Idea: Community Expansion Pack DLC

cough cough my mods cough cough

I think that the potential of this idea is enormous and well executed it can be amazing. But like @kristof1104 said, if it isn’t managed well it will turn into a disaster. Might be something I’m willing to come back to modding again :smiley:

3 Likes

@Gamingthrou
Hate to say, but I doubt they would be coming back. I, alike 30-40 other modders on the forum (including Khan, alphabit, and kristof) already had access to the unobfuscated code, so really it’ll be no big change for them.

Sorry, but I just doubt they’ll all be coming back for something they already had access to. Maybe a few, but I don’t think the majority will.

EDIT: Seems that @DzjengisKhan has promised a maybe, but my thoughts still remain the same.

No one forces anyone to come back but just wanted to point out that the current unobfucated code is one giant JS file. not the same as having access to the fully-structured code and the freedom to just change stuff directly.

I suspect it will be the same as early GDT modding. There will be some motivated core modders at the start, and then others will join when they see some progress/direction.

@PatrickKlug I’ll stay faithful with my opinions. :wink: Needless to say, I won’t be joining in. I’ll continue lurking in the backdrops of 11 different forums, reddit, and various other social things. Although I’ll have to agree with you - I must’ve misread, or misunderstood. Nevertheless, I’ll also have to agree with you on your second point - It’ll be a lot more popular down the line than it will be at the beginning. I wish you good luck with this. :smile: :+1:

I moved 10 posts to an existing topic: Any mods that speed up the game, get rid of watching bubbles and all of the pop ups?

I think this is a wonderfull idea, I think other gaming companies should take notes from you guys! :slight_smile:

He probably meant little feedback from reviews etc. although I’m glad you dont use all your time on reimplementing that complex algorithm :slight_smile:

This seems like a very good idea :smile:
I might make a contribution if I have the time and this idea goes to plan :smiley:

Sound Great!
Now I with team and Russian Community develop big mode for this game:)
http://gamersgomakers.ru/topic/99-russianggmmode/#entry416

Hi @PatrickKlug, have you guy’s decided if you are going through with the project yet?

There’s very little interest around it, it seems dark. But me and @janch32 would happily join the work, with or without MDT :slight_smile:

Good to hear @Stian!

I think the developers will eventually join the cause when the project actually starts making some progress. Even if only a few members join, I still think we can get a lot done.

If it goes through we still need some kind of team lead, we still need to decide stuff like that.
I’m ready to donate my competitormod code, and I have a few idea’s like adding new offices, customizing furniture, ect to GDT.

There is a lot of cool stuff we can do with this, I’m pretty sure @DzjengisKhan will almost be done with his exames and maybe he’ll join the cause as well?

Kristof

3 Likes

Me and @janch32 have an ownCloud setup which we use for our personal stuff for now, but we’ll happily open it up so we could possibly use it for development too :slight_smile: We might end up using Github though, but whats the point of adding DLC when you can just download it from Github?

Sounds really cool :smile:

Possibly GHG will set up a private GitHub Repo, and add all members off the project to it

Sounds pretty… dumb. Private Github repo’s have never worked out for me, but we’ll see.

1 Like

Sorry for the silence. We were at the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco (came back yesterday). Initial goal was a decision by mid-March so we are on track to hit that.

Give us a few days and we should have more info :slight_smile:

1 Like

By that logic, we shouldn’t release our code either. I really don’t think it’ll be such a problem. Those who want to steal our game/your mod, will do so regardless.

(Not-so-)fun fact: A day after we released GDT, some Russian hackers had already unpacked our code and hosted a partly-translated online version of the game online. Unfortunately for them they used our ‘cracked’ version as the source :smiley:

6 Likes

@kristof1104 is right :smile: I should be done with my exams around May and can/probably will join the team as well :smiley:

P.S. Like your ideas @kristof1104 :smiley:

3 Likes