Project Spartan anyone?

Hmmm?

Doesn’t look so bad.
I might switch to it, because Chrome is eating my hard drive if I use any other program.
Take look at this:

It’s a Win 10 build with early Spartan browser.

In my opinion, ugly as fuu. You guys are aware its just IE with another skin right? Oh, and they’ve made a new layout manager. And… No, I think thats it.

I would agree with @Stian here, don’t bother with Spartan.
Just don’t
Firefox FTW

Well IE is fast and works great on systems with small RAM. Only thing that is wrong with the browser is the name (people think that IE == bad).
(I’m talkng about >9 versions, older versions were absolute garbage)

I use IE as my primary browser. I have chrome too, but i use that only for testing my websites. Sure it’s great that the page takes 56ms to load instead of 57ms on IE, but the RAM usage is really high.

Only good thing about chrome is the V8 javascript engine (Node-Webkit FTW :smile:) , which is really fast.

Btw. Many people don’t know this, but IE is the only browser that has full hardware acceleration (rendering pages with GPU , …). chrome uses GPU only for web-gl and video playback.

TL;DR:
I don’t want to start flamewar, but I hate when people automatically say that IE is bad. Spartan is in fact renamed IE and that’s good.

EDIT: Wow, that’s a long post :smiley:

2 Likes

I will agree somewhat with @janch32 aswell
Over the past few years, Microsoft have been really getting their act together in terms of IE, but it is still nowhere near as good as it’s competitors (Chrome, Firefox etc)

Metro UI.

In my opinion it’s way better than IE 11, it’s simple and fast.

I’ve saw another video when a guy navigated to google and it wasn’t that slow.
But you know.
It was one site.

And at least it doesn’t take 5 seconds to launch, because it’s built in the OS.

1 Like

Can you elaborate? I’m not defending chrome, just genuinely curious…

I have had bad experiences with Firefox… Chrome to me is sleek, fast and more compatible for my lifestyle. I’ve never had problems with Chrome damaging hardware or taking up too much space. I feel like, with the other browsers, there are popups and ads everywhere. They seem very virus-prone. Never have I had that problem with Chrome.

EDIT: Okay… Maybe I was defending Chrome :stuck_out_tongue:

So I did a bit of a research and I found some interesting graphs. It looks like the new “Edge” engine is really better than standard engine that is in IE 11.

These graps are taken from this article
(Original is in czech language, but I translated it)

Javascript benchmark (huge improvement from IE 11)

Battery usage (it’s ± the same as IE11)

CPU usage (small improvement, but it’s awesome how lightweight it is compared to chrome)

These tests include things such as watching 1080p video, multiple tabs, loading websites and light 3D webapps (like maps or webgl games)

I meant that it’s doing something with ma hard drive even when it’s idle, the task manager just says that it’s using 0.1 - 0.4 MB/s and 750 MB of RAM

@janch32 does that mean it’s good…?

And btw. you are Czech?

You see, @janch32 - the problem is that Mac and Linux :wink: Plus, I really don’t care about RAM usage. I have never gotten over my 8 gigs.

cough cough Firefox addon… cough cough

Google translate.

Yes I know, I’m just asking…
He still could be.

Yes, I live in Czech republic.