[SOLVED] Cannot read property 'experience' of null on codeNw.js: 1713

So, I’m working on expanding the number of topics quite a bit and I encountered this lovely error:

Error Uncaught error. Please report this to support@greenheartgames.com: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘experience’ of null (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:1713) Please restart the game.

Happens only when using the mod files at this link: https://github.com/Zanaras/7G-GDT-Mod-Suite/tree/master/Research-Mod

I’ve looked it over myself and can’t find anything.

If it helps, it aims to add 59 new research items, with 27 of them being locked to specific groupings so you can only choose one at a time. Also, it loads through startup fine, it’s only after that you make your company and character that you encounter that error. Using or not using hints doesn’t make a difference. And clearing local storage doesn’t make a difference, either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Alright, so I figured this out. Took a break, came back, sat down, systematically started adding and removing things.

“‘experience’ of null” is encountered when the game is looking for the level of something that doesn’t have a level, namely when you mistype something in the code of a mod.

How to fix, on the chance someone in the future encounters this error (because I couldn’t find an answer anywhere):

The game-recognized categories are: “Dialogs” “AI” “Level Design” “Gameplay” “Engine” “Story/Quests” “Sound” “Graphic” and “World Design”.

When the game is looking for a category that doesn’t exist, you get the error experience of null error. To correct this, ensure that anywhere you reference a category it is one of the nine listed. Commonly, this will be mis-spellings of “Dialogs” or “AI”. AI sometimes has periods added, and dialogs is spelled “D-I-A-L-O-G-U-E-S” in game for some reason.

2 Likes

good work and thanks for sharing your insights for other modders! Apologies for the Dialogues inconsistency.