Youtube claims on the background music in Game Dev Tycoon

On twitter I see increased chatter that automatic claims come in on Let’s Play videos, including some on Game Dev Tycoon. To be clear, these claims do NOT come from us and our EULA specifically states you can monetize Let’s Plays. It seems that the royalty free-licensed background music that we use in Game Dev Tycoon is the source of this and that some company is causing automatic claims on this.

We knew about this in the past but it seems that this becoming much more frequent.

If you experienced this yourself, can you please share your experience here? Have you had any luck contesting these claims? Is there any way you can resolve this, other than turning off the music?

We would like to get a more complete picture of the situation so that we can help resolve this (if necessary by changing the music).

4 Likes

I would probably say to get music from an awesome source that doesn’t even worry about content ID claims, http://incompetech.com and http://www.joshwoodward.com are two really fantastic sources that are never claimed because the authors don’t even want to be in the content ID system, thanks for all the hard work its an awesome game!

3 Likes

Well it is just going to get worse with there new system coming. From what I have heard this has came from networks just going around partnering people without looking into the content that is being uploaded on those channels. Also I have heard that this is from publishers whining for some reason.

at least one person on twitter said that they were able to contest this successfully:

Since I have not had any (valid) claims, I’d just like to give some general information to fellow youtubers or those whom consider to become one:

• Look in the faq / forum what you can and can not do by recording the game and it’s music (or send the nice guys from greenheart games an email). If you have written permission what you can do, you’re on the safe side
  • If you still want to use some background music, only making it quiet doesn’t save from copyright strikes - it’s still used. Search for music on the internet which is licenced under, e.g. Creative Commons - BY, or other music which is free to be used in your own project (check commercial rights too), or send the artists you’l like to use an email if you can use their music.
  • As a repetition from youtube’s faq - removing a video doesn’t remove a claim. Keep this in mind when you deal with claims or copyright strikes.

Also keep in mind that those claims are majorly made by automated means. Hence why you even get them on scheduled - non-published videos and simply reducing the volume of the music doesn’t work to prevent such.

Hope this helps if anybody trips over this topic.

I had an entire LP series of Game Dev Tycoon get flagged “AdRev for 3rd party”. This happened about a month ago though. I suspect we’re only seeing it on a massive scale now since the new Youtube network policies have forced a lot of channels out from the protection of networks (Going from ‘managed’ to ‘affiliate’) I’m independent and therefor easily targeted by the content ID system.

Due to the massive uproar of content creators on Youtube, I’ve been able to contest and have all claims cleared, citing Fair Use.

1 Like

I have had these issues, but the video has not been taken down.

If you and other people might have this again, I think this video will be very helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMTTvPB94_Q.

1 Like

It’s youtube’s automatic system

Many popular youtubers are getting ID claims developers didn’t even claim. So more than likely it isnt legit.

1 Like

Gmail put the forum weekly roundup in spam, most likely due to this post. Warning, they might even be cracking down on complaining about their abuse of power.

I had six disputes and five have been successful. I am confident that the sixth will be successful as well.

1 Like

Uploaded my first GDT video this morning and got hit. I disputed it, we’ll see what happens.

[Edit: 3 hours later, disputes rejected, claims reinstated. I can appeal it but then I’d have to give some unknown party my contact info (audiojungle? ckotty himself? either way, NOPE) and if I don’t win the appeal I get a copyright strike. Ugh. Looks like I’ll be scrapping three more videos’ worth of footage and starting over with music turned off.]

1 Like

I had the same beautiful surprise by making a let’s play of Game Dev Tycoon on my youtube channel … And I’m glad to see that it is only youtube that warns us and you let you us the right to music :slight_smile: Thank you for taking the time to explain anyway :slight_smile:

Does anyone know what this is talking about? Just wondering so that I can either dispute or acknowledge

As Greenheart Games has said earlier, you have to turn the music of the game off before recording. The music ingame IS copyrighted! These claims don’t come from Greenheart Games, though.

1 Like

Ok thank you, i’m off an on, on the forum and forget things as soon as I have read them will do in the future anyway, guess i will jsut take it down, anyway thank you :smile:

You’re welcome. :wink:

Official statement by Greenheart Games if interested:
http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/youtube-claims-on-the-background-music-in-game-dev-tycoon/9477

1 Like

You should easily be able to dispute the copyright claim, seeing as the music is royalty-free.

Try to do this in another games, Youtube system is annoying .

how did you do that ?