Shutting down the Community Expansion Pack

This post is overdue. We are pulling the plug on the community expansion pack for now.

We were hoping that by formalizing a team, the project would gain momentum and the team would rally around the idea and organize themselves. As we stated originally, we think self-management of the team is crucial for this project to work.

Sadly, despite us trying to prod from time to time, the past month has seen very little activity and communication has come to a complete standstill.

We always said that a paid DLC would only work, if the DLC is of very high quality. At this stage, I just can’t see that this could succeed in a reasonable time trame and I think it’s our responsibility to set expectations with the community.

Modding is a labor of love and given that modders are doing this as a hobby, working on something that isn’t likely going to succeed is not going to do anyone any favors.

The recent experiments on Steam with paid mods has also shown how little support there is for this type of thing from the general community. Something we can’t ignore.

We also found out that publishing our code on github is more involved than initially expected and given the lack of activity from modders and the substantial work still involved from our side, I think it’s better to shelve this idea and for us to continue focussing our energy on Game#2.

This was an experiment and while we are ultimately not going ahead with this, I’d still like to thank everyone who engaged with this idea.

The next months will be very busy for us but we are all looking forward to talking more about our next project.

2 Likes

Weren’t we waiting on you guys to organize the legal side of things before we start? At least, that’s what I thought.

Before implementation starts, yes but we opened a ce-team only part of the forum to facilitate planning and discussion of goals. There is a lot of design work necessary to organize a team, even before any of the coding can happen.

I should have also mentioned that the majority of the modders involved in the community expansion have agreed that shutting it down is the right thing to do.

Whatever, I’ve never really played GDT with mods anyways.

What Noooooooooooo

3 Likes

too bad

1 Like

7 Likes

Atleast u tried. R.I.P the mod that I was waiting since then