Variables for masculine/feminine characters?

Hi, after translating a few strings from the Spanish version, I came across several lines that could (and probably should) have some sort of variable code for feminine and masculine characters.

For example, line 109 from the file:
Thanks for agreeing to the coding contest. It was a big success! {0} won the contest and is lucky to distribute the prize of {1} to charity. We have also learned a lot in the process.

Since I’m assuming {0} in this case will be one of your employees’ name, in Spanish as well as in other languages, the adjective “lucky” in this case would have to match the gender of the person that we refer to. For example, I could say “y está encantado de poder…” for a male and “y está encantada de poder…” for a female.

Sometimes we can work around it and find other expressions that are more neutral, but they don’t always sound right.

Has this been already considered and/or dealt with somehow?

Thanks for an awesome game!

Is the word “fortunate” gender based? as you could use that instead if not. (afortunado ?)

“fortunate” is NOT(depending on context), “fortunate one” IS, depending on context.
(and even that is halfway beside the point, there’s another dozen translations for “encantado”/“encantada” into english (based on context )

it is a gender-sensitive adverb in indo-germanic languages, especially in latin-based ones.
“afortunadO” has a male connotation, “afortunadA” a female,
(either meaning “the lucky male” or “the lucky female”)

modern english threw away that distinction somewhere in the 18./19. century.
(lucky btards…I’m glad enough we got away from stuff like locative . :wink: )

@DanielKlug did we run into this in the German translation as well? I assume we just worked around it?

erwischt! :stuck_out_tongue:

EN: got ya :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like