SMT scrapped for now - New project

Ok, i have officially lost quite a bit of interest in working on SMT - Main reasons include frustration, boredom and a general loss of interest.

However, i have found a new “passion”. The passion being a game called Uplink, a game released in 2001 about hacking. I know, there is a already an “updated version” made, and as far as i know, is still being updated. This is called Onlink.

Personally, i hate the UI for both, it’s just so… plain, and the dark blue and black combination hurts my eyes.

Anyway, a main reason i lost love in SMT was having to make my own art… The UI was fine, but damn, it takes time to make the graphics for SMT.

However, i will be able to incorporate some systems straight off the bat, because they already existed in SMT

Either way, i’m going to make a attempt game similar to to uplink. The only hassle may be “simulating” stock markets, random bank accounts, random passwords, random balance transfer which generate a mission, etc.

That’s all for now, will do more work Tuesday 23rd

Some concept art:

4 Likes

Seems good enough until you realize yoU’RE NOT USING THE MERCATOR PROJECTION SO THAT INDONESIA DOESN’T APPEAR IN YOUR MAP WHY MAN WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU

3 Likes

Hehe, or it just blends in with the text and background, @WaveJones?

1 Like

tiny nitpick but something devs should totally not overlook

1 Like

True… Although i did’t make the map from scratch :stuck_out_tongue: It’s a open source one i found somewhere, i’ll just plop a few dots in the shape of island around there shall i, @WaveJones? :stuck_out_tongue:

(not sure if this shows all of them or not, look at the one in bottom left)Edit:

1 Like

Nah no need to make such a bigdeal from it. I’m just an a-hole.

Alright, so I think this is gonna be a game about multiple hackers around the world that use hacking to their advantage to make the world a better place. Correct me if I am wrong.

Not necessarily, you could be a black hat or white hat hacker, the types of jobs you accept will change what your reputation is, and it may adapt the type of jobs you get given, but I haven’t decided on that yet.

A story line may be incorporated in the game, which the player may be involved in, but involvement isn’t required.

Cool. You can also make a choice concept, the choices will change the ending. But I don’t know if that would be alot of work.

1 Like

I will attempt it, but I’ve got a lot of work in for me… Trying to understand algorithms to simulate a stock market is already looking difficult

yesyeyyeysyyeysyey
now, just do it

(go away Shia)

1 Like

I’m going to start on setting up the “simulation” of some things…

Stock Market - Stocks decline and rise based on hacks, for example, if you hit a company, such as microsft wit ha virus, or leak a bank’s customers financial details, their stock will decline… for making their stocks grow i’m not too sure about yet. going to start analysing how this works.

Reputation - black-hat, neutral, white-hat

Other hackers - Other hackers will be simulated, in the fact logs are left behind, they damage stocks, they can be damaged by your actions. Hackers will have their own identity, but their identity must be found. these identities will not be random, and will be the same every time. There’s going to be a database of 1250 people, all with bank accounts, their own passwords, aliases, etc. this will be simulated by a XML “database”. about 250 of these people will be hackers, and if you want to spend the time, you can screw ALL of them over… You can change the global criminal database and authorise their arrest, Dos attacks on their machine or infect their machine with a deadly virus.

Other things:

In uplink, i found once you did a “trace a recent transfer and find out who did it” jobs, you hit the jackpot.(it would always be a transfer of 500K +, you would get the account details also). you would have to break in to the account, transfer the money to your own account and deletes all logs and transfer statements, and then, you had beat the game, you could buy ALL of the best software and hardware. you then had nothing left to achieve. I want to add more destruction. i plan on adding bids for malicious software, which can reach into the tens of millions. i also want to make it so you can hire people to make software for you rather than buy it, which will result in having better things than any other hacker, the market will only sell the 2nd best available version of the software you want, the best version requires you to hire someone to create it. this software may be used, or sold for high prices. you can also pay people to develop malware for you.

Anyway, these are my ideas for now. proper development will probs start after new year.

Do you program this in C# with the XML Libraries, or do you just put it in the game?

Other than that, this idea is great. I do not see any cons. Maybe some improvements, but the rest is fine.

@Lukas_Schuurman

Construct 2 has the ability to read XML files as far as i’m aware. If that doesn’t work though, the values could be put in just using a mass amount of values in construct 2, a json file for each person could work also, i suppose. then if that doesn’t work, i’ll resort to massive arrays/ using a dictionary thingy

Thanks for explaining that :wink:

@Rex0099 I’m gonna give u a little tip.
Don’t use XML or even CSV in C2 if you have a lot of data in file (even if u split it on parts), really.
Game will have massive lag at start and can stay forever like this, better use .json which is a lot of faster and doesn’t lags a lot or takes a lot of CPU use like XML or CSV.

@Haxor can confirm this.

Feel free to ask.

1 Like

thanks for the advice, @iSenzo

@iSenzo would making a event sheet and putting variables under groups be a viable option? (each group being a different person)

@Rex0099 yes, but it all depends on what you want to do.

Example:

Remember that variables in groups can be used only in group and can’t be used outside it.
So that’s why you see that same variables in other groups.

1 Like

what Shia
if it is Shia the actor then ok
if it is the other one theeeeeeeen