There are, uh, a few duplicate topics

I’ve been lurking here for two days watching all the traffic on this forum, which is great!

And for the most part things are working well on the forum. Some good information can be found here, and it is almost always civil here. (remember please continue to flag any posts that are rude or uncivil!)

However there is one epidemic problem here – a LOT of duplicate topics. Like … a lot, a lot. Tons!

Even though the forum tries its best to tell you when you are creating a duplicate topic based on the title…

However software, however clever, is no subtitute for a good moderator!

We desperately need a community moderator that can help…

1. Watch for new duplicate topics as they get opened
  2. Link them back to the original topics so people can find the help they need in this forum
  3. Close them!

The good news is that there aren’t many problems on the forum, or at least I’m not seeing many complaints. The bad news is that there are a zillion duplicate topics with more coming in every day!

I hope a new moderator can assist… and if anyone reading this sees a dupe topic, please try to link it to the original topic by pasting a URL in a reply – that’s all it takes to link them together!

1 Like

and please flag the topic which needs to be closed as a duplicate.

Should have add a flag as dupe?

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or cleared by each user using the Clear Pin button.

I will pin this. I know there are a lot of pinned topics at the moment but this is important.

I have removed the category. I want this displayed at the top of the forum.

Hey guys, can you perhaps create a pinned topic called “Suggested Features” or something like that? So we would know that the idea was already suggested, therefore avoiding more duplicate threads? Minecraft Forums had one like that, during the looooong beta phase, which helped me quite a lot when I wanted to suggest something, as it prevented me from starting duplicate topics.

The issue with this is that this topic would need to constantly be updated by one of us to include any new features which come up. That’s actually a bigger burden to me at least than using the search functionality (and really just memorizing what’s already been suggested, I’ve already started doing it).

It might not hurt to try, I just don’t see it scaling to well. :confused:

Well like you said, it wouldn’t hurt. Sometimes people offer the same ideas in different words, so search function may not be enough for a clean forum. And if it has been done at such a large scale, a smaller forum may handle it but oh well, it’s up to the mods :slight_smile: I hope I don’t start any duplicate topics ^^

Well you need a proper FAQ. And the forum search sucks. I searched for a lot of questions that should be answered in a sticky faq (esspecially gameplay questions).

Unless you make a FAQ this will never stop.

1 Like

Nothing will stop it except better moderation, or disallowing the creation of new topics altogether. Can you provide examples of what you are searching for?

Using the forum search to search for ‘faq’ turns up this thread as the first result:

http://forum.greenheartgames.com/t/important-update-and-faq-if-you-see-any-issues-read-this-first/580

Admittedly, it could do with being updated, but it’s not exactly hard to find.

That is also at the top of the first page on the forum, as it’s a pinned topic.

The search feature in this forum doesn’t seem to pull the results well enough. I always search for my topics before posting and I already had a topic of mine closed because it was a duplicate. It was never a topic that was in my search results. I think that is probably the biggest problem.

I will agree that yours was a bit harder to find (I knew what I was looking for and it was pretty difficult for me too), but, in general, the search functionality works just fine. I’ve been able to find topics pretty well using basic search terms from people’s posts.

Like I said, absolutely nothing in that FAQ is answered in terms of all the frequently asked game mechanic questions. Sure people can google the wiki and get maybe half of what they want to know but the point is there is no FAQ in this forum on all the important game questions. You can moderate all you will, unless you put up a FAQ with the stuff asked it won’t help anyone.

1 Like