Need Help Creating Mods

About a year or two ago I made a mod for myself called NekoMasters Super Platform Addon Mod (or NM SPAM) that added a bunch of realistic consoles like many other mods, which I rather enjoyed playing with.
Though somewhere along the way I seem to have lost the mod and I can’t find any back ups of NM SPAM (and I never uploaded the mod as it was unfinished)

So I’m trying to get back into Game Dev Tycoon and modding but it would seem things have changed since I last played and modded the game as nothing I try seems to work.

I tried reusing some code from other mods to get started making a new mod but even though the game loads just fine and I can enable the mod, nothing I’ve added shows up in game, not even the notification I added that’s suppose to appear when you start a new game to let players know they have my mod installed and enabled.
I also tried the Ultimate Mod Editor and while that will load ingame once again nothing shows up that I added in game as if the mod was never enabled (even though it is)

I’m hoping that maybe someone can help me set up some code I can use as a template. I like to keep things separate and organized. You can see this below (or look at the zip file of the folder set up via this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/bakduzyesetdf96/NM_SPAM.zip?dl=0 )

(main folder)
\mods\NM_SPAM

• \NM_SPAM\images
    ++ \images\platforms
    ++ \images\events

• \NM_SPAM\source
    ++ \source\events.js
    ++ \source\platforms.js
    ++ \source\topics.js

• \NM_SPAM\main.js
  • \NM_SPAM\package.json

I’d appreciate it if someone could help me figure out how to code again so I can add platforms and topics to the game like I did before. I find it easier to learn how to code when I have something to work with so it’d be nice if someone could lend me some code I can work with as a template for adding platforms.

Can you send me your mod, so I can take a look?

NVM didn’t see the link

Try this one, it should work, I haven’t tested it because I don’t currently have GDT on my pc

The GDT Mod API is a mod template itself. Check the mods folder for “gdt-modAPI”.

You can always use the Modding Wiki for guidance.

I tried using your code to set up some stuff, and while I finally got the mod to load and actually add some consoles (the Itari 2600 and Itari 5200) I can’t get the pictures to work no matter what combination of URI/Address I use for the image location.

EDIT : I figured out how to add simple events/notifications to tell players the mod has been installed as well as the release and discontinuation of consoles. Still my issue with images not loading remains (both notifications and platforms have no picture)

I’ve tried many things now to get the images to load but nothing I type in for the URI works.

Heres what I have so far (Dropbox Download Link) https://www.dropbox.com/s/0okb5qhzfwgc1ck/NM_SPAM_with_2_Consoles.zip?dl=0

For the image paths do:
’./mods/NM_SPAM/source/img/platform/image.png’

However, your mod is breaking the modding agreement:

Your mod contains trademarks/copyrighted material from Atari, Microsoft, Playstation, Nintendo, and so on. Additionally, you just recolor some of the in-game assets and redistribute them.

If you’re gonna use copyrighted material, you must have “written consent.” If you use assets from the game, you can only reference them in the code. You cannot redistribute them through your mod’s folder.

Well if anything I don’t really plan on uploading this mod for the general public. Plus there are a bunch of other mods out there that have included real life consoles and I don’t see those mods getting pulled.

Besides, the platforms in Game Dev Tycoon closely resemble real life consoles.

Also the images may change over time as I find alternative images that look closer to Game Dev Tycoons art style. I may even just try doing it all my self but it takes a lot of time for me to do something like that.

@chizbejoe he isn’t breaking the rules, because if he was, then almost every mod on the market would have gotten removed

I do believe I saw that about not adding real life stuff into the game but I think that more covers just blatent copies of real life stuff.

In my mod I’m going with parodies of names and as I go through my mod, I’m removing Logo’s and icons to the best of my abilities and even modifying some platforms to have them better fit with the vanilla GDT platforms (like changing up the buttons on PLaystation consoles to make them look more like Playsystem consoles)

@LaborinjoRt @nekomaster

Doesn’t make it legal. People get away with murder, doesn’t make it right (it’s an extreme example, but you get what I mean).

The modding agreement clearly talks against it. Even though Greenheart Games has been loose about it, doesn’t mean we should break the rules anyways. Additionally, it’s illegal even outside of the modding agreement.

I’m sure that almost all those images are copyrighted, not just because they contain trademarks, but because they also belong to whoever took the picture.

The platforms in Game Dev Tycoon parody real life consoles.

If you’re gonna find images on the web, make sure they are copyright free. There are a lot of copyright free images you can use for platforms, and you can also add various Photoshop effects/filters to make them a little more like GDT’s art style.