[Win] Game doesn't load - white screen

it worked and loaded in safe mode, but still doesn’t work normally. This bug really needs to be fixed, oh and make sure you vote for it in steam greenlight. And if you find any other means of making it work make sure to put it on this forum…

Running a Dell Mini Inspiron 10 that’s been upgraded to Win 7. Game worked fine immediately after buying and downloading it, and again the following morning (today), if a bit slow in animations due to it being a lower-powered machine.

Now when entering the game I will occasionally see the Game Dev Tycoon title screen with my company name above it, and then the screen shifts to a white-ish background with a light orange gradient in the center. Music still plays and if I wait long enough the title screen reappears.

When I click to continue I get the white/orange screen again, with the money/fans display in the upper right working. Nothing else shows, the music plays and the game advances time as usual. Hit escape to pause, the menu does not appear but “Paused” does on the left side. Have to blindly click to find exit.

If I am able

Apologies for double post, cannot find “edit” on phone while in this forum.

If/when able to find “Settings” that window appears, and can switch to windowed mode properly and it will display. When going back to full screen from windowed the display will appear normally, but be unresponsive as it resizes. Plus the right and bottom sides of the display will have a shaded overlay to them, and any news windows will not appear (though you can click them closed at the proper spot as if they were visible).

Running version 1.3.3. Hope that’s enough detail to help track down the problem!

EDIT: Now that I’m on the internet with the computer in question… just downloaded the 1.3.5 installer, updated the program, and still no luck. Uninstalled the program entirely, reinstalled with the 1.3.5 installer, and the same thing continues to happen. Utterly confused as to why it just arbitrarily decided to stop functioning properly on this machine.

Hey everybody.

I’ve gotten quite a few reports on this bug in the support inbox.

I’ve bumped it up to a “priority” bug and Daniel and Patrick will be reviewing it ASAP.

I’m sorry for the issue.

(Note: I’m playing on Windows 7, an eMachines actually and it runs flawlessly. Who figured a crummy wal-mart computer would do well?)

Yes please fix I bought the game almost a week ago and have not been able to play it the game looks amazing from what I have seen of others peoples gameplay and was really disappointed when I couldn’t play it.

Hey,

I just got demo. I had the same problem. To fix it I enabled “Run in compability mode with Windows XP”.
Just try it guys, it worked for me.

Best,
zabbas

Tried all that and it does not work for me, was one of the first things I did, I have tried nearly all of them going past xp screws up my desktop and is a pain to fix.

My bad, it was “run as administrator” that helped.

Cheers,
zabbas

I have just updated the game to v1.38 and I got the screen where it says ‘click any button to start’ (or whatever it says) and then it just freezes… l was running as administrator.

Still doesn’t work for me on 1.38

That was the VERY first thing I did and it never worked and still does not.

Having the same problem, anybody find a solution?

None so far I am getting fed up with not being able to play the game a week after I bought it

2 Likes

@bulldog2305 and others: how much RAM does your machine have? Have you tried updating your display drivers? Is the system generally up to date? - We are still unable to reproduce this problem :confused:

I found that, if I run a 3rd party program like “Virtu MVP” the game will start with a white screen. The only way to start the game without a white screen for myself was to close Virtu down.

I bring this up to inform you that other programs might cause this problem, look at the program(s) you are running and close the one(s) you do not need.

I have Nvidia, and Nvidia drivers come with a “Clean Install” check box option. Download the latest Nvidia drivers, tick that box and reinstall them. As for other drivers, you could download the “Guru3D - Driver Sweeper” and run the program. Please make sure you do not click the wrong drivers as this “could” harm your PC.

Safemode also only starts up with the most basic applications, so a program is conflicting with the game, this could be a virus program, or like I said, just a random 3rd party program you downloaded and is now running in the background.

Good luck everyone!

1 Like

Yes, the fact that Safe Mode seems to work for some, suggest some kind of interference from other apps.

this is my pc info.

rmypc.jpg [1,229x903px] ฝากรูป

the first time I install and play it work fine but after restart my PC I can’t play it anymore.(still can play in safe mode)

@Emaniel_Aenslan did you update your display drivers or made any other changes when this started to happen?

nope I didn’t update anything.

@gnor any suggestions how we could troubleshoot this problem? the machine should easily be able to run the game.