Please Help. Error Alert

I cant play my copy of GDT. I installed a couple of mods from the workshop to add a few more topics, and genres. Some are in russian, so i uninstall them, and they are still there. I uninstalled the entire game, downloaded a fresh copy and now after making a name for the company and my character, a big red lined block appears.

!!Error Alert
TypeError: Cannot read property íd’of null
Enabled Mods:
No mods activated
Gamer version 1.5.28
Platform: Windows
Distribution: Steam

I can X out from the red lined box, back to the menu where you enter your name, but once i hit Continue, the red lined box is back and nothing can happen past this. So I exit the game and get this message.
Uncaught node.js Error

TypeError: Cannot read property ‘id’ of null
at Object.TopicsSerializer.save (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:1711:293)
at eval (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:222:451)
at Array.map (native)
at a.save (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:222:411)
at Object.b.save (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:83:499)
at Object.b.autoSave (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:89:198)
at Window.eval (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:157:84)
at Window.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:92:17)
at Window.init.Window.handleEvent (window_bindings.js:148:13)
at IDWeakMap.global.__nwObjectsRegistry.handleEvent (node.js:789:26)

Been a few days now and Id really like to resolve the issue. Please help.
All solutions on the topic dont resolve the issue with an uninstall. Ive done that twice.

Just so you know… If you enable mods for a save, play that save, and then disable mods for that save, you can risk the corruption of that save. And there isn’t really much you can do once a save is corrupt except move on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, try following these steps:

1. Open Steam
  2. Go to your Steam library
  3. Right-click on Game Dev Tycoon
  4. Then click “Properties”
  5. In the above tabs of the properties window, click on “Local Files”
  6. Click on “Verify integrity of game files…”
  7. Reply to me with the results

It says “All files successfully validated”.
I get to ‘continue’ and this

Error Alert

If the issue persists please report this error to support@greenheartgames.com

Enabled Mods:

No mods activated.
Game Version: 1.5.28

Platform: Windows

Distribution: Steam

when i exit out, this

Uncaught node.js Error

at Object.TopicsSerializer.save (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:1711:293)
at eval (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:222:451)
at Array.map (native)
at a.save (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:222:411)
at Object.b.save (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:83:499)
at Object.b.autoSave (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:89:198)
at Window.eval (file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Game%20Dev%20Tycoon/compressed/codeNw.js:157:84)
at Window.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:92:17)
at Window.init.Window.handleEvent (window_bindings.js:148:13)
at IDWeakMap.global.__nwObjectsRegistry.handleEvent (node.js:789:26)

Do you get this error when you load up your save or when you start the game?

If this error occurs when you load a save than try starting a new save. The save could be corrupt cause of the mods being installed and than uninstalled. If the errors occur right as you start up the game than please try deleting Game Dev Tycoon, and than installing it again.

I get something similar, WickedJedi.
In my case, I have zero mods installed, ever. The problem seems to be related to saving. When the autosave fires, I get the error and the game locks up. Sometimes, if I go into the menu and fiddle with things (like checking to make sure I’ve never bothered with mods) the game will work until the next autosave attempt. When exited and re-launched, it goes to the autosave prior to the errors cropping up.
Local files’ integrity verified. Build 914658.

@WickedJedi @Tarot

What version of Windows are you running? And do either of you have saves you really care about?

wow thats weird. I deleted my saved game and it works fine now.

(edit) wait no. it dosnt. I can get past the name company part, but I cant resume a saved game. So the game is now effectively a rogue lite. I can only advance, not resume.

Windows 7

I would go into AppData and delete your entire “Game Dev Tycoon” save data folder and then reinstall the game

I would check to see if cloud saves is on for the game. Sometimes having cloud storage for the saves can mess stuff up. Just right click on the game and select “properties” than go to the cloud tab and see if its enabled or not.

Tried disabling cloud saves, uninstalling, deleting local files in Explorer and then re-installing. Started a new game. After I get to the campus office is when it seems to happen.

Your not subscribed to any mods? And none are enabled?

Hmm… could be a problem with your computer. Maybe windows needs to be reinstalled. Maybe .net could have something to do with it…

Maybe go to the options of the GDT and disable auto saving if that is an option. You can see if auto saving is the problem… You can see if manually saving would work.

So, funny story…I played the game through once with no hints. Now I’ve played through twice with no errors. Go figure. In doing so, I also overwrote a 3 year old saved game file. And I kept the game in tiny window mode. Dunno if any of those mattered, but no more crashing as yet. That’s with cloud saves disabled, still.

I have an error as where when ever i attempt to open a new game or anything is always says html5 preloader not defined