Too few moderators?

I checked the translation repository and noticed that we have a very few commits per time.

This notes that we either have few moderators, or most likely inactive moderators.

I understand that we have strict screening methods on choosing a translation moderator. Yet I observed this method as slow and loses interest of excited contributors

Thinking of improving the process. How about a little bit of compromise? Hasten the moderator selection, promote a contributor as early as possible while they’re still excited. Promote early, review for demotion later when contribution noise increase, check for translation performance, per community suggestion threshold.

PROS:

• More moderators! More translations!
  • A very active translation project attracts more contributors
  • Having more contributors results to having more eyes on suggesting a re-translation of already translated data.
  • Lessen chances of contributors losing interest because their suggestions were not reviewed/approved/commented, or simply left unattended for a long period of time.

CONS:

• Conflict of acceptance level. Mod1 wants it his way, Mod2 wants it other way. We may resolve this through community feedback.
  • Security, moderator just wants to mess everything up. We do still need to have initial screening but lesser strictness. Evict user.
  • It’ll be sad for the moderator if he got demoted. Or even MAD! We may need them to proceed some terms-of-agreement that states possible demotion, etc…

Any other ideas? I think I forgot some details. So maybe that’s it so far.

Implement fast, stabilize as we go.

[may need to change forum topic as “translation suggestions”]

Thanks!

1 Like

weblate is working on a feature where users can vote on suggestions. this should help greatly with the amount of suggestions we receive.

Overall I prefer slow and high-quality over fast and messy when it comes to the actual accepted translations. It’s important that the translation follows a consistent style, so good moderators are very important. I do admit thought that I didn’t have as much time as I wanted to manage the whole process at the moment.

Or maybe implement a better way to attract and easily screen moderators.

What are translations anyway? I know the word , but the category. Your building up different types of languages to implement into the game as a language feature? Tell me if I’m getting this right.

I’m open for suggestions. I think one way to keep translations going is to engage with existing moderators more frequently. A separate moderation chat/PM could help with this.