PC Build Thread

Hey guys, a few of you GHG veterans will remember me, I haven’t been very active on here anymore.

But I want to “revive” myself, so my first topic back is this:

What is your PC build, did you build it, and what is cool about it?

I’ll start with mine:

i5 3570k
CoolerMaster 212 EVO CPU Cooler
8GB RAM
MSI Z77MA-G45 motherboard (Has horrible coil whine on the chokes, but got it to go away by playing with bios)
Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
SeaSonic 660W Platinum PSU (The best PSU model you can buy on the market, got it super cheap, brand new)
NZXT S340

EDIT** Forgot to add what makes mine “special”. I’ve only spent about $300 on this certain build. I have traded and such to make this the ultimate budget build.
Will take pictures in a bit and show it off. So, what are in your builds?

Funny you mention this. I am actually starting a new build. I am deciding between two builds (build 1 and build 2). Is the i7 really worth the extra money? At this point, I am almost positive I am going to purchase the first build.

I plan on buying the parts after the the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 are released, so then the price will be lower on the GTX 970.

Huh. During my old days when I was twelve, I used to be very picky about PC parts on a gaming PC on a pre-built gaming PC / Workstation website. I used to pick too much PC parts on a computer and order them illegally. Not just one PC, but ALL AT FUCKING ONCE. Then I stopped being picky about them because I realized how illegal that was. I completely learned my lesson and not to buy them illegally.

Anyways, I’m planning to start my first PC build soon. I’m using pcpartpicker.com for the new build rather than newegg.com. How I discovered pcpartpicker.com is that one of my “Anime Fetishists” steam friends told me about that website. I’m probably going to ask one of my “Anime Fetishists” friends on Steam to order the PC parts if my steam would stop crashing on trying to sign in. If not, I’ll just have to buy it by myself.

I wouldn’t buy Skylake because Skylake wouldn’t run on Windows 7, my favorite OS. But I slightly like Windows 8.1 more. The GTX 1070 and 1080 are coming out soon, but either way, I’m going to plan on buying either the GTX 960, the 970, the 980, or the 980 Ti.

Also, when I choose the DDR3-2400 RAM with the ASUS Z97-A motherboard, and it notes me that it will not work. Is that false positive?

And finally, it looks pretty hard to choose a cool-looking computer case that is underpriced. But for some reason, I can’t show the examples, because I’m so lazy as fuck xd

Not really in my opinion. It does if you’re rendering a lot, but in most cases, you’d have a 2011 socket i7 instead of the 1151.

It has to do with max supported speed probably, either with the motherboard or CPU, although I think that motherboard supports up to like 3000+

And I love my case, but ever since I got into PC’s years ago, I never was into the “trend”, just like how RGB is the new trend, I still like my simple black/white cases.

My s340 is blue and matte black to match my motherboard and such.

This is my build. I build it a few weeks ago. You guys are probably familiar with the ‘AMD Athlon X4 860k/GTX 750 ti 2GB’ combo, I chose the Superclocked version of the GTX 750 ti because it has better shader quality.

TF2, highest settings, 8X MSAA: 100-200-300 FPS (Depends on the map)
CS:GO, highest settings, 8X MSAA: 160-200-240 FPS
Borderlands, highest settings, No MSAA option: 30-46-62 FPS (It doesn’t go higher than the 62/60 FPS lock)
Software Inc, highest settings, all shaders to the max, FXAA on: 50-60-61 FPS
XCOM: Enemy Unknown, highest settings: 60-103-146 FPS
Minecraft Tekkit, draw distance 13: 40-130-220 FPS
Minecraft, draw distance 13: 60-180-300 FPS (It reaches 1100 FPS on lowest settings XD)

I was like ‘Holy shait’ when I saw this performance, but maybe other people with the same specs get lower fps because they have Skype installed and didn’t turn of some of their Computer Services and startup applications.

This is why I got a console.

Why did you got a console rather than building a custom PC?

1 Like

I traded my PS4 for more computer parts and turned that around and made $600 lol.

1. Can’t afford it, especially when the AUD/USD is bad.

2. I prefer console controls.

3. Friends have consoles.

4. Consoles are a lot more, how should I say this, simplistic and convenient.

5. I also don’t have a desk.

1. That’s a good point, so I’d look at used hardware. That’s how I built a 1440p/4k beast for the price of a ps4/xbone.
  2. Can use a controller on PC :stuck_out_tongue:
  3. Good point, one reason I plan on getting a xbox when Forza Horzion 3 comes out, to play with my friends on xbox.
  4. Not exactly true, you can easily get a simple computer
  5. Don’t need a desk :stuck_out_tongue: Get a tiny case the size of a console and put it where your console is.

My Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300 6 Core @ 3.5GHz
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 280x @ OC’d to 1125 MHz
RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Case: Bitfenix Comrade Midi Tower
HDD: 1TB WD Red
SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo

I built it myself, and it’s cool because I don’t need to put my heating on in the winter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 Like

Oh you’re not saying what I think you’re saying ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3 Likes

AMD = Heat
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2 Likes

huehuehuehuehue ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 Like

And now you are a big thirteen year old. Wow, it’s been so long… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I wonder, In CPUs, is Intel better than AMD CPUs or is AMD CPUs better than Intel? And in GPUs, is Nvidia better than AMD, or is AMD GPUs better than Nvidia? Because about 25/100 gaming PCs are Intel and Nvidia based, and I want to know which is better and which is not. This might be and obvious question though…

Intel and nVidia are better than AMD

Intel is miles ahead of AMD right now, not because AMD sucks, but because their newest chips are literally 3 years older than Intel’s.

Now with AMD vs nVidia, it really comes down to a tie. nVidia has let AMD tie them and somewhat get beat because they can’t seem to do good drivers anymore. And in DX12, AMD really takes the lead in performance.

1 Like

Speaking of custom PC’s, does anyone here play games such as Rust, and Unturned? If so maybe we could all play.

1 Like

I play games, pretty obvious. But I don’t want to play with you. Nothing about me being lazy or anything, I just don’t wanna play.