The lack of 64-bit programs

This is damn 2014. 64-bit should be a must and 32-bit shouldn’t even be sold anymore. The appaling lack of 64-bit is dissapointing and it really limits the performance and innovation of games.

Well…
no.

There are lots of people who don’t need 64 bits, I think that some of them could use 24 bits, but no one makes any 24 bit hardware for users like us.
32 bits are cheaper, and they still can manage 3.9 GB of RAM, so it’s not too bad. I think that 4 gigs are enough.

Of course, there are machines with 256 bit structure, but… you know.

And for the programs…
There aren’t too much of them which would require 64 bit support. Some are limited by the program they are made in. And some are being remade for 64 bits.
I have 64 bit hardware, system, and every application that supports 64 bit. But, I don’t see any change (I mean applications).

Most of them don’t need to be in 64 bits, I think I can easily use 32 bit apps, as long as my hardware/OS supports it. Some people need or want 64 bits. I don’t.

bye.

Holy dam this is longer than my homework.

@Haxor to clear things up…

• 64 bit software handles larger ammounts of ram
  • 64 bit apparently handles ram more effectively
  • 32 bit programs can only handle 2gb of ram each, so not very useful for gaming, just to throw that out there.
  • 64 bit programs apparently have extra security (not sure how, but it apparently does)

I personally agree with @Tyler_Moore because there is definitely no downside to 64 bits, as intel and AMD support 32 bit software on 64 bit architecture. oh and @Haxor … “There aren’t too much of them which would require 64 bit support” i would call a false statement, i would imagine 70% of games would require 64 bits.

Although, this is not my knowledge unfortunately. i just researched it, and here are my sources:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7

Well…
I don’t have too much games from this “era” (last 3-5 years) and I still have 32 bits and they run fine…

1 Like

Thats because they limited a lot of things. Add to much objects and AI and those 2 cores the program can only use is going to reduce performance a lot. Arma is a great example of it, It is an unoptimized mess, the game relies heavily on CPU power and it doesn’t use 64-bit. So large battles will reduce your performance by a large margin.

I just don’t play games like this, so I Don’t really care.

tbh in this day and age… 32-bit windows should be scrapped

I know. Most mainstream laptops and prebuilt desktops now come with 64-bit operating systems.

1 Like

There still are some cheap ass PCs with 32 bit structure…
But yeah, most of them are going 64 bit.

1 Like