Things you would like to see in Game Dev Tycoon?

Refer to Patrick two posts above you. Also, you can always add something to a game, even to large games like Skyrim or even Nethack (the most triumphant example of The Dev Team Thinks of Everything) - this is not arrogance or hubris. This is simply avoiding the Feature Creep.

The design is bad,the GUI design, you guys worked more on technology than on design, i like the game, but the gui is just blaaagh, anyways, thnx for this awesome game :smile:

I would love that you could not go forward before you have named your new game. I really hate when my game is named GAME #4 and i forgot to change it. This happens too often cause i like to choose genre and type before i know what i will call the game. Ether way, you have to name the game before you can go forward, or you can name it before release.

But over all i like the game :wink:

The GUI is just fine for a tycoon game. Specific examples of where you feel they failed to deliver and what they could have done is much better feedback than simply calling it ā€œbadā€ and then covering up your criticism with a partial compliment.

I wouldnā€™t say so. As long as you play in Fullscreen and with low numbers ticking, the GUI is ok.

If you play in windowed mode things get ugly. Menus are overlapping (e.g. if you are at the develop new game, the vertical middle canā€™t be used with your mouse, since the previous menu pops up in the background and blocks the components).
When you reach numbers above 1T (ok thats mostly past 30 years) the containers create extra lines for to long numbers (more 1ā€™s in the number deletes the extra line). So the right containers start flickering.

I understand what you mean, but there are still some really good ideas from the people here so far. Others are, admittedly, just too complicated and would make way too much work.
Some of the features already included, however, seem way too random, especially hiring. If I spend $2 million on expenses to hire somebody then I would expect to be getting some amazing additions to my dev team, but itā€™s no different to when I spend Ā£20k. I also find that the sliders donā€™t seem to be truly representational of the numbers they seem to be portraying. I guess I just like numbers rather than leaving it all to chance :wink:
I only mentioned hubris because in this glorious age of day one patches and expansions it seemed a bit abrupt to just negate any hope of getting some improvements/fixes. A stand that some could take as ā€œThis is our game, itā€™s perfect so like it or go homeā€.
I really do enjoy the game (Iā€™m almost to the point of making triple A games) and I havenā€™t come here to cause trouble, but surely you can agree that there are some design oversights?

Regards.

are you serious ? have you played ā€œanyā€ tycoon game ? and ā€œcoveringā€ ?? seriously, what are you ? 12 ? the compliment couldnā€™t be any truthful, Iā€™ve been waiting for a tycoon of this genre since i played my first tycoon game when i was 9, and yes, the gui is ā€œBADā€, and it isnā€™t a criticism if itā€™s the truth , and i would love to see like descriptions, tiny icons, etcā€¦related to design.

1 Like

Some minor points:

1. Ability to send all employees on vacation at the same time.

2. More details on why games are reviewed poorly. I suspect most power gamers will just look at the Wiki right now, which isnā€™t as much fun.

3. Greater guidance on how to progress. I played for a couple days across multiple characters never making a Medium game because I didnā€™t know what they were, and didnā€™t want to spend the RP and cash to find out. Then once Iā€™d figured that out, I made Medium games for 15 years because I couldnā€™t figure out how to unlock Large games (I had 400k fans and $130m, but only 3 total staff).

Iā€™m probably the only person who wants this, but I would enjoy the game (or its sequel) more if it had more hardcore business aspects like debt (not the 100% interest rate in the game now), IPOs, stock options for your employees, venture capitalists, being bought by a publisher, etc. Thereā€™s a fascinating Harvard Business School case study on Curt Shillingā€™s failed studio, but this article is free:

My point is proven in that there are still no examples to support the claim that itā€™s ā€œbadā€ and instead resort to accusations that I am unintelligent and a child. Neither of these claims provide support of the original statement nor do they contribute to an intelligent conversation. See the reply below for a good example.

That is a constructive well guided criticism of why the GUI is ā€œbadā€ and where it fails.

The goal here is to have good feedback so the developers can take it and make improvements where required or use it when making future games.

So, I read the second post down saying that they wonā€™t be adding anything to the game and I honestly havenā€™t read EVERY post in this thread. So excuse me if this has already been said.

I think the game is awesome, but Iā€™d like to see some kind of sandbox mode where you could set your starting location, staff, money, etc. That way you could see how your game consoles/games would compete with the classic game consoles. No matter how fast I play I can never release one before the PS4 or Mbox Next.

My number one big feature request is an even bigger facility, enabling multiple teams.

My number one tiny feature request is puzzle games.

In between, Iā€™d like the ability to save slider states/feature selections as templates, so when Iā€™m alternating expansions for two very different MMOs I donā€™t have to remember how the other one was balanced.

Also, the ability to mix topics like we mix genres. So I can have a sci-fi or fantasy virtual pet game, for instance.

Finish the game. Things to be added:

+ Rating System Overhaul.

• Currently rating is way too mysterious and boring. More genre specific comments to point out what goes wrong would be good(i really dont know how to make a good game. i break my previous record but turn out a bad games.)

+ User Critic after 1 month of game release

• Chance to affect Sales after general user rating revealed.

+ Game Building sequence lack of depth.

