Youtube 3rd party claim

Hi,

I´m working on a LP on Youtube and on one of my Videos are 3rd Party claims:

ckotty-Corporate Loop 8-ckotty- AdRev for a 3rd Party

Can someone from Greenheart or a support tell me something about it? I know there is one other Topic but the only solution is reuploading it without music, so I would like to ask here.

Thx for reading

What…? All i know the game is DRM free… and that’s it.

I would contact Youtube and talk to them about that. If you have already done so, then contact Greenheart by emailing their support email address. But the game is DRM free, they don’t want to make claims. People do LPs for this game and its made them huge revenue.

Okay thx for the infos, gonna try it with the support email from Greenheart. As far as i know it might be not that easy to get information regarding this from youtube.

It seems that this claim comes from a company selling one of the background music tracks that we purchased for a royalty free use within Game Dev Tycoon. Since you are only capturing game play this claim should not apply to you but I’m not a lawyer so I can’t tell you for sure.

I would try to contact youtube and explain the situation. Alternatively, as others have said, you could disable the in-game music.

1 Like

Thx for the quick info :wink:

My understanding is that the developer obtains the license for use as a sound track or effect in the game. Therefore, Greenheart Games has a license to use the tracks “Royalty Free” in the game “Game Dev Tycoon.”

The terms of this license do not cascade down to end users of the game “Game Dev Tycoon,” as they have not bought the license to use the track “Royalty Free.” DRM refers to track protection, rather than licensing or royalties.

Creating “Let’s Plays” is a re-use of a product that has not been licensed for this purpose, which is why the claim arises. It is better to delete the video from Youtube, re-edit to remove the music or sounds, then re-upload when done. This may involve re-recording your commentary, but it’ll be worthwhile, as the license holder will have no grounds to claim for royalties, which is doubly important if you were intending on monetizing.

You could use your own “Royalty Free” tracks instead in your Let’s Play, such as those provided by http://www.incompetech.com (Kevin MacLeod). In other words, you are obtaining your own license to use and monetize tracks on Youtube as background tracks in your video. Different sites have different conditions, so read the Ts and Cs carefully.

I believe that accepting the copyright claim means that Youtube would automatically pay any advertising revenues generated to the license holder where appropriate. Although, in some videos I’ve seen that have been struck over copyright, all of the audio is entirely muted, so there may be more to it.

If any other Youtubers are still unclear how “Royalty Free” tracks actually work when it comes to licensing, it may be best to spend some time visiting sites that offer them, and reading the terms of the actual licenses as regards what the licensee may and may not do.

Acknowleding the claim sends all Ad Revenue to a 3rd party. Specifically the one that owns this license, I don’t think the user has any legal ground to stand on unless they have purchased this track. It sucks, but I would suggest either disabling music or purchasing the license.

I found this video which offers a walkthrough on how to get the claim released by Adrev:

Hope this helps some of you!

2 Likes

I just wanted to post that I have received three content ID claims on the background music and the process I am using to resolve them, in case it helps others.

Prior to reading through these forums and seeing the method suggested by the developer, I did file a counter claim on the grounds of having received prior permission to make lets plays of the game. At this point, I would have not taken that course and instead followed the method given in the video in the previous post.

I followed the method given in the video and sent three requests through the adrev.net site. I am now waiting on a reply. Since it is the weekend, I am not expecting a reply until Monday.

Here is the the description I provided to them. I may have been too polite, but I feel like politeness goes a long way in getting this type of thing resolved:

*I received some copyright notices on my let’s play videos for Game Dev Tycoon. The song in question is licensed by the developer of the game and the video created is in cooperation with their EULA which allows monetization of lets play videos with commentary on YouTube. However, I am glad to fully cooperation with whatever action you determine I should take, so please let me know what you would prefer I do. The EULA is located here:

http://www.greenheartgames.com/legal/game-dev-tycoon-eula/

The video in question are set to private and scheduled for future release, but the links are below:
(Links removed by poster)

I will submit one of these messages for each video just in case. Thank you and I hope you have a wonderful day. :)*

1 Like

Confirmation for my previous post. All content claims removed. The method of going through the AdRev.net website worked great.

I created a request for each content ID claim. Each request was answered within the time frame they specified which was 8 hours on weekdays and 48 hours on weekends. The support person let me know that he is there to help if I needed anything else. I feel great now that the process is complete.

I have disabled background music in the game just to avoid future issues. Big thumbs up to the developer of this game for helping out those making videos.

2 Likes

@Jal_Indo

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am sure that will prove useful to many other gamers and reviewers alike.