Game Dev Tycoon is coming to Steam on August 29th

Originally published at: http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/08/22/game-dev-tycoon-is-coming-to-steam-on-august-29th/

Back in May, thanks to many tens of thousands of players voting for us (thank you!), Game Dev Tycoon got the green light for a Steam release. We saw the Steam release as an opportunity to polish the game a little more and respond to player feedback.

In the past months we have gone over many details of the game and have updated it to make it more enjoyable. Some of the features of the updated version:

• A longer story line, extending the playtime and adding new story elements as well as new platforms.
  • New artwork (by our original talented artists).
  • Ability to unlock multi-platform games.
  • Rebalanced topics and platforms to make choices more interesting and results more understandable.
  • Rebalanced review system to address sudden spikes in difficulty.
  • New game mechanics (Post-release game reports and company expertise) to provide more feedback to the player.
  • Small but often requested changes such as support for longer game names and ability to edit game name before release.
  • And much more: A full change log is available here.

Thanks to our players for the many many suggestions and ideas for additional features and tweaks. We read through hundreds of pages and worked through many of the ideas. Ultimately, and after a few prototypes of more drastic changes showed us that most ideas are probably better for a sequel, we settled on changes that enhance the current gameplay and make the game more enjoyable without drastically altering the game. Anyway, we certainly have lots of material for the sequel (Game Dev Tycoon 2 some time in the future is very likely but it won’t be our next project). Back to the Steam release!

Availability

The new, updated version of Game Dev Tycoon will come to Steam August 29th (next week!). The updated game will be priced at $9.99 USD with a launch discount of –20%, bringing it down to just $7.99.

Pre-Order on Steam now!

The Steam release is for PC and Mac platforms. A Linux version will likely follow soon. We will also update the Windows Store version of Game Dev Tycoon as well as the one available through our website. More information on the availability of these updates will follow.

Steam keys

As stated all along we aim to provide Steam keys to existing owners of the game and will announce details about availability and how to claim your key closer to the release date.

Next plans

Our next plans, beside the Linux release and updating our other distribution channels, is to release the first translated versions of Game Dev Tycoon. Thanks to our volunteer translators we are quickly approaching full translations for our first languages (Spanish and German seem to be first). Before we can release those, we will need to update the translations with the changes of the updated Game Dev Tycoon version. There is no ETA yet but we are optimistic.

17 Likes

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or the Clear Pin button is pressed.

1 Like

I like those changes :smiley:

Looking forward to playing it.

Good to see the Steam release will be soon :blush:
Nice work :thumbsup:

Suddenly eight days is a long time…

Goooood.
I hope i’ll translate it in italian too :smiley:

so will 1.4.0 for Windows 7, Vista, XP and regular Windows 8 come out on August 29, 2013 as well with the same content as the Steam release.

Hey,
1.4.0 will be released for;
Windows xp +
Mac 10.7.5.+
on both Steam and our Store :smiley:

Longer Story line sounds great!
Does “new platforms” means Amiga is there? :slight_smile:

Loving everything that’s new & fixed.

Can’t wait for the new projects and GDT2 of course.

I remember playing this game during the pre-release trial, still addicted to this day.

Key question though, when can we expect the Win8 update?

The 29th is my birthday. At least it makes my birthday a bit enjoyable since my girlfriend left me ._.
Thanks, guys.

Hey Guys, when I enter the steam page of the game, it says the game is unavailable in my region (Brazil). What’s the problem? Many who have supported the game at Greenlight (or even buying the game here) are from Brazil, so it’s kind of frustrating I want to buy the game, but being unable to do it.

1 Like

Unfortunately Brazil and some other countries (like Korea) have mandatory rating systems, which means that we have to get the game officially rated before we can release it there. We will investigate how we can enable this in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for the quickly reply.

pls pls pls make a multiplayer patch !

This sounds great, especially the new features and multi-platform games, and I am so happy that the devs have been listening to the fans on what they want. Just to make this game improve.

Quick question…while you’re working on your next project and that, the game will receive more patches correct?

Very Very Nice update added a lot of the stuff I was hoping for.SSOoo you guys rich yet from steam pre-orders? :wink:

Also was wondering multi-platform games how many systems is that for like two or all the systems?

Game reports, multi platform releases, extended storylines … WOW, you folks outdid yourselves. AWESOME.

Yes. Time to play some more.:slight_smile: I really hope you still support for the yrs to come.:smiley: Thanks for an awesome game. Heck, if I got the money, I might hold another giveaway of your game. xD

Exciting news! I bought the Windows 8 version awhile back and I cannot wait for these updates! I hope they come sooner than later. I’m just anxious! Congratz on the Steam release.

1 Like