• Usually a great game, continue building after released. Nothing we can do after releasedā€¦
  • Chance to patch the game if rating too low, or release DLC if rating goes good.
  • Setting price (can let us see the avg market price), setting promotion
  • Game never take off from Market. But sales can go to zeroes. ( maybe after 1 years got sales promoā€¦ )
  • Option to help build up community
  • Gameā€™s own fan base numbers.
  • More details about games produced, eg : engine that build with, features, user positive commentsā€¦
  • Cross-platform option

+ Sequel Overhaul

• Sequelā€™s Fan base to guarantee minimum sales.
  • If prequel rating too low, harder to sell.
  • Sequel history

+ Finance

• Chance to being a publisher.
  • more bank loan option, other than the now 200 pay back option.

Thanks I GreenHeart for this great game.

A great feature would be adding descriptions to everything. I mean everything. Whatā€™s the difference between 2D Graphics V1 and 2D Graphics V2? What are the meanings of all of these categories? It feels as if all of these objects in the game are simply labels that are stuck on each game released.

I also find it bothersome that I can implement gamepad, joystick, mouse, and 3D Graphics into a TES game. Shouldnā€™t there be hardware and software restrictions based on the console? Yet if I donā€™t implement every technology Iā€™ve researched, the ratings on my games go down. Why is it that more money makes a better game if the money goes into impossible things?

Additionally, I find the UI to look rather cheap, and I often pull up the main menu when trying to select the text box to name the next game Iā€™m developingā€¦

I havenā€™t even reached the end of a single game cycle and these are blatant things Iā€™m finding. This game seems incomplete.

How about when a new console is announced, they will offer developers to make games for it before its release. That way when you finish a game before the console is released, it will become a launch title and gain hype from the new Consoleā€™s pending release. Of course you will also be competing with 1st party launch titles, so make sure you have lots of fans and a shiny new engine before trying.

The unreleased console would be found in the platform menu at the top but instead of a market share percentage, it will have a hype stat.

Variable Timelines would be a low cost addition that can be made through DLC or a patch while adding value to customers.

• Consoles could change in market share or release dates within a
    certain variable range for start/death dates and market share,
    with a tapering effect to early/late market share to give a level of uncertainty.
  • The SNES-CD could have the
    art assets used more than it is now, along with any other unused art
    assets.
  • It could be coded within the current game
    with an added checkbox as an ā€œadvancedā€ mode of play in the options.
  • A less predictable timeline and market share means players will need
    to rethink business strategy to a changing market. The game is more replayable and also adds unpredictability
    real businesses experienced. ā€œDo we buy a
    liscense for this console not knowing if it will be a hit? Will our current platform survive the competition?ā€

Iā€™m oversimplifying the work involved, but it would really expand the replayability by giving a perception that not every game is going to play out the same way. It also allows the program to handle the timeline on its own dynamically, meaning less work but potentially a need for extra testing before release to ensure itā€™s working as intended. However, less or unused art assets could be used in this scenario as well. More bang for the buck already spent on these resources, Iā€™d say.

1- The ability to control the game speed.

2- A little more random events
ex: news from rival developers

3- additional information panel on tech trends and know when to upgrade

4- additional design features when making games
ex: design cover art and add description to make the game standout (does not need to effect salesā€¦just standout)

5- a little more organization in the menu when making squeals

6- price setting ability or products and prediction of income from product

7- add a calendar and a effect of sales when releasing in April or in November

Iā€™d like a randomized reality mode so we wonā€™t know if the Vonny Super TES would fail or not. Itā€™d add some giant screw overs that devs really faced in the industry.

Could we get a mod kit? Iā€™d like to tweek assets and make my own systems or genres or stuff.

Currently i belive, thereā€™s no way to modify this game - so it could be usefull adding interface for developer. So you can add features by your own. Should be possible, doesā€™nt it?

GDT is a good game, but it could do with some updates.

1. Maybe add an option to send all of your employees on vacation all at once.

2. Add some new console designs and a console accessories option.

3. Buy/sell shares to companies, sell shares of your company to other rivals.

4. Add more options to do DLCā€™s, so that if a game is so popular, you can add DLCā€™s to make it one step ahead of other rival games.

For a possible sequel.

1. Maybe you can add/develop a app store for your console.

2. Maybe add/develop smartphones, tablets, touchscreen laptops/PCā€™s.

Here are my suggestion :

1. When working on anything staff should slowly get stat increase. (like +3 total after making a game)

2. Ability to work longer on one phase (double the initial time, cost +50%, effect +20% for instance)

3. Random history mode : A timeline define what elements are developped with a +/- 1 year frame, and random platform are created using part of those elements. Platform quality and playerā€™s game on the platform affect the market share

4. ā€œTo the endā€ option to skip review, G3, experience (no animation, the window show immediatly the result)

5. long time selling : Iā€™m always sad when I see that my game is out of sale when it still sold for 150k the previous week. I thing it should have a system similar to the MMO or a smart way to detect that the game isnā€™t worth selling anymore.

6. Maybe Iā€™m bad at the game, but I always reach the platform history before having done most of the things. Worse case I was still in second office when the last platform was outā€¦ so Iā€™m wondering if game dev shouldnā€™t be a little bit faster (with same point generation)

7. Difficulty options : bring some difficulty options changing review difficulty, fan effect, number of possible user, salaries, starting character and staffā€¦

8. Custom initial character stats. Being able to set the 1200 points like I wish are game start with a limit at 500.

9. More visibility about what made the game great or crap. Something like a technical review at the end of the dev (before release) saying : ā€œgameplay doesnā€™t seem greatā€, ā€œlevel design seems niceā€ā€¦