Suggestions for Game Dev Tycoon 2

Tell me what you think of this.

1. Add more factors into the score
  2. Improve the game sales formula(So you don’t need to always score 120% of the last game(Make it 200% per year))
  3. Have more control on how the game works(Gameplay).
  4. Be able to decide the cost of a game.
  5. Make all the research and licenses and whatnot cheaper(It just seems more realistic).
  6. Be able to make more than one game at a time(if you have hired enough employees).
  7. Make all the release dates and discontinue dates more accurate.
  8. Add more consoles(CD-i, 3DS, Zeebo etc.).
  9. Be able to work with other companies to make consoles and games.
  10. Be able to buy other companies.
  11. Be able to make DLCs
  12. Have more options for customizing consoles
  13. Be able to port old games to newer consoles
  14. Be able to have a website for your company
  15. Be able to hear suggestions from fans
  16. Be able to customize game fliers and trailers
  17. Be able to play against other companies online made by other players
  18. Be able to help other companies made by other players
  19. Make the game free, and but lock some features unless you pay(custom consoles)
  20. Be able to money from games being pre-ordered
  21. Be able to cancel a game before it’s finished
  22. Be able to customize a logo for your company
  23. Be able to choose how much time you use to make a game.
  24. Be able to rename your game
  25. Be able to rename your company
  26. Be able to make updates for MMO’s

I’ll add more as I think about it. But tell me what you think.

1 Like

More Console are in various mods, and there is already Multi-Platform in game.

The rest is cool.

Launch titles for your own consoles and other consoles would be a cool feature

1. Nice idea, but it should be more of an optional thing.
  2. There are mods for this
  3. You can do that already
  4. Huh?
  5. No, but there can be diffculty settings which define the prices
  6. Makes sense, have multiple games in production if you have idle staff
  7. What, have a calender when you want the game to be discontinued? Cool!!
  8. Mods
  9. Nice idea, do the opposite of the contract work
  10. Been suggested before, but good idea
  11. Been suggested before, but good idea
  12. Define?
  13. You can kinda do that with sequels, but I understand your point
  14. Mods
  15. Its in the game already
  16. The game doesn’t define where the game is released in, so this idea is kinda not needed.
  17. Again, this needs to be optional, I don’t really want to make another advertisment after another.
  18. Been suggested before, but good idea
  19. Been suggested before, but good idea
  20. Huh?
  21. Huh?
  22. Good idea, i hate making a mistake and having to spend 50K because of it
  23. Good idea, but once again, optional
  24. You suggested this before, 7) to be precise
  25. Good idea
  1. Is Incepction

Instead of making sequels (which actually you can do that), maybe we can develop updates for our MMO games. That would be cool.

Improve the game score mechanic like adding competitor or something

I am sick of going bankrupt because I created a great game and no way to score 120% better on my next game. When I upgrade everything and there is no room for improvement, there is just waiting for bankrupt.

I suggest tweaking the expected game score lower every time you or your competitor release a low score game so the the next game will not need such high score and you can survive. In real life if a great strategy game is release, then fans expect the sequel to the game be better. However if 1 or more strategy game is release on sub par standards, the fans expectation should be lower, hence the expected game score should be lower.

For example, you release a 100 design and 100 tech game and get perfect 10 score, then the next game should have 120 design and 120 tech to get the perfect score. But if a sub par game is release by competitor, fans expectation lowered and a 108 design and 108 tech game will be acceptable to get perfect 10 score. Another sub par game and the expected game score will be 97.2 design and 97.2 tech etc.

Also degrade the expected game score with time. If a year has pass and no strategy game is released, then the expected game score will decrease like 10% or something. In real life, if a type of game is not released for a long time, fans of the gene are willing to accept a lower standard and give more hype / pay more when one comes around. See star citizen, more and 35 million crowd-funding now.

Then there is also the idea of great sales even though the game review score is flat rock bottom 1, 1, 1, 1. Imagine in real life, no game is ever release on the PC for one whole year!!! People will be desperate and buy any games even with the abysmal reviews. Then there will be the option to bribe reviewer to jack up the review or do the opposite to the competitor review. Then there can be an option to sacrifice some fans to jack up / down, the game. Get some die hard fans to troll the other forums or give their own modified review. Some fans don’t like the sabotage and stop being your fan.

I think all this can be done by adding some modifier to the expected game score. The following is taken from the success guide in the wiki

Target_Score = Top_Score + Top_Score_Modifier,
where Top_Score_Modifier is:

if (not in garage) and (Top_Score - 2nd_Top_Score) > (0.2 Top_Score)
then 0.2 Top_Score
else whichever is greater:
Top_Score - 2nd_Top_Score
or
0.12 * Top_Score

Meaning, Target_Score can range from 112.5% to 120% of your Top_Score, depending on how your Top Score compares to your 2nd Top Score.

By adding some modifier to reduce / increase the target score (temporary by bribe / sabotage) and top score (permanent by latest game that are better / suck) it may be easy for you to code. I did not see the code myself so what I am suggesting is base on my guess

Sorry for bumping this thread! :confused: Cough Anyways I have some new suggestions:

1. Being able to place some unique and revolutionary features in your consoles. This involves doing a long and maybe expensive research, which has to be kept secret from other companies. This research should become available in the R&D or Hardware lab after exploring such possibilities, i.e like how you need to explore Internet possibilities to actually be able to do the Grid project. The 2nd stage will be actually developing and experimenting prototypes of the “new” hardware. It would be great if some random chance of something going wrong was implemented. Anyways, the 3rd and final stage is implementing the result in a new console. The console announcement should make the press abuzz, which is pretty cool.

2. Being able to develop ports, remakes, Special Editions, and Collector Editions for games. This would be a very cool option, especially if one would be able to control the budget for Collector Editions( e.g those things are packaged specially, with artwork, manuals, wallpapers, etc. included) which would add some realism and dynamic reactions from the reviewers, fans and media.

3. The ability to make and manage tournaments for Large, AAA and/or MMO games, in order to keep the fans hooked to the game. Again, it would be nice if one is able to control the budget for maintaining these tournaments. It would also be cool if one is able to implement special rules/features for these tournaments(again, this is included in the budget part).

4. The function of negotiation with a movie/cartoon/anime/series/TV show owner and making a game based on the former. Possible concepts for this idea are: The owner of the original product in question getting a percentage of the profit, with the players negotiation skills included in the calculation.

5. Dynamic Feature mechanic: What I mean here is showing custom engine features based on game genre, for example, you wouldn’t need a rich backstory for a casual game, would you? For this one you can even make an update including it, I mean, how hard could it be? Anyways, I respect whatever decision this company makes. Cheers!

The development of Game Dev Tycoon is essentially done. Any further updates will only be bugfixes, and all new ideas and features are to be expected for the sequel.

I know, but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to add a little feature, anyways, I have a feeling the sequel is going to absolutely ROCK. Even though that there aren’t many games [I know] in the Game Dev genre, the existing ones are at worst better than average. Sorry for the off topic talk btw.

That is one hell of a necro! :open_mouth: