Important Update and FAQ (If you see any issues, read this first)

Many of you probably came here by the storm of press we got for our blog post on our first day of sales of our native Windows, Mac and Linux version.

The response has been overwhelming and a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has bought our game and supports us! I will blog about the results and will try to compile some of the reactions but first I want to clarify a few things for all new customers.

We released the native version yesterday (well, two days ago by now) and even though we did some testing we did not have the user base to have so many system configurations. There are unfortunately some known issues at the moment. I will list the ones from the top of my head below. We will look into these and hopefully we can fix most of them soon but please give us some time. We are only two guys and haven’t slept much due to the influx of mails and operational issues like the server overload.

Downloads and Purchase Links

http://www.greenheartgames.com/game-dev-tycoon-downloads/

You can get the full game here:
http://sites.fastspring.com/greenheartgames/product/gamedevtycoon

Downloading Updates

To download the latest version of the game you have to re-use the download link from the purchase confirmation email. If you can’t find this email contact orders@fastspring.com with your order details and they should be able to help.

We fixed the auto-update notifications in version 1.3.8, so you will be notified about updates from within the game but you still have to download using your download link.

Purchase- / Order questions

Please write to our payment provider at orders@fastspring.com - They will take care of it.

Issues

All versions

• when some windows are open the main menu can’t be shown so you can’t save at this point and you have to manually quit the game if you want.
  • Some errors when loading a new level. Happens rarely but not isolated.
  • In some rare cases no game dev progress is made. We’re investigating this.
  • The game is available in ENGLISH only. The installer is multi-language though. We do plan to translate the game and the German translation for example has made lots of progress.

Windows version

• Multi-monitor setups such as Eyefinity or dual-screens are not supported at the moment. You will have to disable them to play.
  • The icon in Windows volume control is way too big.

Mac version

• Game is only supported for Mac OS 10.7+ This is not something we can change and this fact is stated on the website and the purchase page. You’ll either need to upgrade, gift the game to someone else or request a refund.
  • Pressing ESC right after starting the game brings the game into windowed mode… It’s better to click first and then press ESC

Linux version

• No common issues known.

Other info

Windows 7 support?

The native game (the one you can buy from our website, through fastspring) runs on Windows 7 just fine or even on earlier versions of Windows. If in doubt, try the DEMO.
The confusion comes from our website which falsely stated that this is only a Windows 8 game. That was because the Windows 8 Store version has been available for a while now.

Windows Store (Windows 8) owners

If you purchased our game on the Windows 8 Store (so not on our website) we aim to provide you with a free steam key once the game is on steam but there is currently no automated way to get a license for the native game…

5 Likes

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or cleared by each user using the Clear Pin button.

I’ll take the liberty of posting my guide to running GDT on Linux here as well as it’s more likely people will find it in this thread: http://techthat.net/2013/05/01/game-dev-tycoon-on-linux/

If you purchased our game on the Windows 8 Store (so not on our website) we aim to provide you with a free steam key once the game is on steam

I really hope that’s also true for those who purchased the game via your website. :slight_smile:

yes, it is! I we will aim to provide you with a steam key.

1 Like

Hello Guys!
I’ve heard about your privacy solution and were amazed! I would probably never heard about the game dev game if you guys didn’t make this awesome solution!
Yesterday I bought It and it is just incredible! it was a nice purchase, but…

I bought the PC version, and just now i realize that you launched the Windows Store App…
Could I change my purchase to have the Windows Store app instead od the desktop one?

Hi, there is a way for lauch the game on a Mac who haven’t Lion or better :
Go to your Application folder
Right-click on Game Dev Tycoon (or ctrl+click) and choose "Show package contents"
Go to “Contents” > “Ressources” > “app.nw” and open the file who called “defaultBrowser.html” whit Safari or Google Chrome (I haven’t test it whith an other browser, sorry).

The game is now loading in your web browser :smile:
In fact, the loader who doen’t work before Lion is a simple webkit-based web browser.

Enjoy :wink:

Dude, I’m exactly the same.

To Greenheart, good luck with the industry!

Actually, it seems like it should be possible to get GDT to run on older version of OSX too. node-webkit bug #97 suggests that if you build nw from source on a 10.6 system, it might work. If you then extract the game source and run it directly as explained here, you might be able to run the game normally even on the older OSX versions.

Good luck!

as an early adopter (purchased the first day I saw it in Win8 store) I am wondering how (and if) you are going to keep all versions up to date with the same features / balancing? I’m assuming by now that you have a lot more non-win8 sales than win8 sales, so I’m assuming that the major focus will be to keep the non8 version updated more quickly, but I’m hoping that I’ll still be able to get any updates that come through.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had to send an e-mail to support to get the windows 8 store to sell me the game (apparently, having exactly 2 GB RAM is is considered “less than” by the store :blush: ). I don’t want to end up having issues updating on top of that…

By the way, what’s your Buy to Pirate ratio by now?

Great! I’m glad you guys are aware of the “no game dev progress being made” bug.

I accidently saved when starting a game i thought was going well. But it turns out it was perpetually stuck in the “starting” phase.

I’d hate to start over because i’m in year 30+ something with most of my staff at level 7.
For now i’m just at the mercy of the devs creating a fix.

…I need to save the purchase link my friend gave me when he bought me this copy.

1 Like

well i know one thing this game is so unbalanced its not fun for me any more

hmmm, I purchased it via cousins paypal, and it was on this website (Not windows store)…

Do I still receive the steam key?

There are currently no Steam keys to receive. When the game eventually gets Greenlit on Steam, then all purchasers will receive a key. In your case, the email account which received the order confirmation email, and the download links will be the one to receive the key. If that goes to your cousin, then they can simply forward it to you.

Thanks, I’ll give my cousin a heads up :slight_smile:
Looking forward to more games from green heart!

Got a question not covered here: Is the Gamepad a controller, or is it like the dance pad with dancing games? If it’s B, been wasting a bunch of money making my games compatible with it.

Thanks for looking into the “game dev progress bug.” I know for a fact that that every time I hit the end of year-celebration while in the middle of developing a game, the game progress freezes (even though research or lab progress doesn’t, and would love to be able to access my 2 30+ year games sometime in the future.

The white screen on startup issue was fixed with one simple restart, only hanging on white for around 2-3 seconds on Windows 7 64-bit, 8gb of ram etc. DEMO version.
EDIT
Well, on another startup, hangs on white screen. Seems to only work from time to time.