Multiplayer Ideas and what can be included

If GreenHeart ever decide to add a multiplayer to Game Dev Tycoon then I think that these features will be great.

1. Your company works with a friends (some way of finding people specifically needed) and you support each other. Sending money if needed researching something together. Or even creating parts of a game together. It would be like a joint venture.
  2. There could be betrayal (Breaking into the other company and stealing technology).
  3. Then there could be competative mode. First it could be which every company makes the most money in 15 years. The other idea could be for the next 15 years you work against a company who ever has had the best games in total (All rating and all games averaged for each company) then they win. Then there could be you are two competing companys like Sony and Nintendo back in the games age.
  4. There could also be team battles (very short because mroe chance of someone leaving 10 years) which ever two companies make the most money.
  5. When I say two companies working together I mean that they support each other in a way that give money to each other give workers to each other can advertise for each other. It can be so that friends help each other and can do some of the things the player can do by themselves.
  6. But there is one thing. If a glitch is found then the players can give the money or whatever they earned by that glitch into the multiplayer world. So I am saying when you join a multiplayer game your current company gets copied into a special multiplayer save file area.
  7. Offline mode. If the person does not have internet or just does not want to play multiplayer there should be an option where he gets to do this VS an AI.
1 Like
  1. Competing for market shares. Timing your releases would be crucial.
  2. Stealing ‘good’ staff members by offering them higher salaries.
  3. Industrial espionage. Of course with risk of getting caught, sued and bankrupted.
  4. Trademarking titles and being able to sue if competing titles are too similar. Including game name.
  5. Pricing your own games! You could dump prices to gain market shares for a greater net profit.
  6. Building hype and taking pre-orders before game development starts. Better make sure quality is top notch, or customers will never buy your stuff again.
  7. Teaming up against AI players or other human team.
  8. Shady business. Pay off reviewers to give competitors lower ratings.

I think there should be pretty straight forward cooperative and competitive modes.

In Co-op, there should be no betrayal, instead with both players working together as part of the same team for a better goal.

In Comp, betrayal should be as easy as clicking a button and spending a hefty sum of money. Receiving betrayal should open up a window asking what to do about it, and after a randomized number of attempts, have a chance that you could actually send the police to investigate the other company, leading to a massive loss in profit.

Co-op should be anywhere from 2 to 4 players, each able to control their own offices, just like in Single Player, but they all share a community office pot for cash, R&D, Hardware, and Research points.

Comp should be anywhere from 4 players to 16 players, each one able to come and go as needed. Limits set on number of betrayals that can be given to any particular player in a specific window, and the more you sabotage other businesses, the more likely you’ll be busted. Perhaps getting busted leads to instant bankruptcy and a pop-up message mentioning that the CEO has been seen leaving their building in handcuffs.

Team Battles would be somewhat like Co-op, but combined with Comp. Something like 2-4 players per office, 2-6 offices battling it out.

Multiplayer saves need to be stored on a separate location than the Client machine. There would be too much temptation for people to cheat.

Yes guys these are all super ideas please post more and like more to get the developers to see this because I really want this added into the same. Continue posting new ideas and this will be noticed do not stop :).

They already confirmed to not add multiplayer yet.

Thats why this is for future ideas. We are not saying ADD IT NOW but saying these are our ideas. And as you can see there are some good ideas on this forum right now :smiley:. I hope that this post will make the multiplayer experience better if it ever comes out.

They have to make a sequel or expansion. The community demands it :wink:

This game is unique, and I have no doubt it will win a fair amount of fans when it launches on Steam.
They could do Game Dev Tycoon 2 as ‘Early Access’ if they still need funding. Coders need food too.

They would have to change the gameplay quite a bit to allow for smooth multiplayer, though.
4+ players ‘on-the-fly’ would certainly not be an easy task, and they may have to make it some sort of turn based, to keep things fair. I’d really hate for it to become a speedclicking contest.

Oh…and please add a hot-seat multiplayer mode, so I can crush my kids puny studios, without mercy.

They should add Early Access for people who have bought the game.

I don’t really think we need a Dev Tycoon 2 its just hit steam and its going very well. The patch updates can keep the game running for such a long time. Especially with a community like this we will have a non stop stream of great ideas until they perfect this game and then realese a new one with a much better design xD

No we don’t need it NOW.

But they would have to change a lot just to add multiplayer. Maybe they want to beef up the graphics too, and add tons of other stuff discussed on the forum. They may have to write a brand new engine, for all we know.

We’re talking months, maybe years of coding, testing and debugging. And they’re just two guys on their first published game.

But that’s what makes Early Access great - you can follow the game from Alpha State to the finished product.

I absolutely do not expect to see such major changes to this version of the game. I do however expect a sequel.

In my opinion, competeing against other game companies that is AI should replace multiplayer.

I think there should be both of the options AI if you want of course, but there should be an option of you competing against someone.

That would be too much work and maintenance to verse someone…

That is why I believe this should be in the Future, when the company grows and can support such a thing.

1 Like

Just as someone made that GDT Calculator, there also must be someone out there able to an online matching tool.

1 Like

Hopefully someone can make the multiplayer :smile: because I really want to play with people and start up a company that is supported. So if I make a mistake I will have someone to back me up

The multiplayer I am wanting to see is that 4 players start at Year 1 in the game and they must hurry to develop good games. Messages would appear when a player releases a game showing their company name, game name, and average score for the game. The players would then have a certain amount of years to get the most profit of everyone else. The games players release also affect how well your game does so it’s smart to wait for the right time to release your game. Players could also make deals and develop a game together to make a bigger and better game. At least, that is what I am wanting to see.

I don’t think it should be just about the most profit, because making money in the game is very easy, but having quality games is much harder.

How about the highest average game score. Like 7.5 or 8.25 or stuff like that.

As in bundle all the game scores into one average.