Question: Piracy % today?

On your blog, you posted that on day 1, you had a 93% piracy rate with over 3000 copies pirated.

I’m curious: What does that look like today? I’m not asking for exact sales figures, but after the tweak to the game became public, I’m curious how many of those pirates went legit, and how many more people saw the news about the pirated copies and decided to just flat out buy the legit game?

I myself never touched a pirated version. I went Demo > Purchase in the span of an hour. But I’ll admit that I heard about this game first from those articles mocking the pirates who pirated the game.

6 Likes

I found out about this game from youtube and looked it up on google and found that there was a demo so i played the demo.Then i decided to buy it.

1 Like

Same with me. I first heard about the game from the article about the pirates, but it wasn’t until I saw a Let’s Play of it on youtube that I actually had the motivation to check it out for myself.

1 Like

Same too, see a news about the piracy on the game, and bought it ! And I don’t regret it. Also, your question is clever, do pirats have a sense if humor ?

1 Like

Ya, their tactics against piracy ended up being fairly good marketing for this game, as that was the first I heard of this game on some gaming news site.
Like others here, I purchased the game after seeing a Let’s Play of it on youtube. (ZeRoyalViking’s)
It would be interesting to see the new numbers after time has now passed.

1 Like

I will admit I have pirated a couple games 2 to be exact and when I saw Game Dev Tycoon on YouTube I really liked the game so I went on the website I saw the game was £6, I went on google and searched “Game Dev Tycoon Crack” but I don’t know why but I went back on the website on bought the game, without even trying to get a crack glad I did! :slight_smile:

(That is the truth never install a cracked version of the game)

P.S the cracked games I have are Rollercoster Tycoon 2 and one was a software which is screenflow

1 Like

I bought the game yesterday, and I have to wait 6 business days before I get my download link.

In 6 business days’ time I’m moving to another continent, and I’m gonna be away from home for 3 months, so I will not be able to play the game at all.

The pirated version however is free, and instantly available. You you may guess whether I’m using a pirated version or not!

@TNZ I might add that if you buy via paypal or credit card the delivery is almost instantaneous. It’s not our fault that banks take so long for transfers to be verified.

3 Likes

“Almost” instantaneous my ass. It takes on average three point six seconds for a credit card transaction to get authorized. 3.6 SECONDS!!!11111111
Thats far from instantaneous.

3 Likes

@PatrickKlug

Sure but I don’t have a credit card, and I don’t use paypal either, because where I live we have other systems to pay instantly.

I’m not saying it’s your fault. This is just the number one problem for game and software companies. It’s simply easier and more convenient to use pirated versions. For small companies like yourselves it’s probably not feasible to solve this problem, as you could (and will) get on Steam and use their solution.

At first I wanted to wait for the Steam version, but I thought let’s see how this goes.

@TNZ it still is not a good excuse to not pay for a game at all. Out of curiosity what system do you normally use to pay? We might be able to support this in the future.

2 Likes

It’s called ‘iDEAL’. I think I’ve heard rumors about it becoming the official online European payment system.

And I did pay, I’m waiting for the download link. Still 5 days remaining I guess.

Bank Transfer is something we offer for people who don’t have credit cards, debit cards or paypal.
It is not the best payment method by far but for people who don’t have other means its better than nothing.

Banks state that it takes a minimum of 3 working days, thats monday to friday only, and not including if you place your order at 6 pm Wednesday, that counts as Thursday. Also allow for different banks having different rules, conversion rates and of course different countries.

Steam however, offers;
Credit / Debit Card
PayPal
WebMoney
iDeal
PaySafeCard
MoPay
Moneybookers
Sofortüberweisung / DIRECTebanking.com
Russian Terminals / Kiosks
Wallet / In Game Transactions

So the fact we “only” offer Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express and PayPal. In some locations,bank transfer. will be solved shortly.

Yes, once again I’m not criticizing you, I know how hard this is. I’m only trying to explain where the piracy percentages might come from, and I think once you get on Steam this problem is going to be largely solved, IF you still have the ‘hype’ going on by that time.

As for the hype, I discovered this game on Youtube because shenryy played it and it seemed fun to me. By the time it gets on Steam there should be a reason for people like quill18 and shenryy to stream it again.

1 Like

you may want to check the availability of prepaid credit cards at your location/in your country,
those work just like prepaid cell phone cards,
deposit as much as you want, then use them as regular visa/mastercards anywhere(though most of them are “virtual”/only work with electronic/online transactions…those are readily available within the EU and some other 80 countries…last time I checked)

1 Like

i read about the piracy, without this news i nevear heard about this game. then i buy the game instant without play the demo.

i support this guys !

1 Like

I just read about the blog post from greenheart via a linkedin post, i loled and went straight to this homepage and bought the game. =)

//cheers

1 Like

The thread is interesting and all, but what about those numbers?
How many % are pirates after all?

1 Like

I’d be curious to hear the numbers as well, actually. According to the email I got this morning Piracy is still more common than a paying customer, but I have to figure the numbers are much closer together based on the other news in the newsletter.

Also, I am one of the ones that bought the game after learning about the piracy thing, but in truth a game like this is one I’ve been craving for ages, and I didn’t even know it was in the works. I didn’t even see a lets play or anything else, I just went straight for the game and bought it, and without that piracy gimmick, I’d have never even known about it.

1 Like

Made me lol :smile:
We are very busy at the moment but im sure @PatrickKlug will check in when he can.

The demographics aren’t as cut and dried, some countries pirate more than others because of cultural differences, availability, socio economic climates etc

So you can give a %, but by itself it doesn’t mean as much as when its broken down.

3 Likes