me.

Why can’t I template the sliders for each game type. it’s pointlessly tedious to have to reselect them for each game

Why can’t I default in people for game types. More tediousness.

Why do I have to sit and watch bubbles for each game engine.

You’ve got good concepts here but notice how other games try not to make things tedious? Yeah, that.

As much as I hate to say it I think devg has some good points. There’s a lot of room for improvement.

Maybe threads like this are why games spend so long in early access.

Tweak mod.

Don’t feed the trolls.

1 Like

I didn’t feed the troll, he pointed out a bunch of stuff he didn’t like and then I gave him the Tweak mod which fixed most of his issues.

They are all design choices. We specifically designed the game to use popups instead of asynchronous messages (it felt more engaging and forced us to keep messages short and important). We made a decision to create tension in the game rating window by animating the score over a few seconds (showing instant ratings creates no tension, it’s boring). We made a decision that game development isn’t instantaneous and added bubbles to give some visual progress.

You might disagree with some (or all) of these decisions but that doesn’t mean that we are wrong. Every game will have players who really hate one or more design decisions.

I don’t think you are wrong either. For our next games we might do things differently but I strongly disagree with the argument that Game Dev Tycoon is somehow broken because of these choices. When watching players play our game, I repeatedly see that these choices work and do exactly what they are supposed to.

Anyway, some players will hate it. The great things about games that allow modding, is that modders can do something about this and as others have pointed out, there are already mods that address these issues.

It’s not like we ignore player feedback. We have done some major changes in the past, based on very valid and often provided critic.

3 Likes

The design choices were wrong. Go read a book on UI design or spend some time working with end users interested in a happy, productive experience and you’ll find that NONE of them want excessive popups or mouse clicks. None. Go find someone who works on CAD and ask them what their thoughts would be on introducing a few hundred clicks into their work day. They would throw you out of their office.

Introducing things that make people wait isn’t suspense. It’s just another annoyance. Popups and mouse clicks detract from a game. Name a popular game that’s filled with so many pop ups. Seriously.

Your reliance on mods is great and all, but to use your game this is a CASUAL game. It wasn’t easy for me with some programming experience to figure out how to make mods work on a mac. The better question is WHAT PERCENTAGE OF CASUAL GAMERS KNOW WHAT A MOD IS OR CAN FIGURE OUT HOW THEY WORK? Mods are great for the hardcore community. That’s just a small percentage of your user base.

The game is broken because of these choices. While people here are tripping over themselves to defend it, it’s a casual game and most of the users wouldn’t participate in forums like this.

To the other folks with the troll comments, please grow up. Nothing I’m saying here is not factual or not based on anyone not playing the game. I spend a lot of time during my highly paid work week getting feedback from customers. We’d be laying off people if we sold products with this many UI issues.

As to the Tweak mod comment, you might want to look at the other thread I made here where more than one person was pointing out that it was broken.

Developing games and developing apps is a completely different topic. Games are not made to be efficient. They are made to be fun. Imagine if Diablo focused its user experience on minimizing clicks! Imagine StarCraft if they focused on making the game easy-to-use instead of hard to master.

We have our reasons to do things the way we do. I explained them and I absolutely reject the argument that the game is broken. We will just have to disagree on this.

1 Like

I’m sure you get my point. Again, name any other popular game that has taken the annoying habit of spyware on an infected computer and integrated that as a feature. Diablo wouldn’t have gotten to the 3 version of you were constantly nagged by popups as you went through the gameplay.

Again, name it.

You’ve got people actively modifying the game to make up for its shortcomings. That’s not how mods evolved.

Don’t give excuses. Take responsibility. Man up. Fix it.

Its a design choice, and they’ve taken responsibility and fixed some issues before.

And what/whose modding API did those modders use? Who interrogated the game into Steam Workshop? Who developed a game that has “overwhelmingly positive” reviews on Steam? Who has a team of about five and did all this? If you’re telling me that their being lazy and aren’t fixing bugs/problems, think again.

The thing is, most people like what design choices they made. These “problems” you point out as something they need to “fix” are part of the game. You act like it’s so blatantly obvious they should fix this, even though it isn’t a problem. Their not just going to change it all because the minority of people–who could just download a mod–don’t like it.

It’s one thing to say you “don’t like the game”. But to say that the developers are being lazy and don’t “take responsibility” and are giving “excuses” is just incorrect.

1 Like

Main game was made with just Daniel and Patrick, they recruited some people from the modding community :slight_smile:

Good on them. There’s no excuse for them to not modify it to conform with basic user interface standards. With the tedious items removed, it would be a much more playable game. Talk to people who use CAD, PACS, etc, who are highly paid and rely on a user interface to do their jobs and none of them will say that their user experience is improved by a mass of mouse clicks.

It’s unfortunate that the folks who developed the game didn’t bother to take it to the next level. When mods exist to make your game less annoying, then there’s a problem with the core game. They could quite easily have those excessive mouse clicks as a feature that someone could turn on.

Modding shouldn’t exist to make up for the poor design of a game. It’s unfortunate that people like Patrick are so dedicated to tedious gameplay and that they rely on the mod community to take away the tedium from their work.

“Impatience mod rocks”

It rocks because the core game is broken.

Some one has crawled out from under their rock!

No of course it doesn’t improve , I’ll take 3D modelling (Since you have mentioned CAD) as a example, to me it’s much more tedious 3D Modelling than clicking one button. It isn’t a mass amount of clicks at all, you get a pop up every now and again. If you think clicking your mouse every now and again is tedious, I’d hate to watch you try stitching something up.

Poor game design in YOUR opinion and other’s opinions

Try giving CONSTRUCTIVE criticism here, how do you want the information to be presented if they weren’t pop up’s that are so tedious to get rid of you cry to the developers

2 Likes

If it is broken, how can you run it? Ever thought about that? The devs are the one making the design choices. This game simulates how a real game developer develops. Coding, waiting, executing, and fixing. It takes a long damn while.

You are entitled to your own opinion.

Don’t shove it up others’ throats.

2 Likes

Dev.

How about you make the mod, since you need it tailored to your wants, while we don’t need it?

Thanks.

1 Like